Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Access files via a file share

Access files via a file share

Roger Twomey

I have two servers;

Windows 2000 IIS
Windows NT 4 [Interactive Voice Response... Telephone system]

I have a web application which needs to be able to access the voice files on the IVR system. Here is what I have tried:

Create an account on both machines called NB3. Passwords are the same on both machines.
I set my .Net app to use impersonation using the NB3 account.

The .Net app runs. I set my path the files as: \\IVR-A\NB3Sound\[filex.wav] etc.
From dot net I get the error: Could not find a part of the path "\\IVR-A\NB3Sound

When I check the security log on the IVR server I see an error:

Logon Failure:
Reason: An unexpected error occured during logon
User Name: NB3
Domain: Web-A
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: KSecDD
Authentication Package: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
Workstation Name: \\WEB-A

This is not an error which indicates a faulty username or password. I can see the NB3 is attempting to access the share; but something ???? goes wrong.

My impersonation string looks like this:

<identity impersonate="true"
userName="WEB-A\NB3"
password="[You didn't really think I would put it here did ya??]" />

Jim Brandley

Have you tried it with a valid domain user instead of two local users?
"Roger Twomey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I have two servers;

Windows 2000 IIS
Windows NT 4 [Interactive Voice Response... Telephone system]

I have a web application which needs to be able to access the voice files on the IVR system. Here is what I have tried:

Create an account on both machines called NB3. Passwords are the same on both machines.
I set my .Net app to use impersonation using the NB3 account.

The .Net app runs. I set my path the files as: \\IVR-A\NB3Sound\[filex.wav] etc.
From dot net I get the error: Could not find a part of the path "\\IVR-A\NB3Sound

When I check the security log on the IVR server I see an error:

Logon Failure:
Reason: An unexpected error occured during logon
User Name: NB3
Domain: Web-A
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: KSecDD
Authentication Package: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
Workstation Name: \\WEB-A

This is not an error which indicates a faulty username or password. I can see the NB3 is attempting to access the share; but something ???? goes wrong.

My impersonation string looks like this:

<identity impersonate="true"
userName="WEB-A\NB3"
password="[You didn't really think I would put it here did ya??]" />

Sandy Murdock

We do not use a windows 2000 domain for this network.

Sandy Murdock MCP