Velocity Reviews

-   -   Why can I not see the output with MY IE9? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t960930-why-can-i-not-see-the-output-with-my-ie9.html)

richard 05-23-2013 05:42 AM

Why can I not see the output with MY IE9?

www.mroldies.net/test3.html
www.mroldies.net/screen9.jpg

This is driving me nuts.
On top of how I am already.
All I see is a framebox and a place holder thing.
At the longtailvideo.com website, I see their players just fine.
What do I need to change on my settings so I can see the player?
FF9 and Opera shows the player just fine.

Doug Miller 05-23-2013 12:52 PM

Re: Why can I not see the output with MY IE9?

richard <noreply@example.com> wrote in news:8d3rlq0alnry.75qygqmfzhot$.dlg@
40tude.net:

> www.mroldies.net/test3.html

Gosh, I wonder if it might have anything to do with invalid html...

Will you *ever* learn to validate your pages?

> This is driving me nuts.

Driving you nuts is a short trip.

> On top of how I am already.
> All I see is a framebox and a place holder thing.
> At the longtailvideo.com website, I see their players just fine.
> What do I need to change on my settings so I can see the player?

Write valid html, maybe?

> FF9 and Opera shows the player just fine.

BTW, this isn't helping:

<script type='text/javascript'>

richard 05-23-2013 04:17 PM

On Thu, 23 May 2013 12:52:40 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:

> richard <noreply@example.com> wrote in news:8d3rlq0alnry.75qygqmfzhot$.dlg@
> 40tude.net:
>
>> www.mroldies.net/test3.html

> Gosh, I wonder if it might have anything to do with invalid html...

> Will you *ever* learn to validate your pages?
>
>> This is driving me nuts.

> Driving you nuts is a short trip.
>
>> On top of how I am already.
>> All I see is a framebox and a place holder thing.
>> At the longtailvideo.com website, I see their players just fine.
>> What do I need to change on my settings so I can see the player?

> Write valid html, maybe?
>
>> FF9 and Opera shows the player just fine.

> BTW, this isn't helping:
>
> <script type='text/javascript'>

Heh, the validator said it was required.
Page validates now don't it smart boy?

Doug Miller 05-23-2013 06:29 PM

richard <noreply@example.com> wrote in news:1wzf6goz8x24z$.luujvflds0c4.dlg@40tude.net:

> Page validates now don't it smart boy?

Now that you fixed the invalid HTML, yes, it does. Do you still have a problem in IE9?

Doug Miller 05-23-2013 06:31 PM

Re: Why can I not see the output with MY IE9?

richard <noreply@example.com> wrote in news:1wzf6goz8x24z$.luujvflds0c4.dlg@
40tude.net:

> On Thu, 23 May 2013 12:52:40 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:
>> BTW, this isn't helping:
>>
>> <script type='text/javascript'>

> Heh, the validator said it was required.

Compare these lines

<script type="text/javascript" src="jwplayer/jwplayer.js">
<script type="text/javascript">

to this one

<script type='text/javascript'>

and see if you can figure out what's wrong.

richard 05-24-2013 01:58 AM

On Thu, 23 May 2013 18:31:49 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:

> richard <noreply@example.com> wrote in news:1wzf6goz8x24z$.luujvflds0c4.dlg@
> 40tude.net:
>
>> On Thu, 23 May 2013 12:52:40 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:
>>> BTW, this isn't helping:
>>>
>>> <script type='text/javascript'>

>> Heh, the validator said it was required.

> Compare these lines
>
> <script type="text/javascript" src="jwplayer/jwplayer.js">
> <script type="text/javascript">
>
> to this one
>
> <script type='text/javascript'>
>
> and see if you can figure out what's wrong.

There is nothing wrong with that code. Asswipe.

<script type="text/javascript" src="jwplayer/jwplayer.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript"> jwplayer.key"edited";</script>

That's what you left out.

Denis McMahon 05-24-2013 02:00 AM

On Thu, 23 May 2013 12:17:35 -0400, richard wrote:

> On Thu, 23 May 2013 12:52:40 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:
>
>> richard <noreply@example.com> wrote in
>> news:8d3rlq0alnry.75qygqmfzhot$.dlg@ 40tude.net:
>>
>>> www.mroldies.net/test3.html

>> Gosh, I wonder if it might have anything to do with invalid html...

>> dir="ltr">
>>
>> Will you *ever* learn to validate your pages?
>>
>>> This is driving me nuts.

