Velocity Reviews

-   -   Potential Python 3.3.2 pyvenv bug on Windows (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t961797-potential-python-3-3-2-pyvenv-bug-on-windows.html)

peter@psantoro.net 06-15-2013 02:17 PM

Potential Python 3.3.2 pyvenv bug on Windows

I've recently hit an issue with pyvenv that is causing AttributeErrors in other packages on Windows (see https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...ss/FpOSMDpdvy4). Here's what I believe is going on:

On Windows, the pyvenv pydoc script has a .py extension - so import finds it instead of the system's pydoc module. On Linux, the pyvenv pydoc script doesn't have an extension - so import finds the system's pydoc module.

I believe the Windows pyvenv pydoc.py script should be renamed to pydocs.py.

Has anyone else hit this issue?

Peter

Fábio Santos 06-15-2013 02:32 PM

Re: Potential Python 3.3.2 pyvenv bug on Windows

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 3:17 PM, <peter@psantoro.net> wrote:
> I've recently hit an issue with pyvenv that is causing AttributeErrors inother packages on Windows (see https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...ss/FpOSMDpdvy4). Here's what I believe is going on:
>
> On Windows, the pyvenv pydoc script has a .py extension - so import findsit instead of the system's pydoc module. On Linux, the pyvenv pydoc script doesn't have an extension - so import finds the system's pydoc module.
>
> I believe the Windows pyvenv pydoc.py script should be renamed to pydocs.py.
>
> Has anyone else hit this issue?
>
> Peter

Don't think that's so good of a fix. Following documentation for
open-source software is already hard enough on windows, people will
not be able to use pydoc.py because it was renamed.

It would be slightly better to use pydoc.bat (which could then call
pydocs.py), but even so it would be pretty bad.

--
Fábio Santos

peter@psantoro.net 06-15-2013 05:08 PM

Re: Potential Python 3.3.2 pyvenv bug on Windows

Agreed. I did submit a bug report. If the core developers fix this, I suspect they will do so in a manner that does not break existing docs. However, my workaround (rename the pyvenv created scripts\pydoc.py file) should suffice for those who need the problem solved now.

Take care,

Peter