Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Common word missing in Thunderbird Spell Check

Common word missing in Thunderbird Spell Check

Jim

Sure it's easy to add, but one would have expected the word
gauge might be found in the spell checker.

John

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:27:02 -0600, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sure it's easy to add, but one would have expected the word
>gauge might be found in the spell checker.

You're right - one would have expected that.However, since apparently it isn't,
you have two choices: Add it, or worry about it if this is your biggest
problem.

Have a blessed Christmas!

Jim

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:32:27 -0500, John <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:27:02 -0600, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Sure it's easy to add, but one would have expected the word
>>gauge might be found in the spell checker.

>You're right - one would have expected that.However, since apparently it isn't,
>you have two choices: Add it, or worry about it if this is your biggest
>problem.
>
>Have a blessed Christmas!

I added it of course. I posted here hoping someone from the mozilla
group working on t-bird might see this. didn't see any other way to
feed this back...it certainly is not a bug.

::..BRIAN..::

(On 12/21/2004 12:07 AM) Jim wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:32:27 -0500, John <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:27:02 -0600, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Sure it's easy to add, but one would have expected the word
>>>gauge might be found in the spell checker.

>>You're right - one would have expected that.However, since apparently it isn't,
>>you have two choices: Add it, or worry about it if this is your biggest
>>problem.
>>
>>Have a blessed Christmas!

> I added it of course. I posted here hoping someone from the mozilla
> group working on t-bird might see this. didn't see any other way to
> feed this back...it certainly is not a bug.

Mozilla uses an open source dictionary. And you aren't the first person
to ever come up with this idea. I'm just happy Thunderbird actually
*has* a spell checker now.
--
Brian

Email Info--
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

Danny Colyer

Jim wrote:
> Sure it's easy to add, but one would have expected the word
> gauge might be found in the spell checker.

Dunno which dictionary you're using, but it's in the UK English version.

Jim

I'm on the other side of the big pond. Don't recall what
the procedure was in downloading tbird 1.0, but did I
perhaps specify that I wanted a US version? I don't
see any options to swap dictionaries in the existing
browser. it definitely arrived without gauge in it - it
had a number of other strange suggestions to replace
that word.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:26:14 +0000, Danny Colyer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jim wrote:
>> Sure it's easy to add, but one would have expected the word
>> gauge might be found in the spell checker.

>Dunno which dictionary you're using, but it's in the UK English version.

Moz Champion

Jim wrote:

> Sure it's easy to add, but one would have expected the word
> gauge might be found in the spell checker.

The open source dictionary that Thunderbird utilizes contains but 40,000
words. Even the Netscape propietary dictionary contains 120,000 words
and there are other dictionaries that contain more.

The open source dictionary is intended as a 'starter' dictionary, its a
basic one and doesnt even include many useful online terms. Its
advantage is, as you even note, that its simple to add to

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Nobody

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:11:33 -0600, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm on the other side of the big pond. Don't recall what
>the procedure was in downloading tbird 1.0, but did I
>perhaps specify that I wanted a US version? I don't
>see any options to swap dictionaries in the existing
>browser. it definitely arrived without gauge in it - it
>had a number of other strange suggestions to replace
>that word.
>

>On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:26:14 +0000, Danny Colyer
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Jim wrote:
>>> Sure it's easy to add, but one would have expected the word
>>> gauge might be found in the spell checker.

>>Dunno which dictionary you're using, but it's in the UK English version.

This query is about TB, but I run Moz suite 1.7.2.

I have Spelll Check for Eng/Australia - Canada - New Zealand - UK -
US loaded..

Strangely enuf, the only database that kicked "gauge" out was the "US"
dictionary! Oh, grin, the US president who can't pronounce "nuclear"
prolly don't know how to spell <gauge> as well. He must provide the
database for Moz/TB!

High-lar-ious.

The Iraqis can and probably will win.

Tarapia Tapioco

What's hilarious, is that you're a ****ing idiot.

> The Iraqis can and probably will win.

Keep letting the "news" media blindly lead you. Too bad you don't know anything real going on there.

Justin

Tarapia Tapioco wrote on [Wed, 22 Dec 2004 03:42:41 +0100 (CET)]:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Nobody <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:11:33 -0600, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> >I'm on the other side of the big pond. Don't recall what
>> >the procedure was in downloading tbird 1.0, but did I
>> >perhaps specify that I wanted a US version? I don't
>> >see any options to swap dictionaries in the existing
>> >browser. it definitely arrived without gauge in it - it
>> >had a number of other strange suggestions to replace
>> >that word.

>> This query is about TB, but I run Moz suite 1.7.2.
>>
>> I have Spelll Check for Eng/Australia - Canada - New Zealand - UK -
>> US loaded..
>>
>> Strangely enuf, the only database that kicked "gauge" out was the "US"
>> dictionary! Oh, grin, the US president who can't pronounce "nuclear"
>> prolly don't know how to spell <gauge> as well. He must provide the
>> database for Moz/TB!
>>
>> High-lar-ious.

> What's hilarious, is that you're a ****ing idiot.

So's Bush.