Velocity Reviews

-   -   Tablet suitable for a 5-year-old (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t965100-tablet-suitable-for-a-5-year-old.html)

Crash 10-09-2013 06:13 AM

Tablet suitable for a 5-year-old

My daughter would like to buy a tablet for her 5-year-old. Principle
uses are games suitable for that age-group and portability so that
said games are playable away from home. WIFI connectivity a must (I
presume to download said games).

Mention has been made of the Samsung Galaxy Tab2. Can anyone point me
at similar/better devices?

--
Crash McBash

Frank Williams 10-09-2013 07:11 AM

Re: Tablet suitable for a 5-year-old

On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 19:13:05 +1300, Crash <nogood@dontbother.invalid>
wrote:

>My daughter would like to buy a tablet for her 5-year-old. Principle
>uses are games suitable for that age-group and portability so that
>said games are playable away from home. WIFI connectivity a must (I
>presume to download said games).
>
>Mention has been made of the Samsung Galaxy Tab2. Can anyone point me
>at similar/better devices?

The iPad is the only thing to get as its used a lot in schools and far
more reliable that a Android one..

Frank Williams 10-09-2013 07:21 AM

wrote:

>My daughter would like to buy a tablet for her 5-year-old. Principle
>uses are games suitable for that age-group and portability so that
>said games are playable away from home. WIFI connectivity a must (I
>presume to download said games).
>
>Mention has been made of the Samsung Galaxy Tab2. Can anyone point me
>at similar/better devices?

Another point should a 5 year old be playing with such a device, seems
like the parents are copping out with there responsibilities.

Plus the medical proof that it stuffing up there eye site.

Malcolm 10-09-2013 04:59 PM

On Wed 09 Oct 2013 07:13:05 PM CDT, Crash wrote:

>My daughter would like to buy a tablet for her 5-year-old. Principle
>uses are games suitable for that age-group and portability so that
>said games are playable away from home. WIFI connectivity a must (I
>presume to download said games).
>
>Mention has been made of the Samsung Galaxy Tab2. Can anyone point me
>at similar/better devices?
>

>--
>Crash McBash

Hi
I have an ASUS TF101 that our six year old Son plays on and watches
converted oops I mean backup DVD's on. If your Sister doesn't mind
paying for the games then an iPad may be the way to go. His cousins
have an iPad but like to play on the ASUS because the free games (eg
angry birds) are limited on the iPad but not on the ASUS.

Not sure in NZ but kindles and nooks are popular around here.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) GNOME 3.8.4 Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

Bruce Sinclair 10-13-2013 11:02 PM

In article <4ns9599qccskaum0a0siqkd782mjie3c08@4ax.com>, Crash <nogood@dontbother.invalid> wrote:
>My daughter would like to buy a tablet for her 5-year-old. Principle
>uses are games suitable for that age-group and portability so that
>said games are playable away from home. WIFI connectivity a must (I
>presume to download said games).
>
>Mention has been made of the Samsung Galaxy Tab2. Can anyone point me
>at similar/better devices?

For a 5 year old ? ... wait until the "one day" sites (and similar) have
another of the "10 inch android tablets for $50" deals would be my
recommendation. :)

We have something similar (but it cost a few more $$) and it seems rock
solid. Android 4.0, 8 GB.

Enkidu 10-14-2013 04:45 AM

On 14/10/13 12:02, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <4ns9599qccskaum0a0siqkd782mjie3c08@4ax.com>, Crash <nogood@dontbother.invalid> wrote:
>> My daughter would like to buy a tablet for her 5-year-old. Principle
>> uses are games suitable for that age-group and portability so that
>> said games are playable away from home. WIFI connectivity a must (I
>> presume to download said games).
>>
>> Mention has been made of the Samsung Galaxy Tab2. Can anyone point me
>> at similar/better devices?

> For a 5 year old ? ... wait until the "one day" sites (and similar) have
> another of the "10 inch android tablets for $50" deals would be my
> recommendation. :)
>
> We have something similar (but it cost a few more $$) and it seems rock
> solid. Android 4.0, 8 GB.

I was disappointed with my cheap Android 10inch tablet. The Wifi is
rubbish. I can be three feet from the router and it will be having
problems. The iPad just works all the way into the bedroom (like all
Apple stuff, but that's no fun, eh?)

To all of you with smutty minds, the bedroom's the furthest point from
the router!

