Velocity Reviews

-   -   My afternoon (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t960888-my-afternoon.html)

PeterN 05-22-2013 03:10 AM

My afternoon

Went to the beach before eating. It's that time of year.

<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/feeding%20junior.jpg>

As usual all comments are appreciated.
--
PeterN

PhotoPhartz 05-22-2013 03:57 AM

Re: My afternoon

PeterN <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> wrote in news:519c371d$0$10781
$8f2e0ebb@news.shared-secrets.com:

> Went to the beach before eating. It's that time of year.
>
> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/feeding%20junior.jpg>
>
> As usual all comments are appreciated.

Looks like a nice afternoon. I like the mix of colors. Good shot.

--

Pat

email: phartzATcoxDOTnet

PeterN 05-22-2013 12:30 PM

Re: My afternoon

On 5/21/2013 11:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-05-21 20:37:37 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:
>
>> On 2013-05-21 20:10:28 -0700, PeterN <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> said:
>>
>>> Went to the beach before eating. It's that time of year.
>>>
>>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/feeding%20junior.jpg>
>>>
>>> As usual all comments are appreciated.

>> Aah! An American Oystercatcher family. Haematopus palliatus.

> Sometimes they catch more than oysters. ;-)
> < http://db.tt/LTcw3YrI >

Yup ;-)
<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/oyster%20catcher%20with%20fish%20flying.jpg>

--
PeterN

PeterN 05-22-2013 12:37 PM

Re: My afternoon

On 5/21/2013 11:57 PM, PhotoPhartz wrote:
> PeterN <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> wrote in news:519c371d$0$10781
> $8f2e0ebb@news.shared-secrets.com:
>
>> Went to the beach before eating. It's that time of year.
>>
>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/feeding%20junior.jpg>
>>
>> As usual all comments are appreciated.

> Looks like a nice afternoon. I like the mix of colors. Good shot.

Thanks. It was a severe crop.
Than beach had two breeding colonies about 1/2 a mile apart. Both with
oyster catchers, skimmers, common terns, and plovers. the more
productive colony was devastated by Sandy.

--
PeterN

Tony Cooper 05-23-2013 01:34 AM

Re: My afternoon

On Wed, 22 May 2013 15:02:51 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-05-22 14:13:39 -0700, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> said:
>
>> On Wed, 22 May 2013 08:30:32 -0400, PeterN
>> <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> wrote:

>>> Yup ;-)
>>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/oyster%20catcher%20with%20fish%20flying.jpg>

>Why
>>>

>> is the sky mottled? Is it residual noise, or what?

>Peter loves to use unnecessarily high ISO values, in this case ISO
>1600. Then there is no telling what he actually did in post. I suspect
>the mottled color effect on in the sky might be a result of some noise
>reduction, or perhaps it might be compression artifacts due to the 98%
>jpeg compression he used.

What you see in Peter's image is a fairly common result of a major
crop. I would not ascribe it to ISO.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

PeterN 05-23-2013 03:49 AM

Re: My afternoon

On 5/22/2013 6:02 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-05-22 14:13:39 -0700, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> said:
>
>> On Wed, 22 May 2013 08:30:32 -0400, PeterN
>> <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> wrote:

>>> Yup ;-)
>>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/oyster%20catcher%20with%20fish%20flying.jpg>
>>>

> Why
>>>

>> is the sky mottled? Is it residual noise, or what?

> Peter loves to use unnecessarily high ISO values, in this case ISO 1600.
> Then there is no telling what he actually did in post. I suspect the
> mottled color effect on in the sky might be a result of some noise
> reduction, or perhaps it might be compression artifacts due to the 98%
> jpeg compression he used.

I did very little in post, except for some NR. The image is an extreme
crop.

--
PeterN

PeterN 05-23-2013 04:45 AM

Re: My afternoon

On 5/23/2013 12:39 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-05-22 20:49:17 -0700, PeterN <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> said:
>
>> On 5/22/2013 6:02 PM, Savageduck wrote:

> Why
>
> is

>>> Peter loves to use unnecessarily high ISO values, in this case ISO 1600.
>>> Then there is no telling what he actually did in post. I suspect the
>>> mottled color effect on in the sky might be a result of some noise
>>> reduction, or perhaps it might be compression artifacts due to the 98%
>>> jpeg compression he used.
>>>

>> I did very little in post, except for some NR. The image is an extreme
>> crop.

