Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   KB2799926 warning (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t960532-kb2799926-warning.html)

philo  05-10-2013 12:27 PM

KB2799926 warning
 
Just applied the above update to my wife's Win7 (64bit) machine and it
broke CS6

Uninstalled the update, rebooted and Photoshop is now working fine.

Robert Coe 05-11-2013 04:26 PM

Re: KB2799926 warning
 
On Fri, 10 May 2013 07:27:56 -0500, philo* <philo@privcy.not> wrote:
: Just applied the above update to my wife's Win7 (64bit) machine and it
: broke CS6
:
: Uninstalled the update, rebooted and Photoshop is now working fine.

I guess you can't really expect Adobe to fix CS6 for you. But you can rent its
replacement for the rest of your life. :^)

Bob

nospam 05-11-2013 08:22 PM

Re: KB2799926 warning
 
In article <k5sso81juq0nvdri900aigvhnng8svf0ca@4ax.com>, Robert Coe
<bob@1776.COM> wrote:

> : Just applied the above update to my wife's Win7 (64bit) machine and it
> : broke CS6
> :
> : Uninstalled the update, rebooted and Photoshop is now working fine.
>
> I guess you can't really expect Adobe to fix CS6 for you. But you can rent its
> replacement for the rest of your life. :^)


yes you most certainly can. adobe has said they are going to continue
to update cs6 for bugs and security issues.

there just won't be a cs7.

Mayayana 05-11-2013 11:08 PM

Re: KB2799926 warning
 
| What about those who just need photoshop? Will there be a monthly v. at
| a reasonable rate? ($10.00 / month would be acceptable to me).
|
As I understood it, it's $20/month for any
one program.



nospam 05-11-2013 11:16 PM

Re: KB2799926 warning
 
In article <ibWdnXPn4ax1XxPMnZ2dnUVZ_oudnZ2d@giganews.com>, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

> I'll stop at CS5 for PS. I don't have LR.
>
> I might even (shudder) get Aperture - though the reviews for it on the
> Apple site aren't all that inspiring - maybe only bitchers comment?


the main advantage to aperture is its integration with idevices and not
needing to use iphoto for photos on them. otherwise, lightroom is much
better.

> What Adobe are attempting do is insane pricewise.
>
> It occurs to me that it would not be offensive if they charged by unit
> of work done by the rented software (say $1 / peta-flop of actual photo
> processing). That way heavy users would pay more for it, and less heavy
> users would pay proportionately less.


that's one way to do it.

> It's insane to think the entire CS suite is on your computer - you can
> only use 1 part of it at any time - and most of the time you aren't.
> And Adobe wants to charge $600 / yr for that...


you can use more than one at a time. launch both illustrator and
photoshop, for instance.

> What about those who just need photoshop? Will there be a monthly v. at
> a reasonable rate? ($10.00 / month would be acceptable to me).


do you own cs3-cs6? if so, it's $10/mo for a single app for the first
year, then it's the standard $20/mo.

Tony Cooper 05-11-2013 11:57 PM

Re: KB2799926 warning
 
On Sat, 11 May 2013 18:15:03 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>On 2013.05.11 15:41 , Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2013-05-11 09:26:27 -0700, Robert Coe <bob@1776.COM> said:
>>
>>> On Fri, 10 May 2013 07:27:56 -0500, philo <philo@privcy.not> wrote:
>>> : Just applied the above update to my wife's Win7 (64bit) machine and it
>>> : broke CS6
>>> :
>>> : Uninstalled the update, rebooted and Photoshop is now working fine.
>>>
>>> I guess you can't really expect Adobe to fix CS6 for you. But you can
>>> rent its
>>> replacement for the rest of your life. :^)
>>>
>>> Bob

>>
>> Wrong end of the problem Bob. Philo should have updated his wife's Win7
>> by getting her a Mac. ;-)
>>
>> As far as Photoshop goes, I will be more than done with any further
>> updates when Adobe stops a solid upgrade path. For now it appears there
>> will be no CS7. So CS6 is the end of the road for me.
>>
>> Adobe is only doing the "Creative Cloud" thing to the CS Suite for now.
>> So, until they kill it off I will continue to update Lightroom if the
>> features/benefits outweigh to update cost.
>>
>> The LR - PS combo still fits my workflow comfortably