Cheers,

Clif

Crash 10-14-2013 06:04 AM

Re: Tablet suitable for a 5-year-old

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 23:02:32 GMT,
bruce.sinclair@NOSPAMORELSEagresearch.NOTco.NOTnz (Bruce Sinclair)
wrote:

>In article <4ns9599qccskaum0a0siqkd782mjie3c08@4ax.com>, Crash <nogood@dontbother.invalid> wrote:
>>My daughter would like to buy a tablet for her 5-year-old. Principle
>>uses are games suitable for that age-group and portability so that
>>said games are playable away from home. WIFI connectivity a must (I
>>presume to download said games).
>>
>>Mention has been made of the Samsung Galaxy Tab2. Can anyone point me
>>at similar/better devices?

>For a 5 year old ? ... wait until the "one day" sites (and similar) have
>another of the "10 inch android tablets for $50" deals would be my
>recommendation. :)
>
>We have something similar (but it cost a few more $$) and it seems rock
>solid. Android 4.0, 8 GB.

Thanks for all the responses. The Tab2 was a recommendation from my
grandsons new Primary School - but I doubt that had 5-year=old new
entrants in mind for this hardware.

My daughter thought that about $200 would be all that was needed so
she was happy when I found the $98 special at Harvey Norman (7" screen
but the rest of the specs not a lot lower than the Tab2).

A lot has changed since I started school (1955)!!

--
Crash McBash

Bruce Sinclair 10-14-2013 10:57 PM

In article <525b76de$1@news.actrix.co.nz>, Enkidu <enkidu@cliffp.com.cliffp.com> wrote:
>On 14/10/13 12:02, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article <4ns9599qccskaum0a0siqkd782mjie3c08@4ax.com>, Crash

> <nogood@dontbother.invalid> wrote:
>>> My daughter would like to buy a tablet for her 5-year-old. Principle
>>> uses are games suitable for that age-group and portability so that
>>> said games are playable away from home. WIFI connectivity a must (I
>>> presume to download said games).
>>>
>>> Mention has been made of the Samsung Galaxy Tab2. Can anyone point me
>>> at similar/better devices?

>> For a 5 year old ? ... wait until the "one day" sites (and similar) have
>> another of the "10 inch android tablets for $50" deals would be my
>> recommendation. :)
>>
>> We have something similar (but it cost a few more $$) and it seems rock
>> solid. Android 4.0, 8 GB.
>>

>I was disappointed with my cheap Android 10inch tablet. The Wifi is
>rubbish. I can be three feet from the router and it will be having
>problems. The iPad just works all the way into the bedroom (like all
>Apple stuff, but that's no fun, eh?)
>
>To all of you with smutty minds, the bedroom's the furthest point from
>the router!

<evil chuckle> ... he said "router" ... :)

I anything is not the answer, it's the question. The answer remains "no" (or
possibly "hell no!"). :)

Remember ... "for a 5 year old".

Enkidu 10-15-2013 05:56 AM

On 15/10/13 11:57, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <525b76de$1@news.actrix.co.nz>, Enkidu <enkidu@cliffp.com.cliffp.com> wrote:
>> On 14/10/13 12:02, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

>>> For a 5 year old ? ... wait until the "one day" sites (and similar) have
>>> another of the "10 inch android tablets for $50" deals would be my
>>> recommendation. :)
>>>
>>> We have something similar (but it cost a few more $$) and it seems rock
>>> solid. Android 4.0, 8 GB.
>>>

>> I was disappointed with my cheap Android 10inch tablet. The Wifi is
>> rubbish. I can be three feet from the router and it will be having
>> problems. The iPad just works all the way into the bedroom (like all
>> Apple stuff, but that's no fun, eh?)
>>
>> To all of you with smutty minds, the bedroom's the furthest point from
>> the router!

> <evil chuckle> ... he said "router" ... :)
>
> I anything is not the answer, it's the question. The answer remains "no" (or
> possibly "hell no!"). :)
>
> Remember ... "for a 5 year old".

My granddaughter has been using the iPad since well before she was 5.

Cheers,

Cliff

Bruce Sinclair 10-15-2013 11:06 PM

Re: Tablet suitable for a 5-year-old

In article <525cd919$1@news.actrix.co.nz>, Enkidu <enkidu@cliffp.com.cliffp.com> wrote:
(snip)
>My granddaughter has been using the iPad since well before she was 5.

I blame the parents. :)