> I guess the NR might have done those blotches in the sky. If not,
> another explanation is needed.

I will send you a link to that, or a similar NEF file for you to play
with. But don't expect it tonight.

--
PeterN

Whisky-dave 05-23-2013 02:44 PM

Re: My afternoon

On Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:34:56 AM UTC+1, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, 22 May 2013 15:02:51 -0700, Savageduck
>
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>

> >On 2013-05-22 14:13:39 -0700, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> said:

> >Why

> >> is the sky mottled? Is it residual noise, or what?

> >Peter loves to use unnecessarily high ISO values, in this case ISO

> >1600. Then there is no telling what he actually did in post. I suspect

> >the mottled color effect on in the sky might be a result of some noise

> >reduction, or perhaps it might be compression artifacts due to the 98%

> >jpeg compression he used.

> What you see in Peter's image is a fairly common result of a major
>
> crop. I would not ascribe it to ISO.

So was it flying over wheat, maise or barely or maybe rape seed, we need to know what this crop was ;-)

PeterN 05-23-2013 05:46 PM

Re: My afternoon

On 5/23/2013 12:48 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-05-22 21:45:54 -0700, PeterN <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> said:

> Why
>
> is
>
> the

>>> I guess the NR might have done those blotches in the sky. If not,
>>> another explanation is needed.
>>>

>> I will send you a link to that, or a similar NEF file for you to play
>> with. But don't expect it tonight.

> OK! That should be another interesting exercise.

Already sent
duplicate of the link. It is not the same image, but was taken at or
about the same time, under the same conditions.
<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_DSC3770_3326.NEF>

--
PeterN

PeterN 05-23-2013 05:49 PM

Re: My afternoon

On 5/23/2013 4:40 AM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
> PeterN <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> wrote:

>>> I guess the NR might have done those blotches in the sky. If not,
>>> another explanation is needed.
>>>

>> I will send you a link to that, or a similar NEF file
>> for you to play with. But don't expect it tonight.

> I would enjoy working with the original NEF file on that
> one.
>
> I did download the JPEG image, and pretty much "fixed"
> it. But there is only so much that can be done with it,
> primarily because it is a relatively small JPEG.
>
> The first and most obvious characteristics are that ISO
> was not really much of a problem, nor was anything "due
> to the 98% jpeg compression".
>
> The difference between ISO 100 and ISO 1600 with a Nikon
> D800 camera is limited to the lower ISO having just over
> 4 stops better dynamic range, but the ISO 1600 still has
> more dynamic range than can be displayed with a JPEG
> formatted image, hence we can't see that difference
> anyway. And compression artifacts are not directly the
> problem, if for no other reason than the JPEG quality
> was set to 89%, and anything greater would have only
> make the file size larger without any benefit.
>
> That said, the tonal range could be better adjusted in
> post processing to take advantage of the existing
> dynamic range. A little more contrast and a little
> extra brightness gives it some pop.
>
> The JPEG artifacts appear to be the effect of generating
> a JPEG and cropping that and then saving the result as a
> JPEG. A better technique would be to either crop the
> NEF file or convert it to an intermediate TIFF and crop
> that before saving as a JPEG.
>
> The noise reduction can also be much better done. What
> we can see most predominantly in the sky is Photon
> Noise, though there is some weird looking color
> blotching below the bird of undetermined cause (it might
> be wisps of clouds, but the purple-ish color is really
> strange).
>
> Whatever, noise reduction should not be done on the entire
> image as a whole, but only on the sky an not at all on the
> bird. The bird itself might even benefit from a bit of
> Unsharp Mask (particularly on the head).
>
> Make an NEF file available and I'll post both the best I
> was able to do with your original JPEG and what I can
> manage with the NEF as the starting point.

Be happy to have your inputtoo. As I said iit was an extremecrop.

--
PeterN