Velocity Reviews

-   -   asp.net, OWC and excel (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t99049-asp-net-owc-and-excel.html)

=?Utf-8?B?cmljaGk=?= 03-21-2005 12:47 PM

asp.net, OWC and excel

Hello

I would be grateful if somebody could give me some advice on the best
practice.

I am using OWC, VBScript and HTTP handlers to populate OWC Pivot tables and
everything works fine. I transform my dataset into XML and persist this to
the browser where VBScript manipulates the display of the Pivot Table. I
think this works very well but i'm not sure whether its the best way to go
about things.

I now have a requirement to export a dataset to Excel which would be
straight forward but the requirement is to have different products on
seperate tabs. To do this I would have to automate excel and dump out the
dataset row by row to the relevent tab. I would be very grateful if somebody
could suggest the best way of doing this. I've read that automating Excel on
the server is not the best way to go and i'm not sure about using the OWC on
the server either.

Any help would be greatly received.

Thanks

Scott Allen 03-21-2005 02:57 PM

Re: asp.net, OWC and excel

Yes - automating Office software server side can cause you headaches.
If you have an intranet app supporting just a handful of users you
might be able to get away with it - otherwise I'd look a third party
component like Excel Writer:
http://officewriter.softartisans.com...writer-37.aspx

--
Scott