Velocity Reviews

-   -   Happy 4th of July to those in the USA (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t962413-happy-4th-of-july-to-those-in-the-usa.html)

me 07-04-2013 05:37 PM

Happy 4th of July to those in the USA

http://edwardgruf.com/2012-03-17+18_...s/_DSC2848.jpg

Photo taken last spring of an eagle flying through the Yorktown
Battlefield with the flag flying free in the background.

Remember those who fought to give us our freedom.

Robert Coe 07-04-2013 08:30 PM

Re: Happy 4th of July to those in the USA

On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 13:37:34 -0400, me <me@mine.net> wrote:
:
: http://edwardgruf.com/2012-03-17+18_...s/_DSC2848.jpg
:
: Photo taken last spring of an eagle flying through the Yorktown
: Battlefield with the flag flying free in the background.
:
: Remember those who fought to give us our freedom.

What's he carrying? Some other bird's nest?

Bob

Jake29 07-04-2013 09:15 PM

Robert Coe wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 13:37:34 -0400, me <me@mine.net> wrote:
>>
>> http://edwardgruf.com/2012-03-17+18_...s/_DSC2848.jpg
>>
>> Photo taken last spring of an eagle flying through the Yorktown
>> Battlefield with the flag flying free in the background.
>>
>> Remember those who fought to give us our freedom.

> What's he carrying? Some other bird's nest?

Looks like grassy material to build a nest, not another bird's nest. I saw
something similar on a PBS broadcast of the show "Nature" (American Eagle)
that has been airing for the past few days:
http://video.pbs.org/video/1069726516/ .

me 07-05-2013 10:31 AM

On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 16:30:44 -0400, Robert Coe <bob@1776.COM> wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 13:37:34 -0400, me <me@mine.net> wrote:
>:
>: http://edwardgruf.com/2012-03-17+18_...s/_DSC2848.jpg
>:
>: Photo taken last spring of an eagle flying through the Yorktown
>: Battlefield with the flag flying free in the background.
>:
>: Remember those who fought to give us our freedom.
>
>What's he carrying? Some other bird's nest?

Pine straw as nest building material. The nest is fairly close by.

Robert Coe 07-05-2013 10:33 PM

On Thu, 4 Jul 2013 17:15:03 -0400, "Jake29" <Jake29@hfsrvhu.kts> wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
: > On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 13:37:34 -0400, me <me@mine.net> wrote:
: >>
: >> http://edwardgruf.com/2012-03-17+18_...s/_DSC2848.jpg
: >>
: >> Photo taken last spring of an eagle flying through the Yorktown
: >> Battlefield with the flag flying free in the background.
: >>
: >> Remember those who fought to give us our freedom.
:
: > What's he carrying? Some other bird's nest?
:
: Looks like grassy material to build a nest, not another bird's nest. I saw
: something similar on a PBS broadcast of the show "Nature" (American Eagle)
: that has been airing for the past few days:
: http://video.pbs.org/video/1069726516/ .

Well, he might have stolen that grassy material from another bird. There are
some who consider eagles to be shady characters - shiftless, misanthropic, and
greedy. Legend has it that Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be named our
national bird, because he considered it to be a more sober, hardworking animal
than the eagle. (He might also have said "stupider than the eagle", but we'll
let that pass.) But those who admired the eagle's fine feathered look and
sharp, savage talons held sway.

Anyway, let the world know that we Americans still pay lip service to the
principles expressed in our Declaration of Independence. And if the king of
England wasn't as bad as we made him out to be, the right to exaggerate was as
operative then as it is now. Anyway, we could legitimately claim the right to
govern ourselves, and on the whole, that hasn't worked out too badly.

Bob

Tim Conway 07-06-2013 07:56 PM

"me" <me@mine.net> wrote in message

> http://edwardgruf.com/2012-03-17+18_...s/_DSC2848.jpg
>
> Photo taken last spring of an eagle flying through the Yorktown
> Battlefield with the flag flying free in the background.
>
> Remember those who fought to give us our freedom.

Dynamite shot!!!
Only thing you could hope for to be different is if the eagle would be a
hair to the right so as not to be intersecting with the flagpole, but hey,
that is just nitpicking. Excellent shot, thanks for sharing.

PeterN 07-06-2013 11:31 PM

On 7/4/2013 5:15 PM, Jake29 wrote:
> Robert Coe wrote:
>> On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 13:37:34 -0400, me <me@mine.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> http://edwardgruf.com/2012-03-17+18_...s/_DSC2848.jpg
>>>
>>> Photo taken last spring of an eagle flying through the Yorktown
>>> Battlefield with the flag flying free in the background.
>>>
>>> Remember those who fought to give us our freedom.

>> What's he carrying? Some other bird's nest?

> Looks like grassy material to build a nest, not another bird's nest. I saw
> something similar on a PBS broadcast of the show "Nature" (American Eagle)
> that has been airing for the past few days:
> http://video.pbs.org/video/1069726516/ .

Eagles are not the only birds that carry materials to their nest. ;-)

<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/anhinga%20the%20next%20buildeer.jpg>

--
PeterN

Mort 07-08-2013 08:58 PM

me wrote:

> http://edwardgruf.com/2012-03-17+18_...s/_DSC2848.jpg
>
> Photo taken last spring of an eagle flying through the Yorktown
> Battlefield with the flag flying free in the background.
>
> Remember those who fought to give us our freedom.

Thanks for the greeting, and for the great photograph.

I once spent a July 4th in Paris, as a guest of friends. We were in an
upstairs restaurant near the Notre Dame Cathedral. Soon after dark,
there was a beautiful fireworks display seen through the large picture
windows, and the waiter explained that the French government does that
every July 4th, in honor of the Americans. It was touching.

Regards,

Mort Linder