Velocity Reviews

-   -   on git gc --aggressive [was Re: Version Control Software] (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t961818-on-git-gc-aggressive-was-re-version-control-software.html)

Jason Swails 06-16-2013 02:09 PM

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 11:55 PM, rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 4:14 am, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 12:16 AM, Roy Smith <r...@panix.com> wrote:
> > > The advantage of DVCS is that everybody has a full copy of the repo.
> > > The disadvantage of the DVCS is that every MUST have a full copy of the
> > > repo. When a repo gets big, you may not want to pull all of that data
> > > just to get the subtree you need.

> > Yeah, and depending on size, that can be a major problem. While git
> > _will_ let you make a shallow clone, it won't let you push from that,
> > so it's good only for read-only repositories (we use git to manage
> > software deployments at work - shallow clones are perfect) or for
> > working with patch files.
> >
> > Hmm. ~/cpython/.hg is 200MB+, but ~/pike/.git is only 86MB. Does
> > Mercurial compress its content? A tar.gz of each comes down, but only
> > to ~170MB and ~75MB respectively, so I'm guessing the bulk of it is
> > already compressed. But 200MB for cpython seems like a lot.

> [I am assuming that you have run "git gc --aggressive" before giving
> those figures]

Off-topic, but this is a bad idea in most cases. This is a post including
an email from Torvalds proclaiming how and why git gc --aggressive is dumb
in 99% of cases and should rarely be used:

http://metalinguist.wordpress.com/20...t-deltas-work/

All the best,
Jason

rusi 06-16-2013 04:44 PM

Re: on git gc --aggressive [was Re: Version Control Software]

On Jun 16, 7:09*pm, Jason Swails <jason.swa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 11:55 PM, rusi <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yeah, and depending on size, that can be a major problem. While git
> > > _will_ let you make a shallow clone, it won't let you push from that,
> > > so it's good only for read-only repositories (we use git to manage
> > > software deployments at work - shallow clones are perfect) or for
> > > working with patch files.

> > > Hmm. ~/cpython/.hg is 200MB+, but ~/pike/.git is only 86MB. Does
> > > Mercurial compress its content? A tar.gz of each comes down, but only
> > > to ~170MB and ~75MB respectively, so I'm guessing the bulk of it is
> > > already compressed. But 200MB for cpython seems like a lot.

> > [I am assuming that you have run *"git gc --aggressive" before giving
> > those figures]

> Off-topic, but this is a bad idea in most cases. *This is a post including
> an email from Torvalds proclaiming how and why git gc --aggressive is dumb
> in 99% of cases and should rarely be used:
>
> http://metalinguist.wordpress.com/20...f-git-gc-aggre...

Yeah... Thanks for that link.
I knew there's something about gc and something about pack. Too much
of a git noob to know which is which!