Velocity Reviews

-   -   Firefox and URL (DNS?) resolution trouble (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t9755-firefox-and-url-dns-resolution-trouble.html)

scorpius 11-13-2004 08:16 PM

Firefox and URL (DNS?) resolution trouble

I've noticed that the last 2-3 releases of Firefox browser have had
certain problems with resolving URL's to IP's. Namely, sometimes when
you enter or click a URL, it will take a while before actually finding
the server, or sometimes it will timeout. After this, when you click
the URL again, the site will be loaded immediately. Sometimes it also
helps to double or triple click the URL.
I've noticed this behavior on 3 computers so I consider this is a bug
(and a quite annoying one).
Anyone with similar problems, or maybe a solution to this issue?

Arne 11-13-2004 10:37 PM

Re: Firefox and URL (DNS?) resolution trouble

Once upon a time *scorpius* wrote:

> I've noticed that the last 2-3 releases of Firefox browser have had
> certain problems with resolving URL's to IP's. Namely, sometimes when
> you enter or click a URL, it will take a while before actually finding
> the server, or sometimes it will timeout. After this, when you click
> the URL again, the site will be loaded immediately. Sometimes it also
> helps to double or triple click the URL.
> I've noticed this behavior on 3 computers so I consider this is a bug
> (and a quite annoying one).
> Anyone with similar problems, or maybe a solution to this issue?

It's nothing to do with the browser. It's the DNS server at your ISP who
have problems with the resolving. My ISP hade really *big* problems last
winter, before they changed the servers.

--
/Arne
http://w1.978.telia.com/~u97802964/

scorpius 11-14-2004 09:49 AM

Arne <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message news:<71wld.8685$d5.73945@newsb.telia.net>...
> Once upon a time *scorpius* wrote:
>
> > I've noticed that the last 2-3 releases of Firefox browser have had
> > certain problems with resolving URL's to IP's. Namely, sometimes when
> > you enter or click a URL, it will take a while before actually finding
> > the server, or sometimes it will timeout. After this, when you click
> > the URL again, the site will be loaded immediately. Sometimes it also
> > helps to double or triple click the URL.
> > I've noticed this behavior on 3 computers so I consider this is a bug
> > (and a quite annoying one).
> > Anyone with similar problems, or maybe a solution to this issue?

> It's nothing to do with the browser. It's the DNS server at your ISP who
> have problems with the resolving. My ISP hade really *big* problems last
> winter, before they changed the servers.

I also thought it might have been ISP's issue. However, I've had the
same problem at three different ISP's, so I figured it might be
Firefox. Also, I haven't noticed any such problems with other internet
applications.

leonelm 11-22-2006 10:21 AM

Try disabling IPv6 lookups

I've had the same trouble, and this page provides lots of suggestions:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website

Disabling IPv6 lookups could work for you.