Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cleaning a sony digital Lens (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t961900-cleaning-a-sony-digital-lens.html)

21blackswan@gmail.com 06-18-2013 06:41 PM

Cleaning a sony digital Lens

I just bought a store model sony dsc hx20v,
and the lens is very dirty, with what appears to be smudges

is there a best way to clean the lens?

I have some cleaning packets, made for monitors & len's,
although they seem to be a little dried out.

Or maybe a Qtip, with some kind of fluid?
What kind of fluid would I use, or not use?

thanks
marc

Paul Ciszek 06-18-2013 08:09 PM

Re: Cleaning a sony digital Lens

In article <55e5bd66-9751-47fc-88fd-97742b98574e@googlegroups.com>,
<21blackswan@gmail.com> wrote:
>I just bought a store model sony dsc hx20v,
>and the lens is very dirty, with what appears to be smudges
>
>is there a best way to clean the lens?
>
>I have some cleaning packets, made for monitors & len's,
>although they seem to be a little dried out.
>
>Or maybe a Qtip, with some kind of fluid?
>What kind of fluid would I use, or not use?

Most camera stores (if you are lucky enough to have one) can sell you
a microfiber cloth and some fluid suitable for cleaning lenses.

Or you can buy kits on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical-...cleaning+fluid

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical-...cleaning+fluid

The second one contains the first one as a subset in addition to some other
handy items for the same total price, but does not have the possibility of
free shipping.

--
Please reply to: |"We establish no religion in this country, we command
pciszek at panix dot com | no worship, we mandate no belief, nor will we ever.

J. Clarke 06-18-2013 08:57 PM

Re: Cleaning a sony digital Lens

In article <kpqeqg$c4p$1@reader1.panix.com>, nospam@nospam.com says...

> In article <55e5bd66-9751-47fc-88fd-97742b98574e@googlegroups.com>,
> <21blackswan@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I just bought a store model sony dsc hx20v,
> >and the lens is very dirty, with what appears to be smudges
> >
> >is there a best way to clean the lens?
> >
> >I have some cleaning packets, made for monitors & len's,
> >although they seem to be a little dried out.
> >
> >Or maybe a Qtip, with some kind of fluid?
> >What kind of fluid would I use, or not use?

> Most camera stores (if you are lucky enough to have one) can sell you
> a microfiber cloth and some fluid suitable for cleaning lenses.
>
> Or you can buy kits on Amazon:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical-...cleaning+fluid
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical-...cleaning+fluid
>
> The second one contains the first one as a subset in addition to some other
> handy items for the same total price, but does not have the possibility of
> free shipping.

If there's a Harbor Freight near you they'll sell you a bag of big
microfiber cloths for 6 bucks that work fine. For lens cleaning one bag
should last several generations of photographers. For cleaning fluid
isopropyl alcohol, possibly diluted with distilled water, works fine.

Another option is a dust blower and a LensPen.
<http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900-Rocket-Blaster-
Large/dp/B00017LSPI/ref=pd_sim_p_1>
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...en_NLP_1_NLP_1
_Lenspen.html>

Note--be careful about the LensPen--there are some fakes out there that
fall apart after a couple of uses--make sure you buy from a reliable
online source or a local dealer where you can return it easily. Before
you buy on Amazon read the reviews--they're apparently getting some
fakes from whoever supplied them.

peternew 06-19-2013 03:01 AM

On 6/18/2013 4:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-06-18 13:09:52 -0700, nospam@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) said:
>

>> In article <55e5bd66-9751-47fc-88fd-97742b98574e@googlegroups.com>,
>> <21blackswan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I just bought a store model sony dsc hx20v,
>>> and the lens is very dirty, with what appears to be smudges
>>>
>>> is there a best way to clean the lens?
>>>
>>> I have some cleaning packets, made for monitors & len's,
>>> although they seem to be a little dried out.
>>>
>>> Or maybe a Qtip, with some kind of fluid?
>>> What kind of fluid would I use, or not use?

>> Most camera stores (if you are lucky enough to have one) can sell you
>> a microfiber cloth and some fluid suitable for cleaning lenses.
>>
>> Or you can buy kits on Amazon:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical-...cleaning+fluid
>>

> http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical-...cleaning+fluid
>

> The
>>
>> second one contains the first one as a subset in addition to some other
>> handy items for the same total price, but does not have the
>> possibility of
>> free shipping.

> Good advise.
>
> I would add that a Qtip or cotton bud is a poor choice due the abrasive
> quality of cotton and which has the potential of damaging lens coatings.
>
> A blower such as a Giotto's Rocket is useful to blow moveable dust and
> contaminants from the lens surface before wipe cleaning. Do not use
> "canned air"! A brush also works for this task.
>
> Then as recommended above a microfiber cloth or Pec Pads are the way to
> go. Also for persistent spots a non-water fluid should be used. I
> recommend Eclipse Optical Cleaner.
>
> < http://photosol.com/ >

Unflavored vodka or denatured alcohol will work.Just dapen part of the
cloth, and use the other part for drying. The trick is not to rub, just pat.