>
>
>I'll stop at CS5 for PS. I don't have LR.
>
>I might even (shudder) get Aperture - though the reviews for it on the
>Apple site aren't all that inspiring - maybe only bitchers comment?
>
>What Adobe are attempting do is insane pricewise.
>
>It occurs to me that it would not be offensive if they charged by unit
>of work done by the rented software (say $1 / peta-flop of actual photo
>processing). That way heavy users would pay more for it, and less heavy
>users would pay proportionately less.
>
>It's insane to think the entire CS suite is on your computer - you can
>only use 1 part of it at any time - and most of the time you aren't.
>And Adobe wants to charge $600 / yr for that...
>
>What about those who just need photoshop? Will there be a monthly v. at
>a reasonable rate? ($10.00 / month would be acceptable to me).


Then take a look at "Organic Imaging" by Elpical Software. Take a
free test drive on 250 images, and then pay 12.5 cents per image for
up to 5,000 images per month. "Shutterbug" magazine gave it a good
review*, but I haven't tried it.

www.organicimaging.com

*Magazines like "Shutterbug" don't seem to *ever* give anything but
good reviews to products, so that might not mean anything. Still, the
trial download is free.


--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Robert Coe 05-12-2013 12:28 AM

Re: KB2799926 warning
 
On Sat, 11 May 2013 16:22:34 -0400, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
: In article <k5sso81juq0nvdri900aigvhnng8svf0ca@4ax.com>, Robert Coe
: <bob@1776.COM> wrote:
:
: > : Just applied the above update to my wife's Win7 (64bit) machine and
: > : it broke CS6
: > :
: > : Uninstalled the update, rebooted and Photoshop is now working fine.
: >
: > I guess you can't really expect Adobe to fix CS6 for you. But you can
: > rent its replacement for the rest of your life. :^)
:
: yes you most certainly can. adobe has said they are going to continue
: to update cs6 for bugs and security issues.

What they said, in effect, is that they have no immediate plans not to. DR (I
believe it was) published an interview with an Adobe bigshot the other day.
Rarely will you see anyone choose his words more carefully.

But the truly bizarre position that Adobe seems to be taking is that
photographers shouldn't be concerned, because they don't need Photoshop anyway
and should be using Lightroom instead. So who does need Photoshop? High-end
graphic designers?

Another little gem from the mouth of the Adobe spokesman: while the new
Photoshop will be rigged to stop working(!) if you haven't paid your bill,
you're allowed(!) to uninstall it for free.

The other day I attended a lecture/demo by Aaron Nace, who considers himself
(justifiably, I guess) to be one of the world's foremost Photoshop experts.
Damn! If it had been one week later, I could have asked him what he thought of
Adobe's new direction.

Bob

Tony Cooper 05-12-2013 12:35 AM

Re: KB2799926 warning
 
On Sat, 11 May 2013 16:24:39 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-05-11 15:15:03 -0700, Alan Browne
><alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> said:
>
>> On 2013.05.11 15:41 , Savageduck wrote:
>>> On 2013-05-11 09:26:27 -0700, Robert Coe <bob@1776.COM> said:
>>>
>>>> On Fri, 10 May 2013 07:27:56 -0500, philo <philo@privcy.not> wrote:
>>>> : Just applied the above update to my wife's Win7 (64bit) machine and it
>>>> : broke CS6
>>>> :
>>>> : Uninstalled the update, rebooted and Photoshop is now working fine.
>>>>
>>>> I guess you can't really expect Adobe to fix CS6 for you. But you can
>>>> rent its
>>>> replacement for the rest of your life. :^)
>>>>
>>>> Bob
>>>
>>> Wrong end of the problem Bob. Philo should have updated his wife's Win7
>>> by getting her a Mac. ;-)
>>>
>>> As far as Photoshop goes, I will be more than done with any further
>>> updates when Adobe stops a solid upgrade path. For now it appears there
>>> will be no CS7. So CS6 is the end of the road for me.
>>>
>>> Adobe is only doing the "Creative Cloud" thing to the CS Suite for now.
>>> So, until they kill it off I will continue to update Lightroom if the
>>> features/benefits outweigh to update cost.
>>>
>>> The LR - PS combo still fits my workflow comfortably

