Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Can I encrypt aspx code?

Can I encrypt aspx code?

Brett

Say I develop an application that has an SQL Server 2000 back end with
ASP.NET front end. All the business logic is in the aspx pages. I want to
sell this as a package that some one can install on their server or even
desktop (replace SQL Server with MSDE). I don't want people reverse
engineering the logic inside of the aspx pages. Is there a way to prevent
this?

Also, I could probably put most all of the logic inside of a VB.NET EXE.
There would still need to be some logic in the aspx pages so I can't
completely get away from it. Any suggestions on a good method for this?

Thanks,
Brett

Michel de Becdelièvre

How about putting the business logic in the compiled code behind ? Or better
in a library called by code behind or aspx ?

then you can use one of several JIT obfuscator to make reverse engeneering
harder.

The whole point of aspx is that it is compiled "at first call".

"Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> Say I develop an application that has an SQL Server 2000 back end with
> ASP.NET front end. All the business logic is in the aspx pages. I want
> to sell this as a package that some one can install on their server or
> even desktop (replace SQL Server with MSDE). I don't want people reverse
> engineering the logic inside of the aspx pages. Is there a way to prevent
> this?
>
> Also, I could probably put most all of the logic inside of a VB.NET EXE.
> There would still need to be some logic in the aspx pages so I can't
> completely get away from it. Any suggestions on a good method for this?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Brett,

If the logic is in the codebehind, you can obfuscate it with a tool like
this:

http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspos.../Overview.html

I'm not aware of a tool that does the same for logic that is in .aspx files.
Of course if you can wait until the .NET 2.0 beta....

Ken

"Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Say I develop an application that has an SQL Server 2000 back end with
> ASP.NET front end. All the business logic is in the aspx pages. I want
> to sell this as a package that some one can install on their server or
> even desktop (replace SQL Server with MSDE). I don't want people reverse
> engineering the logic inside of the aspx pages. Is there a way to prevent
> this?
>
> Also, I could probably put most all of the logic inside of a VB.NET EXE.
> There would still need to be some logic in the aspx pages so I can't
> completely get away from it. Any suggestions on a good method for this?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

Brett

I'm new to ASP.NET. What are the file extensions that the compiled code
behind is stored in? Are you referring to ASP.NET or VB.NET code when you
say compiled?

When you say library, are you referring to say a VB.NET DLL that the aspx
pages create an object for?

Can you elaborate on this a little more: "then you can use one of several
JIT obfuscator to make reverse engeneering harder." Would this have any
performance hit?

Thanks,
Brett

"Michel de Becdelièvre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> How about putting the business logic in the compiled code behind ? Or
> better in a library called by code behind or aspx ?
>
> then you can use one of several JIT obfuscator to make reverse engeneering
> harder.
>
> The whole point of aspx is that it is compiled "at first call".
>
> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> (E-Mail Removed)...
>> Say I develop an application that has an SQL Server 2000 back end with
>> ASP.NET front end. All the business logic is in the aspx pages. I want
>> to sell this as a package that some one can install on their server or
>> even desktop (replace SQL Server with MSDE). I don't want people reverse
>> engineering the logic inside of the aspx pages. Is there a way to
>> prevent this?
>>
>> Also, I could probably put most all of the logic inside of a VB.NET EXE.
>> There would still need to be some logic in the aspx pages so I can't
>> completely get away from it. Any suggestions on a good method for this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brett

Brett

Thanks. That's pretty neat. Have you used that program?

What will .NET 2.0 offer in this way? Also, when will it be released?

It will probably be a while until I will upgrade to .NET 2.0 since the first
version will probably be a little rough around the edges.

Brett
"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Brett,
>
> If the logic is in the codebehind, you can obfuscate it with a tool like
> this:
>
> http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspos.../Overview.html
>
> I'm not aware of a tool that does the same for logic that is in .aspx
> files. Of course if you can wait until the .NET 2.0 beta....
>
> Ken
>
> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Say I develop an application that has an SQL Server 2000 back end with
>> ASP.NET front end. All the business logic is in the aspx pages. I want
>> to sell this as a package that some one can install on their server or
>> even desktop (replace SQL Server with MSDE). I don't want people reverse
>> engineering the logic inside of the aspx pages. Is there a way to
>> prevent this?
>>
>> Also, I could probably put most all of the logic inside of a VB.NET EXE.
>> There would still need to be some logic in the aspx pages so I can't
>> completely get away from it. Any suggestions on a good method for this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brett

Brett

I see what the obfuscators do now:
http://www.devdirect.com/ALL/OBFUSCA...PCAT_2014.aspx. Do you have a
preference for one? Possibly free?

Thanks,
Brett

"Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm new to ASP.NET. What are the file extensions that the compiled code
> behind is stored in? Are you referring to ASP.NET or VB.NET code when you
> say compiled?
>
> When you say library, are you referring to say a VB.NET DLL that the aspx
> pages create an object for?
>
> Can you elaborate on this a little more: "then you can use one of several
> JIT obfuscator to make reverse engeneering harder." Would this have any
> performance hit?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett
>
> "Michel de Becdelièvre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How about putting the business logic in the compiled code behind ? Or
>> better in a library called by code behind or aspx ?
>>
>> then you can use one of several JIT obfuscator to make reverse
>> engeneering harder.
>>
>> The whole point of aspx is that it is compiled "at first call".
>>
>> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> (E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Say I develop an application that has an SQL Server 2000 back end with
>>> ASP.NET front end. All the business logic is in the aspx pages. I want
>>> to sell this as a package that some one can install on their server or
>>> even desktop (replace SQL Server with MSDE). I don't want people
>>> reverse engineering the logic inside of the aspx pages. Is there a way
>>> to prevent this?
>>>
>>> Also, I could probably put most all of the logic inside of a VB.NET EXE.
>>> There would still need to be some logic in the aspx pages so I can't
>>> completely get away from it. Any suggestions on a good method for this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Brett

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Brett,

Check the details here on compilation in ASP.NET 2.0:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/wh...ternals_topic3

As for the release, my guess is late fall for the final release. I'm
guessing September 25th for the beta 2 which should include a "Go Live"
option.

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

"Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks. That's pretty neat. Have you used that program?
>
> What will .NET 2.0 offer in this way? Also, when will it be released?
>
> It will probably be a while until I will upgrade to .NET 2.0 since the
> first version will probably be a little rough around the edges.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
>I'm guessing September 25th for the beta 2

That seems rather far away...

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
http://asp.net.do/foros/
Foros de ASP.NET en Español
Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
======================

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Brett,
>
> Check the details here on compilation in ASP.NET 2.0:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/wh...ternals_topic3
>
> As for the release, my guess is late fall for the final release. I'm
> guessing September 25th for the beta 2 which should include a "Go Live"
> option.
>
> Ken
> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
>
> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks. That's pretty neat. Have you used that program?
>>
>> What will .NET 2.0 offer in this way? Also, when will it be released?
>>
>> It will probably be a while until I will upgrade to .NET 2.0 since the
>> first version will probably be a little rough around the edges.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Oops. I meant April 25th. <grin>

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> re:
>>I'm guessing September 25th for the beta 2

> That seems rather far away...

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Oops. I mean to guess April 25th for beta 2. My guess for the final release
is late fall.