Velocity Reviews

-   -   Tailing a series of log files (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t961676-tailing-a-series-of-log-files.html)

SamXiao 06-12-2013 12:04 PM

Tailing a series of log files

Hi all,

I am working on a solution to keep track of a series of log files and read the tail lines. At the very beginning, there is only one log file named “TEST-YYYYMMDD-00.log” (where YYYYMMDD is the current date). When the sizeof this log reaches to 10 MB, another log file “TEST-YYYYMMDD-01.log” will be generated and so forth. After midnight (12:00), a new log file withthe next date starting with 00 again will be generated.

I know Apache Commons IO containing tail.java. However, seems it is for tailing a single log file only. How could I keep tailing a series of log files?

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Eric Sosman 06-12-2013 12:56 PM

Re: Tailing a series of log files

On 6/12/2013 8:04 AM, SamXiao wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working on a solution to keep track of a series of log files and read the tail lines. At the very beginning, there is only one log file named “TEST-YYYYMMDD-00.log” (where YYYYMMDD is the current date). When the size of this log reaches to 10 MB, another log file “TEST-YYYYMMDD-01.log” will be generated and so forth. After midnight (12:00), a new log file with the next date starting with 00 again will be generated.
>
> I know Apache Commons IO containing tail.java. However, seems it is for tailing a single log file only. How could I keep tailing a series of log files?
>
> Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

It appears you need to monitor the log files' directory for
the creation of new files. When a new file appears you know
that the log you've been tailing will cease to grow, so you can
stop tailing it and switch your attention to the new one. Maybe
you should continue tailing the old for a few seconds before
making the switch (just in case a final buffer needs to get
flushed or something), but I think that should do it.

I don't know whether anybody's already packaged such a thing
in a form you can just pick up and use, but it seems straightforward
enough. Take a look at

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutori...ification.html

--
Eric Sosman
esosman@comcast-dot-net.invalid

Arved Sandstrom 06-14-2013 11:00 PM

On 06/12/2013 09:04 AM, SamXiao wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working on a solution to keep track of a series of log files and read the tail lines. At the very beginning, there is only one log file named “TEST-YYYYMMDD-00.log” (where YYYYMMDD is the current date). When the size of this log reaches to 10 MB, another log file “TEST-YYYYMMDD-01.log” will be generated and so forth. After midnight (12:00), a new log file with the next date starting with 00 again will be generated.
>
> I know Apache Commons IO containing tail.java. However, seems it is for tailing a single log file only. How could I keep tailing a series of log files?
>
> Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

For what it's worth, a sane logging system with a rollover policy has a
base log file which always has the same name, like TEST.log. Decent text
editors can follow a filename, UNIX command line "tail" doesn't follow a
filename but rather the precise file in question. But point being, if
you're looking to follow an "active" log file it may help if it's always
got the same name. It's the rolled-over logs that have the suffixes.

AHS

--
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign:
that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

Eric Sosman 06-15-2013 01:06 AM

On 6/14/2013 7:00 PM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> On 06/12/2013 09:04 AM, SamXiao wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am working on a solution to keep track of a series of log files and
>> read the tail lines. At the very beginning, there is only one log file
>> named “TEST-YYYYMMDD-00.log” (where YYYYMMDD is the current date).
>> When the size of this log reaches to 10 MB, another log file
>> “TEST-YYYYMMDD-01.log” will be generated and so forth. After midnight
>> (12:00), a new log file with the next date starting with 00 again will
>> be generated.
>>
>> I know Apache Commons IO containing tail.java. However, seems it is
>> for tailing a single log file only. How could I keep tailing a series
>> of log files?
>>
>> Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
>>

> For what it's worth, a sane logging system with a rollover policy has a
> base log file which always has the same name, like TEST.log. Decent text
> editors can follow a filename, UNIX command line "tail" doesn't follow a
> filename but rather the precise file in question. But point being, if
> you're looking to follow an "active" log file it may help if it's always
> got the same name. It's the rolled-over logs that have the suffixes.

This is true, but I don't think it's going to help the
O.P. much. Argument: The tailer (or any program) will use
the name to open the file, but subsequent accesses will use a
name-independent means -- "vnode," perhaps, or "handle." If
the name-to-vnode/handle mapping changes after the program has
created its connection to the file, that's unlikely to affect
the existing connection: The program will, most likely, just
keep on tailing the original, oblivious to the name change.

A tailer might, I suppose, open TEST.log anew for each
access: open, tail, close, pause, open, tail, close, pause,
and so on. That approach would catch the renames, but would
also risk missing the last few lines of the pre-rename file:

Tailer: open, tail, close, pause, open, tail, close, ...
Writer: ... write ... write ... rename ... write ...
Upshot: ^^^^^
this batch isn't tailed

If the log writer switches from file to file occasionally,
I think the only reliable approach is to have the log reader be
explicitly aware of the fact.