>>
>>
>> I'll stop at CS5 for PS. I don't have LR.
>>
>> I might even (shudder) get Aperture - though the reviews for it on the
>> Apple site aren't all that inspiring - maybe only bitchers comment?
>>
>> What Adobe are attempting do is insane pricewise.
>>
>> It occurs to me that it would not be offensive if they charged by unit
>> of work done by the rented software (say $1 / peta-flop of actual photo
>> processing). That way heavy users would pay more for it, and less
>> heavy users would pay proportionately less.
>>
>> It's insane to think the entire CS suite is on your computer - you can
>> only use 1 part of it at any time - and most of the time you aren't.
>> And Adobe wants to charge $600 / yr for that...
>>
>> What about those who just need photoshop? Will there be a monthly v.
>> at a reasonable rate? ($10.00 / month would be acceptable to me).

>
>$20/month is what the PS module will cost you. The CS5 to CS6 upgrade
>(download only) is $199.
>
>CS6 has some new features which had been tempting me. So during the
>week I made the move, but it was not without having to jump through the
>hoops. Nowhere on the Adobe site is there an obvious means to buy the
>CS5-CS6 upgrade, everything is "Creative Cloud".
>
>I called the 800-585-0774 sale/service number and expressed my
>disappointment that they had made this move to the CC and my inability
>to find a path to the upgrade. I was told that they no longer had DVD
>editions of the upgrade and full versions of CS6 DVDs would only be
>available until inventory was depleted.
>
>Anyway, I stepped up and bought the upgrade. The download method was
>also a bit convoluted, but actually took about 3 minutes. I figured I
>would rather have a copy of CS6 on my HD than pay $20/months until I
>can no longer understand what I am doing with my cameras and/or
>computer. From what I have worked through with CS6 so far, I am glad I
>made the move.


What new features in CS6 did you like?

I've tried "content aware fill" several times and not been all that
overwhelmed. Too often, it picks up surrounding content that I don't
want. When it works, it works well.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

nospam 05-12-2013 01:31 AM

Re: KB2799926 warning
 
In article <9smto81gi2maotgf0ujum3ug7a2c5qi5c7@4ax.com>, Robert Coe
<bob@1776.COM> wrote:

> : > I guess you can't really expect Adobe to fix CS6 for you. But you can
> : > rent its replacement for the rest of your life. :^)
> :
> : yes you most certainly can. adobe has said they are going to continue
> : to update cs6 for bugs and security issues.
>
> What they said, in effect, is that they have no immediate plans not to. DR (I
> believe it was) published an interview with an Adobe bigshot the other day.
> Rarely will you see anyone choose his words more carefully.


what's careful about that?

cs6 will get bugfixes and security updates. it won't get new features.

had adobe not done creative cloud and went ahead with cs7, it would
have been the same as far as cs6 goes. this is nothing new.

> But the truly bizarre position that Adobe seems to be taking is that
> photographers shouldn't be concerned, because they don't need Photoshop anyway
> and should be using Lightroom instead. So who does need Photoshop? High-end
> graphic designers?


basically. that's why photoshop costs a lot, while photoshop elements
and lightroom do not.

> Another little gem from the mouth of the Adobe spokesman: while the new
> Photoshop will be rigged to stop working(!) if you haven't paid your bill,


guess what happens if you don't pay your phone bill or mortgage payment.

creative cloud is subscription based. if you don't pay, it doesn't work.

why is this surprising?

> you're allowed(!) to uninstall it for free.


obviously it can be uninstalled for free. anything can be uninstalled
for free. worst case, erase the hard drive. it's not possible to charge
to uninstall something.

or just leave it installed in case you renew it at a later date.

