Velocity Reviews

-   -   Server disconnect after retrieving email (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t9938-server-disconnect-after-retrieving-email.html)

gwtx2 12-08-2004 12:51 AM

Server disconnect after retrieving email

I'm on dial-up. When I start Mozilla mail, it asks me for my password,
and then proceeds to download my new messages. Afterwards, if I reply
or send a new message, it ask me for the password again, but not again
if I send a second (or more) message.

I don't see any mail account settings which could cause a disconnect
from the mail server after downloading new messages. Am I missing this
option somewhere, or do I have a different problem? Thanks

Eric Miller 12-08-2004 08:49 PM

Re: Server disconnect after retrieving email

gwtx2 wrote:
> I'm on dial-up. When I start Mozilla mail, it asks me for my password,
> and then proceeds to download my new messages. Afterwards, if I reply
> or send a new message, it ask me for the password again, but not again
> if I send a second (or more) message.
>
> I don't see any mail account settings which could cause a disconnect
> from the mail server after downloading new messages. Am I missing this
> option somewhere, or do I have a different problem? Thanks

Could you have separate incoming and outgoing mail servers that require
separate authentication? I do, and this is how it works for me. It
asks me password once the first time I check incoming mail, and once the
first time I send mail.

Go to "View Settings for this Account", and see if the server listed in
"Outgoing Server" is different from what's in "Server Settings" for your
mail account.

-Eric

gwtx2 12-16-2004 08:17 PM

Re: Server disconnect after retrieving email

No, they are the same server. At work, I use Mozilla for personal mail
and the incoming server is different than the outgoing because the
company wants to check all mail for virus and stuff. It does not ask
for a password twice.

Eric Miller 12-17-2004 07:42 PM

gwtx2 wrote:
> No, they are the same server. At work, I use Mozilla for personal mail
> and the incoming server is different than the outgoing because the
> company wants to check all mail for virus and stuff. It does not ask
> for a password twice.

Are you using SSL for your outgoing server? If so, it seems to me you
should have to authenticate twice, since the incoming and outgoing ports
are different even if the server address is the same. That would
explain why you only have to authenticate on the *first* email you send out.

If you're not using SSL, then I can't imagine why you're being asked for
your password at all, since there's no authentication going on and it's
just a plain SMTP connection. Unless your ISP has some weird configuration.

I'm just sort of guessing here, anyway....

-Eric

gwtx2 12-18-2004 11:20 PM

Re: Server disconnect after retrieving email

Good point, but no, I'm not using SSL. I did find the problem, however.
In Mail and Newsgroup Accounts Settings, under Outgoing Server (SMTP),
the "Use Name and Password" option should not be checked. I unchecked
and now it doesn't ask for a password anymore. I'm not sure how it got
checked since this problem just suddenly appeared. Thanks for your
help.