--
PeterN

Martin Brown 06-19-2013 06:31 AM

On 19/06/2013 04:01, peternew wrote:
> On 6/18/2013 4:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:

>> Then as recommended above a microfiber cloth or Pec Pads are the way to
>> go. Also for persistent spots a non-water fluid should be used. I
>> recommend Eclipse Optical Cleaner.
>>
>> < http://photosol.com/ >
>>

> Unflavored vodka or denatured alcohol will work.Just dapen part of the
> cloth, and use the other part for drying. The trick is not to rub, just
> pat.

I'd be surprised if either were pure enough although it depends exactly
what they were flavoured or denatured with. Isopropanol that has been
stored in a glass bottle is one of the better lens cleaners.

I am old school and prefer a strip of lens tissue for cleaning lenses.

You can buy lens cleaner from any photodealer, but you should be *very*
gentle when cleaning and leave as little residual solvent on the surface
as possible. Under no circumstances scour the surface or rub hard as
every tiny scratch diminishes the contrast of the image.

Paradoxically a "dirty" lens still works pretty well unless you are
facing into the sun with the front surface illuminated! You can easily
make things permanently worse by too frequent or aggressive cleaning.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

2dealsok 06-19-2013 06:57 AM

Method One:
Wipe the lens when we choose the following tools: Professional lens cleaning cloth / chamois (never used glasses cloth), professional lens paper, soft brush, blow up balloons, lens cleaning water, etc. (these can be to shop to buy professional equipment)
If there is dirt, first use a blower to remove dust, blowing not available to sweep the brush, soft brush to remember not touch, because the hand with oil, then rub the lens with lens cleaning cloth droplets from rotate struck the inside out, note that the intensity can be repeated several times, not once used by the intensity is too large. Then the remaining dust with a blower to blow.

Method two:
Equipment is not sufficient in the case of, for example, we have only lens cleaning cloth or lens cleaning paper
Then blow the lens is: with my hand in front of the camera into a 30 to 45 degree angle, with the mouth to the hands of the blowing gas reflected to blow away dust on the lens so, this benefit is to prevent saliva blow on the lens.
Lens cleaning method: Kazakhstan on the breath on the lens (lens cleaning liquid equivalent effect), to prevent dust scratch the lens, then wipe with a lens cleaning cloth or lens paper, wipe from the inside out spin out method wipe the lens.

With these two simple methods complement each other can do an emergency lens cleaning, usually according to a certain method of a proceed.

peternew 06-19-2013 02:51 PM

On 6/19/2013 2:31 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 19/06/2013 04:01, peternew wrote:
>> On 6/18/2013 4:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:

>>> Then as recommended above a microfiber cloth or Pec Pads are the way to
>>> go. Also for persistent spots a non-water fluid should be used. I
>>> recommend Eclipse Optical Cleaner.
>>>
>>> < http://photosol.com/ >
>>>

>> Unflavored vodka or denatured alcohol will work.Just dapen part of the
>> cloth, and use the other part for drying. The trick is not to rub, just
>> pat.

> I'd be surprised if either were pure enough although it depends exactly
> what they were flavoured or denatured with. Isopropanol that has been
> stored in a glass bottle is one of the better lens cleaners.
>
> I am old school and prefer a strip of lens tissue for cleaning lenses.
>
> You can buy lens cleaner from any photodealer, but you should be *very*
> gentle when cleaning and leave as little residual solvent on the surface
> as possible. Under no circumstances scour the surface or rub hard as
> every tiny scratch diminishes the contrast of the image.
>
> Paradoxically a "dirty" lens still works pretty well unless you are
> facing into the sun with the front surface illuminated! You can easily
> make things permanently worse by too frequent or aggressive cleaning.

Yes isopropyol alcohol will work too. You can't overstate the importance
of not rubbing, or using excess fluid.

--
PeterN

21blackswan@gmail.com 06-19-2013 07:49 PM

Re: Cleaning a sony digital Lens

thanks all,

I was able to clean the front lens, to where
it looks much cleaner...BUT....

look at these 2 new test photos, after cleaning

http://imgur.com/jVLZGun

http://imgur.com/qqvUfCG

something else is wrong with the lens;
see the dark grey small cloud like spot?

I think I'm returning the camera

marc

21blackswan@gmail.com 06-19-2013 08:10 PM

Re: Cleaning a sony digital Lens

> What model Sony is that?
>
> Regards,
> Savageduck

sony cyber-shot DSC hx20v

[I have many more photos with the same spot]

marc

peternew 06-19-2013 09:15 PM

On 6/19/2013 3:49 PM, 21blackswan@gmail.com wrote:
> thanks all,
>
> I was able to clean the front lens, to where
> it looks much cleaner...BUT....
>
> look at these 2 new test photos, after cleaning
>
> http://imgur.com/jVLZGun
>
> http://imgur.com/qqvUfCG
>
> something else is wrong with the lens;
> see the dark grey small cloud like spot?
>
> I think I'm returning the camera

that could be a dust spot on the sensor, which is esily cleaned.

<http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm>
just Google sensor dust You will find lots of answers. If you are
uncomfortable cleaning it yourself, most local places will do it. the
going price in the US is anywhere from no charge, to $35.

--
PeterN