RobertDoidge RobertDoidge is offline
Junior Member
Location: Marina, CA

I realize this is a VERY old thread, but when I do a Google search on "slow java ssl client connections", this thread is one of the most relevant results I find.

The problem above is actually a Java problem related to the WINS Name Service in Windows. Basically, a reverse DNS lookup during the SSL handshake causes a long timeout.

To fix the problem, cache your server address as an InetAddress object and reuse it in the Socket constructor whenever you are making a new connection to your server.

Thanks to Merav for emailing me his solution.