> The other day I attended a lecture/demo by Aaron Nace, who considers himself
> (justifiably, I guess) to be one of the world's foremost Photoshop experts.
> Damn! If it had been one week later, I could have asked him what he thought of
> Adobe's new direction.


some people like the idea, others don't and some don't really care one
way or the other.

PeterN 05-12-2013 01:31 AM

Re: KB2799926 warning
 
On 5/11/2013 7:24 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-05-11 15:15:03 -0700, Alan Browne
> <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> said:
>
>> On 2013.05.11 15:41 , Savageduck wrote:
>>> On 2013-05-11 09:26:27 -0700, Robert Coe <bob@1776.COM> said:
>>>
>>>> On Fri, 10 May 2013 07:27:56 -0500, philo <philo@privcy.not> wrote:
>>>> : Just applied the above update to my wife's Win7 (64bit) machine
>>>> and it
>>>> : broke CS6
>>>> :
>>>> : Uninstalled the update, rebooted and Photoshop is now working fine.
>>>>
>>>> I guess you can't really expect Adobe to fix CS6 for you. But you can
>>>> rent its
>>>> replacement for the rest of your life. :^)
>>>>
>>>> Bob
>>>
>>> Wrong end of the problem Bob. Philo should have updated his wife's Win7
>>> by getting her a Mac. ;-)
>>>
>>> As far as Photoshop goes, I will be more than done with any further
>>> updates when Adobe stops a solid upgrade path. For now it appears there
>>> will be no CS7. So CS6 is the end of the road for me.
>>>
>>> Adobe is only doing the "Creative Cloud" thing to the CS Suite for now.
>>> So, until they kill it off I will continue to update Lightroom if the
>>> features/benefits outweigh to update cost.
>>>
>>> The LR - PS combo still fits my workflow comfortably

>>
>>
>> I'll stop at CS5 for PS. I don't have LR.
>>
>> I might even (shudder) get Aperture - though the reviews for it on the
>> Apple site aren't all that inspiring - maybe only bitchers comment?
>>
>> What Adobe are attempting do is insane pricewise.
>>
>> It occurs to me that it would not be offensive if they charged by unit
>> of work done by the rented software (say $1 / peta-flop of actual
>> photo processing). That way heavy users would pay more for it, and
>> less heavy users would pay proportionately less.
>>
>> It's insane to think the entire CS suite is on your computer - you can
>> only use 1 part of it at any time - and most of the time you aren't.
>> And Adobe wants to charge $600 / yr for that...
>>
>> What about those who just need photoshop? Will there be a monthly v.
>> at a reasonable rate? ($10.00 / month would be acceptable to me).

>
> $20/month is what the PS module will cost you. The CS5 to CS6 upgrade
> (download only) is $199.
>
> CS6 has some new features which had been tempting me. So during the week
> I made the move, but it was not without having to jump through the
> hoops. Nowhere on the Adobe site is there an obvious means to buy the
> CS5-CS6 upgrade, everything is "Creative Cloud".
>
> I called the 800-585-0774 sale/service number and expressed my
> disappointment that they had made this move to the CC and my inability
> to find a path to the upgrade. I was told that they no longer had DVD
> editions of the upgrade and full versions of CS6 DVDs would only be
> available until inventory was depleted.
>
> Anyway, I stepped up and bought the upgrade. The download method was
> also a bit convoluted, but actually took about 3 minutes. I figured I
> would rather have a copy of CS6 on my HD than pay $20/months until I can
> no longer understand what I am doing with my cameras and/or computer.
> From what I have worked through with CS6 so far, I am glad I made the
> move.


The download is the same for upgrade or initial purchase. they just give
you a different serial number.
>
> I like LR4 and as I said I like to work with the LR + PS combo. However,
> for now any further CS upgrade via the CC is out of the question for me.
>

I tried LR and found that I didn't use any of its features, except for
the development module, and that is the same as ACR.

--
PeterN


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.