Daniel Pitts 06-15-2013 04:11 AM

On 6/14/13 6:06 PM, Eric Sosman wrote:
> On 6/14/2013 7:00 PM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>> On 06/12/2013 09:04 AM, SamXiao wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am working on a solution to keep track of a series of log files and
>>> read the tail lines. At the very beginning, there is only one log file
>>> named “TEST-YYYYMMDD-00.log” (where YYYYMMDD is the current date).
>>> When the size of this log reaches to 10 MB, another log file
>>> “TEST-YYYYMMDD-01.log” will be generated and so forth. After midnight
>>> (12:00), a new log file with the next date starting with 00 again will
>>> be generated.
>>>
>>> I know Apache Commons IO containing tail.java. However, seems it is
>>> for tailing a single log file only. How could I keep tailing a series
>>> of log files?
>>>
>>> Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
>>>

>> For what it's worth, a sane logging system with a rollover policy has a
>> base log file which always has the same name, like TEST.log. Decent text
>> editors can follow a filename, UNIX command line "tail" doesn't follow a
>> filename but rather the precise file in question. But point being, if
>> you're looking to follow an "active" log file it may help if it's always
>> got the same name. It's the rolled-over logs that have the suffixes.

> This is true, but I don't think it's going to help the
> O.P. much. Argument: The tailer (or any program) will use
> the name to open the file, but subsequent accesses will use a
> name-independent means -- "vnode," perhaps, or "handle." If
> the name-to-vnode/handle mapping changes after the program has
> created its connection to the file, that's unlikely to affect
> the existing connection: The program will, most likely, just
> keep on tailing the original, oblivious to the name change.
>
> A tailer might, I suppose, open TEST.log anew for each
> access: open, tail, close, pause, open, tail, close, pause,
> and so on. That approach would catch the renames, but would
> also risk missing the last few lines of the pre-rename file:
>
> Tailer: open, tail, close, pause, open, tail, close, ...
> Writer: ... write ... write ... rename ... write ...
> Upshot: ^^^^^
> this batch isn't tailed
>
> If the log writer switches from file to file occasionally,
> I think the only reliable approach is to have the log reader be
> explicitly aware of the fact.

from "man tail" on OS X:

> -F The -F option implies the -f option, but tail will also check to see if the file being followed has been renamed or rotated. The file is closed and
> reopened when tail detects that the filename being read from has a new inode number. The -F option is ignored if reading from standard input rather than a
> file.

So, it will reopen the file if it sees that it has a new inode. If you
are renaming the files frequently enough, that might miss a rename, but
that seems to be an unlikely situation.

Eric Sosman 06-15-2013 01:20 PM

On 6/15/2013 12:11 AM, Daniel Pitts wrote:
> On 6/14/13 6:06 PM, Eric Sosman wrote:

>>> For what it's worth, a sane logging system with a rollover policy has a
>>> base log file which always has the same name, like TEST.log. Decent text
>>> editors can follow a filename, UNIX command line "tail" doesn't follow a
>>> filename but rather the precise file in question. But point being, if
>>> you're looking to follow an "active" log file it may help if it's always
>>> got the same name. It's the rolled-over logs that have the suffixes.

>> This is true, but I don't think it's going to help the
>> O.P. much. Argument: The tailer (or any program) will use
>> the name to open the file, but subsequent accesses will use a
>> name-independent means -- "vnode," perhaps, or "handle." If
>> the name-to-vnode/handle mapping changes after the program has
>> created its connection to the file, that's unlikely to affect
>> the existing connection: The program will, most likely, just
>> keep on tailing the original, oblivious to the name change.
>>
>> A tailer might, I suppose, open TEST.log anew for each
>> access: open, tail, close, pause, open, tail, close, pause,
>> and so on. That approach would catch the renames, but would
>> also risk missing the last few lines of the pre-rename file:
>>
>> Tailer: open, tail, close, pause, open, tail, close, ...
>> Writer: ... write ... write ... rename ... write ...
>> Upshot: ^^^^^
>> this batch isn't tailed
>>
>> If the log writer switches from file to file occasionally,
>> I think the only reliable approach is to have the log reader be
>> explicitly aware of the fact.
>>

> from "man tail" on OS X:
>
>> -F The -F option implies the -f option, but tail will also
>> check to see if the file being followed has been renamed or rotated.
>> The file is closed and
>> reopened when tail detects that the filename being read
>> from has a new inode number. The -F option is ignored if reading from
>> standard input rather than a
>> file.

