Velocity Reviews

-   -   what is server JRE? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t961801-what-is-server-jre.html)

mcheung63@gmail.com 06-15-2013 04:44 PM

what is server JRE?

hi all
what is server JRE? what is the difference between it and normal ire?
thanks
from Peter

JLP 06-15-2013 05:26 PM

Re: what is server JRE?

Le 15/06/2013 18:44, mcheung63@gmail.com a crit :
> hi all
> what is server JRE? what is the difference between it and normal ire?
> thanks
> from Peter

According to the Oracle Site :
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-1931105.html
it comes with server tools, and also with option -server that is not
available in Windows JRE client.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HotSpot

Arne Vajhj 06-15-2013 08:01 PM

Re: what is server JRE?

On 6/15/2013 12:44 PM, mcheung63@gmail.com wrote:
> what is server JRE? what is the difference between it and normal ire?

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs...dows/java.html

<quote>
-client

Select the Java HotSpot Client VM. A 64-bit capable jdk currently
ignores this option and instead uses the Java HotSpot Server VM.

For default VM selection, see Server-Class Machine Detection
-server

Select the Java HotSpot Server VM. On a 64-bit capable jdk only the
Java HotSpot Server VM is supported so the -server option is implicit.
This is subject to change in a future release.
</quote>

I don't know it is documented but the biggest difference is
that the server VM is more aggressive in JIT compiling than
the client VM.

Arne

Sven Khler 06-15-2013 10:06 PM

Re: what is server JRE?

Am 15.06.2013 20:26, schrieb JLP:
> Le 15/06/2013 18:44, mcheung63@gmail.com a crit :
>> hi all
>> what is server JRE? what is the difference between it and normal ire?
>> thanks
>> from Peter
>>

> According to the Oracle Site :
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-1931105.html
>
> it comes with server tools, and also with option -server that is not
> available in Windows JRE client.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HotSpot

Now the funny thing is, that "-server" is the only available option on
Linux x64 - even with the standard JRE. I believe the same is true for
Window x64 (simply because Sun/Oracle never got around adjusting the
client version hotspot to x64).

Regards,
Sven

mcheung63@gmail.com 06-16-2013 04:39 PM

Re: what is server JRE?

Sven Köhler於 2013年6月16日星期日UTC+8上午6時06分21秒 寫道:
> Am 15.06.2013 20:26, schrieb JLP:
>
> > Le 15/06/2013 18:44, mcheung63@gmail.com a écrit :

> >> hi all

> >> what is server JRE? what is the difference between it and normal ire?

> >> thanks

> >> from Peter

> > According to the Oracle Site :

> > http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-1931105.html

> > it comes with server tools, and also with option -server that is not

> > available in Windows JRE client.

> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HotSpot

> Now the funny thing is, that "-server" is the only available option on
>
> Linux x64 - even with the standard JRE. I believe the same is true for
>
> Window x64 (simply because Sun/Oracle never got around adjusting the
>
> client version hotspot to x64).
>

> Regards,
>
> Sven

thank you all Gentlemen

Lew 06-17-2013 04:24 AM

Re: what is server JRE?

mche...@gmail.com wrote:
> thank you all Gentlemen

Do you have evidence that all the respondents were male?

--
Lew

Arne Vajhj 06-17-2013 11:49 PM

Re: what is server JRE?

On 6/17/2013 12:24 AM, Lew wrote:
> mche...@gmail.com wrote:
>> thank you all Gentlemen

> Do you have evidence that all the respondents were male?

Joe, Sven and Arne are usually males.

:-)

Arne

Lew 06-18-2013 08:00 AM

Re: what is server JRE?

Arne Vajhj wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> mche...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> thank you all Gentlemen

>> Do you have evidence that all the respondents were male?

> Joe, Sven and Arne are usually males.

"Joe" is not always a male, and I did not see a "Joe" in the thread.

Regardless, I wasn't asking you anyway.

--
Lew

Jeff Higgins 06-18-2013 08:27 AM

Re: what is server JRE?

On 06/18/2013 04:00 AM, Lew wrote:
> Arne Vajhj wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you have evidence that all the respondents were male?

>> Joe, Sven and Arne are usually males.

> "Joe" is not always a male, and I did not see a "Joe" in the thread.
>
> Regardless, I wasn't asking you anyway.

Gentlemen

Arne Vajhj 06-25-2013 12:53 AM

Re: what is server JRE?

On 6/18/2013 4:00 AM, Lew wrote:
> Arne Vajhj wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you have evidence that all the respondents were male?

>> Joe, Sven and Arne are usually males.

> "Joe" is not always a male, and I did not see a "Joe" in the thread.

A bit of googling suggest that JLP is a Joe.

> Regardless, I wasn't asking you anyway.

No. You posted to the entire world.

Arne