Velocity Reviews

-   -   Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenlyenforce registration? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t962319-did-the-free-photo-uploading-site-picturepush-com-suddenlyenforce-registration.html)

Danny D. 07-01-2013 07:29 PM

Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenlyenforce registration?

I've been posting screenshots for nntp posts to picturepush.com for
about a year now, without having to register, using this URL:
http://picturepush.com/upa

Now, suddenly, as of today, that URL seems to require a registration.

Is it just me (perhaps I went over some limit?) or for everyone?

If it's for everyone, that's too bad. Now I need a new freeware
screenshot image-sharing site which requires no registration.

Googling, Flickr is often listed as the best, but, it's a royal
pain to get a DIRECT link to the screenshot itself:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7349/9...04a372d5_c.jpg

On Flickr, I have to search for the image on Google, and then use
that link to post back here.

So, my question for freeware and photo buffs:

Q: What do you use for posting screenshots to be included as
links in nntp posts that is (a) free, and (b) requires no
registration?

FromTheRafters 07-01-2013 07:44 PM

Re: Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenly enforce registration?

Danny D. submitted this idea :
> I've been posting screenshots for nntp posts to picturepush.com for
> about a year now, without having to register, using this URL:
> http://picturepush.com/upa
>
> Now, suddenly, as of today, that URL seems to require a registration.
>
> Is it just me (perhaps I went over some limit?) or for everyone?
>
> If it's for everyone, that's too bad. Now I need a new freeware
> screenshot image-sharing site which requires no registration.
>
> Googling, Flickr is often listed as the best, but, it's a royal
> pain to get a DIRECT link to the screenshot itself:
> http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7349/9...04a372d5_c.jpg
>
> On Flickr, I have to search for the image on Google, and then use
> that link to post back here.
>
> So, my question for freeware and photo buffs:
>
> Q: What do you use for posting screenshots to be included as
> links in nntp posts that is (a) free, and (b) requires no
> registration?

Tinypic. It has a CAPTCHA but that's it.

nospam 07-01-2013 07:52 PM

Re: Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenly enforce registration?

In article <pan.2013.07.01.19.25.55@fakedomain.com>, Danny D.
<DannyD@is.invalid> wrote:

> Q: What do you use for posting screenshots to be included as
> links in nntp posts that is (a) free, and (b) requires no
> registration?

many of them, including imgur and tinypic

Danny D. 07-01-2013 08:18 PM

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:44:42 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:

> Tinypic. It has a CAPTCHA but that's it.

Thanks. Tinypic seems to work well.
http://i41.tinypic.com/judao7.png

Even the Captcha is pretty easy, as they don't obfuscate
the letters (you simply have to type a short phrase).

If it's not too bad on the advertisement side, for the
viewer, then it's a keeper!

Danny D. 07-01-2013 08:24 PM

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:52:25 -0400, nospam wrote:

> many of them, including imgur and tinypic

Testing imgur.com ...
a. Press "Computer" & select screenshot & press "OK"
b. Press "Start Upload"
c. Click on the uploaded screenshot & grab the URL from the address bar

http://i.imgur.com/syPIhI6.png

Assessment:
Imgur worked fine!
Thanks.

FromTheRafters 07-01-2013 09:15 PM

Re: Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenly enforce registration?

Danny D. presented the following explanation :
> On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:44:42 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:
>
>> Tinypic. It has a CAPTCHA but that's it.

> Thanks. Tinypic seems to work well.
> http://i41.tinypic.com/judao7.png
>
> Even the Captcha is pretty easy, as they don't obfuscate
> the letters (you simply have to type a short phrase).
>
> If it's not too bad on the advertisement side, for the
> viewer, then it's a keeper!

The one for layouts gives you the most direct link IIRC.

Jon Danniken 07-01-2013 10:52 PM

On 07/01/2013 01:24 PM, Danny D. wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:52:25 -0400, nospam wrote:
>
>> many of them, including imgur and tinypic

> Testing imgur.com ...
> a. Press "Computer" & select screenshot & press "OK"
> b. Press "Start Upload"
> c. Click on the uploaded screenshot & grab the URL from the address bar
>
> http://i.imgur.com/syPIhI6.png
>
> Assessment:
> Imgur worked fine!
> Thanks.

imgur is the one I use all the time, now that most of the other ones are
riddled with ads and/or registration and/or captchas. imgur also makes
it really easy to directly link to the file, without registration.

Jon

Roori 07-02-2013 09:10 AM

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 22:15:29 +0100, FromTheRafters wrote:

> Danny D. presented the following explanation :
>> On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:44:42 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:
>>
>>> Tinypic. It has a CAPTCHA but that's it.

>> Thanks. Tinypic seems to work well.
>> http://i41.tinypic.com/judao7.png
>>
>> Even the Captcha is pretty easy, as they don't obfuscate
>> the letters (you simply have to type a short phrase).
>>
>> If it's not too bad on the advertisement side, for the
>> viewer, then it's a keeper!

> The one for layouts gives you the most direct link IIRC.

Does Tinypic remove the photo if no one accesses it for a set
time?

FromTheRafters 07-02-2013 11:49 AM

Re: Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenly enforce registration?

Roori formulated on Tuesday :
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 22:15:29 +0100, FromTheRafters wrote:
>
>> Danny D. presented the following explanation :

>>> Thanks. Tinypic seems to work well.
>>> http://i41.tinypic.com/judao7.png
>>>
>>> Even the Captcha is pretty easy, as they don't obfuscate
>>> the letters (you simply have to type a short phrase).
>>>
>>> If it's not too bad on the advertisement side, for the
>>> viewer, then it's a keeper!

>> The one for layouts gives you the most direct link IIRC.

> Does Tinypic remove the photo if no one accesses it for a set
> time?

From their help/faq

How long are images and videos kept?

Images and videos is in your account will not be removed. Images and
videos that are not associated with an account are kept until they have
not been viewed for 90 days. After 90 days, they may be removed.

VanguardLH 07-02-2013 02:43 PM

Danny D. wrote:

> I've been posting screenshots for nntp posts to picturepush.com for
> about a year now, without having to register, using this URL:
> http://picturepush.com/upa
>
> Now, suddenly, as of today, that URL seems to require a registration.

Read their FAQ at:
http://picturepush.com/help#qa19
Which points to their letter at:
http://picturepush.com/gopro