> So, it will reopen the file if it sees that it has a new inode. If you
> are renaming the files frequently enough, that might miss a rename, but
> that seems to be an unlikely situation.

We're straying into system specifics here, but I think the
quoted text makes my point. On Unixoid systems (where inodes
live), renaming a file does not affect its inode number -- in
fact, a file can have N different names in M directories and
keep the same inode, unaltered, as those N names come and go
and change.

Since checking the inode number of an already-open file
will not detect a rename (or even a deletion!), the program
must be doing something else instead. I imagine it's looking
up the file name (probably with a variant of stat) and comparing
the inode number against that of the already-open file; if they
disagree, somebody has renamed the current file and it's time
to switch to the new one. That's what I meant by "have the
log reader be explicitly aware of the fact:" It's got to poll
or arrange for change notification in some other way.

JLP 06-15-2013 04:59 PM

Le 15/06/2013 15:20, Eric Sosman a écrit :
> On 6/15/2013 12:11 AM, Daniel Pitts wrote:

[SNIP because of NNTP server]

if I understand the OP requirements, a solution may be the pattern
Observer/Observable :
- a thread Observable that follows the creation of file
TEST-[\d]{6}(-[^\.])?.log . When a new file is created motify the thread
Observer with the new file log
- a thread Observer subscribed to the Observable that tails the last
file log and rotate when notified
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_pattern

JLP 06-15-2013 05:15 PM

Le 15/06/2013 18:59, JLP a écrit :
> Le 15/06/2013 15:20, Eric Sosman a écrit :

> [SNIP because of NNTP server]
>>

> if I understand the OP requirements, a solution may be the pattern
> Observer/Observable :
> - a thread Observable that follows the creation of file
> TEST-[\d]{6}(-[^\.])?.log . When a new file is created motify the thread
> Observer with the new file log
> - a thread Observer subscribed to the Observable that tails the last
> file log and rotate when notified
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_pattern

oops correct pattern for the name of the file is :
TEST-[\d]{8}-\d\d+\.log => the Class File gives the date of the last
modification => File.lastmodified(); putting files in a TreeSet with a
Comparator craeted with the lasModified date.

Arved Sandstrom 06-16-2013 07:43 PM

On 06/14/2013 10:06 PM, Eric Sosman wrote:
> On 6/14/2013 7:00 PM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>> On 06/12/2013 09:04 AM, SamXiao wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am working on a solution to keep track of a series of log files and
>>> read the tail lines. At the very beginning, there is only one log file
>>> named “TEST-YYYYMMDD-00.log” (where YYYYMMDD is the current date).
>>> When the size of this log reaches to 10 MB, another log file
>>> “TEST-YYYYMMDD-01.log” will be generated and so forth. After midnight
>>> (12:00), a new log file with the next date starting with 00 again will
>>> be generated.
>>>
>>> I know Apache Commons IO containing tail.java. However, seems it is
>>> for tailing a single log file only. How could I keep tailing a series
>>> of log files?
>>>
>>> Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
>>>

>> For what it's worth, a sane logging system with a rollover policy has a
>> base log file which always has the same name, like TEST.log. Decent text
>> editors can follow a filename, UNIX command line "tail" doesn't follow a
>> filename but rather the precise file in question. But point being, if
>> you're looking to follow an "active" log file it may help if it's always
>> got the same name. It's the rolled-over logs that have the suffixes.

> This is true, but I don't think it's going to help the
> O.P. much. Argument: The tailer (or any program) will use
> the name to open the file, but subsequent accesses will use a
> name-independent means -- "vnode," perhaps, or "handle." If
> the name-to-vnode/handle mapping changes after the program has
> created its connection to the file, that's unlikely to affect
> the existing connection: The program will, most likely, just
> keep on tailing the original, oblivious to the name change.
>
> A tailer might, I suppose, open TEST.log anew for each
> access: open, tail, close, pause, open, tail, close, pause,
> and so on. That approach would catch the renames, but would
> also risk missing the last few lines of the pre-rename file:
>
> Tailer: open, tail, close, pause, open, tail, close, ...
> Writer: ... write ... write ... rename ... write ...
> Upshot: ^^^^^
> this batch isn't tailed
>
> If the log writer switches from file to file occasionally,
> I think the only reliable approach is to have the log reader be
> explicitly aware of the fact.

I agree. There are a number of reasons why having a "current" logfile
always with the same name helps, but not in this situation.

A nice approach would be if loggers that can do rollover allow consumers
to register as listeners. In a sense this is what JLPs suggestion
achieves without logger knowledge.

AHS