>> Driving you nuts is a short trip.
>>
>>> On top of how I am already.
>>> All I see is a framebox and a place holder thing.
>>> At the longtailvideo.com website, I see their players just fine.
>>> What do I need to change on my settings so I can see the player?

>> Write valid html, maybe?
>>
>>> FF9 and Opera shows the player just fine.

>> BTW, this isn't helping:
>>
>> <script type='text/javascript'>

> Heh, the validator said it was required.
> Page validates now don't it smart boy?

Observation:

If you wrapped the jwplayer setup call in a function, and called the
function in the onload handler of the body element, then you could put
the jwplayer setup bit of the script in the document head, which is a lot
neater than having script elements in document bodies.

ie:

change this:

to this:

and this:

jwplayer( "my-video" ).setup({ <-----many lines of data-----> });

to this:

function videoPlayerSetup() {
jwplayer( "my-video" ).setup({ <-----many lines of data-----> });
}

and then put all of this:

function videoPlayerSetup() {
jwplayer( "my-video" ).setup({ <-----many lines of data-----> });
}

after the line:

jwplayer.key= <-----some data here-----> ;

so that it is inside the same script element,

and then delete the script element from after the </div> in the document
body.

Finally, you ought to just double check whether the jwplayer setup()
method requires json style data which, unlike normal javascript strings,
specifies only double quotes i.e. "" as string delimiters.

Not that I expect you to pay any attention to any of this, as doing so
would break with almost 20 years of well established tradition.

--
Denis McMahon, denismfmcmahon@gmail.com

Doug Miller 05-24-2013 10:55 AM

Re: Why can I not see the output with MY IE9?

richard <noreply@example.com> wrote in news:1x14wxot74hi5.13ayed4zxlcaq$.dlg@
40tude.net:

> On Thu, 23 May 2013 18:31:49 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:
>
>> richard <noreply@example.com> wrote in news:1wzf6goz8x24z$.luujvflds0c4.dlg@
>> 40tude.net:

>>> Heh, the validator said it was required.

>> Compare these lines
>>
>> <script type="text/javascript" src="jwplayer/jwplayer.js">
>> <script type="text/javascript">
>>
>> to this one
>>
>> <script type='text/javascript'>
>>
>> and see if you can figure out what's wrong.

> There is nothing wrong with that code. Asswipe.
>
> <script type="text/javascript" src="jwplayer/jwplayer.js"></script>
> <script type="text/javascript"> jwplayer.key"edited";</script>
>
> That's what you left out.

You missed the point rather badly, I'm afraid. But I should have expected that.

Lewis 05-24-2013 02:02 PM

Re: Why can I not see the output with MY IE9?

In message <XnsA1C95AD7AAE4Adougmilmaccom@78.46.70.116>
Doug Miller <doug_at_milmac_dot_com@example.com> wrote:
> richard <noreply@example.com> wrote in news:8d3rlq0alnry.75qygqmfzhot$.dlg@
> 40tude.net:

>> www.mroldies.net/test3.html

> Gosh, I wonder if it might have anything to do with invalid html...

> Will you *ever* learn to validate your pages?

Nope, it's Richard. He hasn't learned anything in the last 10-15 years,
least of all to validate. All attempts to help him will be met with
argument. Really, it's pointless replying to him, it's exactly like
arguing science with a fundamentalist.

--
'You're your own worst enemy, Rincewind,' said the sword.
Rincewind looked up at the grinning men. 'Bet?' --Colour of Magic

richard 05-24-2013 06:51 PM

On Fri, 24 May 2013 10:55:57 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:

> richard <noreply@example.com> wrote in news:1x14wxot74hi5.13ayed4zxlcaq$.dlg@
> 40tude.net:
>
>> On Thu, 23 May 2013 18:31:49 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:
>>
>>> richard <noreply@example.com> wrote in news:1wzf6goz8x24z$.luujvflds0c4.dlg@
>>> 40tude.net:

>>> Compare these lines
>>>
>>> <script type="text/javascript" src="jwplayer/jwplayer.js">
>>> <script type="text/javascript">
>>>
>>> to this one
>>>
>>> <script type='text/javascript'>
>>>
>>> and see if you can figure out what's wrong.

>> There is nothing wrong with that code. Asswipe.
>>
>> <script type="text/javascript" src="jwplayer/jwplayer.js"></script>
>> <script type="text/javascript"> jwplayer.key"edited";</script>
>>
>> That's what you left out.

> You missed the point rather badly, I'm afraid. But I should have expected that.

are you implying then that "src" is required?
hardly.
other than that, I still see nothing wrong.
kindly explain your point.