Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Can I encrypt aspx code?

Reply
Thread Tools

Can I encrypt aspx code?

 
 
Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2005
In ASP.NET 2.0 you'll be able to compile your ASPX files directly into the
DLL, so that should solve your problem.
It's rumored beta 2 will will be out later this month.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
http://SteveOrr.net


"Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Say I develop an application that has an SQL Server 2000 back end with
> ASP.NET front end. All the business logic is in the aspx pages. I want
> to sell this as a package that some one can install on their server or
> even desktop (replace SQL Server with MSDE). I don't want people reverse
> engineering the logic inside of the aspx pages. Is there a way to prevent
> this?
>
> Also, I could probably put most all of the logic inside of a VB.NET EXE.
> There would still need to be some logic in the aspx pages so I can't
> completely get away from it. Any suggestions on a good method for this?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brett
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2005
Will it be worth it to upgrade to 2.0 beta? I think it is risky but there
isn't any other way to compile the aspx files into DLLs.

Will I need to change any code to work with 2.0 beta?

thanks,
Brett
"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Brett,
>
> Check the details here on compilation in ASP.NET 2.0:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/wh...ternals_topic3
>
> As for the release, my guess is late fall for the final release. I'm
> guessing September 25th for the beta 2 which should include a "Go Live"
> option.
>
> Ken
> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
>
> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks. That's pretty neat. Have you used that program?
>>
>> What will .NET 2.0 offer in this way? Also, when will it be released?
>>
>> It will probably be a while until I will upgrade to .NET 2.0 since the
>> first version will probably be a little rough around the edges.
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2005
The code should work with the 2.0 beta given that backwards compatibility
was a priority.

The problem is that you'll need to have the beta on the server and then
upgrade/rebuild for the release. I'd wait a few more days to check on the
stability of the 2.0 beta.

"Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will it be worth it to upgrade to 2.0 beta? I think it is risky but there
> isn't any other way to compile the aspx files into DLLs.
>
> Will I need to change any code to work with 2.0 beta?
>
> thanks,
> Brett
> "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Brett,
>>
>> Check the details here on compilation in ASP.NET 2.0:
>>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/wh...ternals_topic3
>>
>> As for the release, my guess is late fall for the final release. I'm
>> guessing September 25th for the beta 2 which should include a "Go Live"
>> option.
>>
>> Ken
>> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
>>
>> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks. That's pretty neat. Have you used that program?
>>>
>>> What will .NET 2.0 offer in this way? Also, when will it be released?
>>>
>>> It will probably be a while until I will upgrade to .NET 2.0 since the
>>> first version will probably be a little rough around the edges.
>>>

>>

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brett
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2005
Will people running my ASP.NET app also need 2.0? That will be an issue as
most will want to stay with a more stable 1.1.

Brett

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> The code should work with the 2.0 beta given that backwards compatibility
> was a priority.
>
> The problem is that you'll need to have the beta on the server and then
> upgrade/rebuild for the release. I'd wait a few more days to check on the
> stability of the 2.0 beta.
>
> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Will it be worth it to upgrade to 2.0 beta? I think it is risky but
>> there isn't any other way to compile the aspx files into DLLs.
>>
>> Will I need to change any code to work with 2.0 beta?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Brett
>> "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi Brett,
>>>
>>> Check the details here on compilation in ASP.NET 2.0:
>>>
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/wh...ternals_topic3
>>>
>>> As for the release, my guess is late fall for the final release. I'm
>>> guessing September 25th for the beta 2 which should include a "Go Live"
>>> option.
>>>
>>> Ken
>>> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
>>>
>>> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Thanks. That's pretty neat. Have you used that program?
>>>>
>>>> What will .NET 2.0 offer in this way? Also, when will it be released?
>>>>
>>>> It will probably be a while until I will upgrade to .NET 2.0 since the
>>>> first version will probably be a little rough around the edges.
>>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Juan T. Llibre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2005
No. They'll only need a browser.
( If you're talking about web applications... )

For Windows apps, they'd need the 2.0 framework, too.



Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
http://asp.net.do/foros/
Foros de ASP.NET en Español
Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
======================

"Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will people running my ASP.NET app also need 2.0? That will be an issue
> as most will want to stay with a more stable 1.1.
>
> Brett
>
> "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The code should work with the 2.0 beta given that backwards compatibility
>> was a priority.
>>
>> The problem is that you'll need to have the beta on the server and then
>> upgrade/rebuild for the release. I'd wait a few more days to check on the
>> stability of the 2.0 beta.
>>
>> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Will it be worth it to upgrade to 2.0 beta? I think it is risky but
>>> there isn't any other way to compile the aspx files into DLLs.
>>>
>>> Will I need to change any code to work with 2.0 beta?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Brett
>>> "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Hi Brett,
>>>>
>>>> Check the details here on compilation in ASP.NET 2.0:
>>>>
>>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/wh...ternals_topic3
>>>>
>>>> As for the release, my guess is late fall for the final release. I'm
>>>> guessing September 25th for the beta 2 which should include a "Go Live"
>>>> option.
>>>>
>>>> Ken
>>>> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
>>>>
>>>> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> Thanks. That's pretty neat. Have you used that program?
>>>>>
>>>>> What will .NET 2.0 offer in this way? Also, when will it be released?
>>>>>
>>>>> It will probably be a while until I will upgrade to .NET 2.0 since the
>>>>> first version will probably be a little rough around the edges.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>

>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Brett
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2005
I'm referring to some one installing the ASP.NET app on their Win Server.
If I developed it in 2.0, seems as though they would need 2.0 to run it
correct?


"Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will people running my ASP.NET app also need 2.0? That will be an issue
> as most will want to stay with a more stable 1.1.
>
> Brett
>
> "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The code should work with the 2.0 beta given that backwards compatibility
>> was a priority.
>>
>> The problem is that you'll need to have the beta on the server and then
>> upgrade/rebuild for the release. I'd wait a few more days to check on the
>> stability of the 2.0 beta.
>>
>> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Will it be worth it to upgrade to 2.0 beta? I think it is risky but
>>> there isn't any other way to compile the aspx files into DLLs.
>>>
>>> Will I need to change any code to work with 2.0 beta?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Brett
>>> "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Hi Brett,
>>>>
>>>> Check the details here on compilation in ASP.NET 2.0:
>>>>
>>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/wh...ternals_topic3
>>>>
>>>> As for the release, my guess is late fall for the final release. I'm
>>>> guessing September 25th for the beta 2 which should include a "Go Live"
>>>> option.
>>>>
>>>> Ken
>>>> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
>>>>
>>>> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> Thanks. That's pretty neat. Have you used that program?
>>>>>
>>>>> What will .NET 2.0 offer in this way? Also, when will it be released?
>>>>>
>>>>> It will probably be a while until I will upgrade to .NET 2.0 since the
>>>>> first version will probably be a little rough around the edges.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>

>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Juan T. Llibre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2005
In that case, yes, they'll need to have the 2.0 Framework installed.



Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
http://asp.net.do/foros/
Foros de ASP.NET en Español
Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
======================

"Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm referring to some one installing the ASP.NET app on their Win Server.
> If I developed it in 2.0, seems as though they would need 2.0 to run it
> correct?
>
>
> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Will people running my ASP.NET app also need 2.0? That will be an issue
>> as most will want to stay with a more stable 1.1.
>>
>> Brett
>>
>> "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The code should work with the 2.0 beta given that backwards
>>> compatibility was a priority.
>>>
>>> The problem is that you'll need to have the beta on the server and then
>>> upgrade/rebuild for the release. I'd wait a few more days to check on
>>> the stability of the 2.0 beta.
>>>
>>> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Will it be worth it to upgrade to 2.0 beta? I think it is risky but
>>>> there isn't any other way to compile the aspx files into DLLs.
>>>>
>>>> Will I need to change any code to work with 2.0 beta?
>>>>
>>>> thanks,
>>>> Brett
>>>> "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>> message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> Hi Brett,
>>>>>
>>>>> Check the details here on compilation in ASP.NET 2.0:
>>>>>
>>>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/wh...ternals_topic3
>>>>>
>>>>> As for the release, my guess is late fall for the final release. I'm
>>>>> guessing September 25th for the beta 2 which should include a "Go
>>>>> Live" option.
>>>>>
>>>>> Ken
>>>>> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
>>>>>
>>>>> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>>> Thanks. That's pretty neat. Have you used that program?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> What will .NET 2.0 offer in this way? Also, when will it be
>>>>>> released?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> It will probably be a while until I will upgrade to .NET 2.0 since
>>>>>> the first version will probably be a little rough around the edges.
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2005
The Web server will need to run the same build of 2.0 that you compiled
with. That's where things get messy since it will be a beta and some people
shy away from installing betas.

"Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will people running my ASP.NET app also need 2.0? That will be an issue
> as most will want to stay with a more stable 1.1.
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brett
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2005
Where exactly is the download link for the program below?

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Brett,
>
> If the logic is in the codebehind, you can obfuscate it with a tool like
> this:
>
> http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspos.../Overview.html
>
> I'm not aware of a tool that does the same for logic that is in .aspx
> files. Of course if you can wait until the .NET 2.0 beta....
>
> Ken
>
> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Say I develop an application that has an SQL Server 2000 back end with
>> ASP.NET front end. All the business logic is in the aspx pages. I want
>> to sell this as a package that some one can install on their server or
>> even desktop (replace SQL Server with MSDE). I don't want people reverse
>> engineering the logic inside of the aspx pages. Is there a way to
>> prevent this?
>>
>> Also, I could probably put most all of the logic inside of a VB.NET EXE.
>> There would still need to be some logic in the aspx pages so I can't
>> completely get away from it. Any suggestions on a good method for this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brett
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Michel de Becdelièvre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2005
Never used one so far. So I have no opinion.

"Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I see what the obfuscators do now:
>http://www.devdirect.com/ALL/OBFUSCA...PCAT_2014.aspx. Do you have a
>preference for one? Possibly free?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett
>
> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm new to ASP.NET. What are the file extensions that the compiled code
>> behind is stored in? Are you referring to ASP.NET or VB.NET code when
>> you say compiled?
>>
>> When you say library, are you referring to say a VB.NET DLL that the aspx
>> pages create an object for?
>>
>> Can you elaborate on this a little more: "then you can use one of several
>> JIT obfuscator to make reverse engeneering harder." Would this have any
>> performance hit?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brett
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can Encrypt web.config but website can't read values -Steve- ASP .Net 0 08-18-2006 04:25 PM
adding main.aspx.vb & main.aspx.resx under aspx John M ASP .Net 1 05-29-2005 09:27 PM
encrypt .aspx file content Loane Sharp ASP .Net Security 4 12-30-2004 01:55 AM
encrypt .aspx file Loane Sharp ASP .Net 3 12-26-2004 06:04 PM
Encrypt in Perl, De-encrypt in Javascript http://ejobseek.com Perl Misc 3 09-01-2003 07:34 PM



Advertisments