Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Invisible posts in Thunderbird?

Invisible posts in Thunderbird?

MEow

I've recently installed Thunderbird to give it a try, seeing as Agent
decided to act up on me after switching computers, I can't really find a
way to solve it, I missed usenet, and I've been curious about
Thunderbird anyway. Well, it will take some getting used to compared to
Agent, but there's one thing which really irks me:

Sometimes Thunderbird claims that there's unread messages, but unfolding
the thread reveals only read messages, and yet it still insists that
there's unread messages in the thread when I collapse it again. That can
be fixed by pressing "r", but why does it do this? Have I set up
something wrongly?

Kind regards,
Nikitta

Tom Betz

Quoth MEow <(E-Mail Removed)> in news:32rad2F3p3ilpU1
@individual.net:

> Have I set up something wrongly?

I recommend against using Thunderbird as a Usenet client. It's a
good e-mail client, but the Usenet side is not yet ready for prime
time.

Get yourself a copy of Xnews at xnews.newsguy.com. After installing
5.04.25. go ahead and download the TEST version 6.12.01, as it is
very stable.

You'll be much happier.

--
George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every

Moz Champion

Tom Betz wrote:

> Quoth MEow <(E-Mail Removed)> in news:32rad2F3p3ilpU1
> @individual.net:
>

>>Have I set up something wrongly?

> I recommend against using Thunderbird as a Usenet client. It's a
> good e-mail client, but the Usenet side is not yet ready for prime
> time.
>
> Get yourself a copy of Xnews at xnews.newsguy.com. After installing
> 5.04.25. go ahead and download the TEST version 6.12.01, as it is
> very stable.
>
> You'll be much happier.

Thunderbird (or Mozilla suite) is a very useful news reader. It depends
on what you want of course.

To 'fix' your specific problem, delete the .msf files for the newsgroups
in question (the ones that show the incorrect counts). Just the .msf files.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

::..BRIAN..::

(On 12/21/2004 5:07 PM) Tom Betz wrote:
> Quoth MEow <(E-Mail Removed)> in news:32rad2F3p3ilpU1
> @individual.net:
>

>>Have I set up something wrongly?

> I recommend against using Thunderbird as a Usenet client. It's a
> good e-mail client, but the Usenet side is not yet ready for prime
> time.
>
> Get yourself a copy of Xnews at xnews.newsguy.com. After installing
> 5.04.25. go ahead and download the TEST version 6.12.01, as it is
> very stable.
>
> You'll be much happier.

I don't see anything wrong with using Thunderbird as a news client. But
that's just my opinion. It's clean and simple for reading all the
Usenet messages I want to see (all text). Obviously you have a problem
with using it, and choose something else. To each their own

--
Brian

Email Info--
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

MEow

Tom Betz wrote:

> I recommend against using Thunderbird as a Usenet client. It's a
> good e-mail client, but the Usenet side is not yet ready for prime
> time.
>
> Get yourself a copy of Xnews at xnews.newsguy.com. After installing
> 5.04.25. go ahead and download the TEST version 6.12.01, as it is
> very stable.
>
> You'll be much happier.

Either Xnews is a very complicated newsreader, I'm very stupid, or both ;0)
Well - I'll try if I can figure it out, as I don't think that
Thunderbird is for me for different reasons.

Kind regards,
Nikitta, who wishes you a happy solstice.

MEow wrote:
> I've recently installed Thunderbird to give it a try, seeing as Agent
> decided to act up on me after switching computers, I can't really find a
> way to solve it, I missed usenet, and I've been curious about
> Thunderbird anyway. Well, it will take some getting used to compared to
> Agent, but there's one thing which really irks me:
>
> Sometimes Thunderbird claims that there's unread messages, but unfolding
> the thread reveals only read messages, and yet it still insists that
> there's unread messages in the thread when I collapse it again. That can
> be fixed by pressing "r", but why does it do this? Have I set up
> something wrongly?

I get that too, sometimes.

It's odd ... and nothing seems to fix it.

I've tried deleting the .msf, Unsubscribing and re-Subscribing, and even
removing the News account, deleting the old News account directory under
Profiles and reAdding the News account ... nothing fixes it permanently.

It comes and goes, seemingly at random.

At first I was worried I was missing posts but checking with Google
Groups convinced me I wasn't, so I've just learned to ignore it.

MEow

Tom Betz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns95C6AE38B5719greenriverordinance@166.84.1. 69:

> Get yourself a copy of Xnews at xnews.newsguy.com. After installing
> 5.04.25. go ahead and download the TEST version 6.12.01, as it is
> very stable.
>
> You'll be much happier.

Well, it seems I'm figuring it out bit by bit, and it isn't so hard. Now I
can also see a picture next to your name.

Well - I won't bother this group with too much off topic stuff (I imagine
this to be off topic), but thanks for the tip! I already like its short-
cuts, as I much prefer that to using the mouse.

Kind regards,
Nikitta, the human cat-sofa

Danny Colyer

MEow wrote:
> Sometimes Thunderbird claims that there's unread messages, but unfolding
> the thread reveals only read messages, and yet it still insists that
> there's unread messages in the thread when I collapse it again. That can
> be fixed by pressing "r", but why does it do this? Have I set up
> something wrongly?

Do you often mark threads as ignored? I find that occasionally TB will
include messages from ignored threads in its count of unread messages
for a ng. If I choose to view unthreaded, all messages, then those
messages will appear in the list.

The simplest solution is to mark everything as unread (ctrl-shift-c).

I used to have the same problem in OE.