Velocity Reviews

-   -   Why do notebooks with small screens cost more? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t960469-why-do-notebooks-with-small-screens-cost-more.html)

JohnO 05-08-2013 03:44 AM

Why do notebooks with small screens cost more?

If you look at notebooks with say, 11.6" screens, they generally cost around double the price of a similar spec machine with a 15.6" screen, why?

With TVs, the smaller the screen the cheaper the price!

Enkidu 05-08-2013 04:55 AM

Re: Why do notebooks with small screens cost more?

On 08/05/13 15:44, JohnO wrote:

> If you look at notebooks with say, 11.6" screens, they generally cost
> around double the price of a similar spec machine with a 15.6"
> screen, why?
>
> With TVs, the smaller the screen the cheaper the price!

Could be a couple of reasons. The most obvious is that they sell less of
them so there is less economy of scale. The next most obvious is that
the price is held up so that the sucker, I mean customer, goes for the
bigger margin larger items. Or it could be that the smaller components
are more expensive. Or the smaller machines have to have more
sophisticated component layout.

Cheers,

Cliff

JohnO 05-08-2013 08:59 AM

On May 8, 5:01*pm, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote:
> JohnO <johno1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >If you look at notebooks with say, 11.6" screens, they generally cost around
> >double the price of a similar spec machine with a 15.6" screen, why?

> >With TVs, the smaller the screen the cheaper the price!

> Possibly because of heat dissipation. It isn't the screen that costs more.. The
> smaller the enclosure the harder it is to cool. Also the components need to be
> smaller due to smaller packaging.
> People want fast and small at the same time, that is a technical challenge and
> will remain so until affordable components are developed that don't generate
> heat.
> Just a guess however.
> Tony

Hmm, all the main components - hdd, cpu/chipset, ram are the same as
any other laptop as far as I can see.

JohnO 05-08-2013 09:04 AM

On May 8, 6:31*pm, "geoff" <ge...@nospampaf.co.nz> wrote:
> "JohnO" <johno1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > If you look at notebooks with say, 11.6" screens, they generally cost
> > around double the price of a similar spec machine with a 15.6" screen,
> > why?

> > With TVs, the smaller the screen the cheaper the price!

> They didn't sell for ages, and are still at the older (more expensive) price
> ?
>
> geoff

Don't think so - they all become obsolete at the same time when newer
CPUs come out. I'm comparing like to like, eg core i7 3630QM etc.

Gib Bogle 05-08-2013 09:29 AM

On 8/05/2013 3:44 p.m., JohnO wrote:
> If you look at notebooks with say, 11.6" screens, they generally cost around double the price of a similar spec machine with a 15.6" screen, why?
>
> With TVs, the smaller the screen the cheaper the price!

If more people want the smaller device, they can charge more for it.
There may be additional costs related to cramming components into a
smaller volume and cooling them (as has been suggested), but this
doesn't seem likely to result in the price difference you report.

Enkidu 05-08-2013 10:32 AM

On 08/05/13 20:59, JohnO wrote:
> On May 8, 5:01 pm, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote:
>> JohnO <johno1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If you look at notebooks with say, 11.6" screens, they generally cost around
>>> double the price of a similar spec machine with a 15.6" screen, why?

>>> With TVs, the smaller the screen the cheaper the price!

>> Possibly because of heat dissipation. It isn't the screen that costs more. The
>> smaller the enclosure the harder it is to cool. Also the components need to be
>> smaller due to smaller packaging.
>> People want fast and small at the same time, that is a technical challenge and
>> will remain so until affordable components are developed that don't generate
>> heat.
>> Just a guess however.
>> Tony

> Hmm, all the main components - hdd, cpu/chipset, ram are the same as
> any other laptop as far as I can see.

Yeah, same size in a smaller space.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu 05-08-2013 10:40 AM

On 08/05/13 21:29, Gib Bogle wrote:
> On 8/05/2013 3:44 p.m., JohnO wrote:
>> If you look at notebooks with say, 11.6" screens, they generally cost
>> around double the price of a similar spec machine with a 15.6" screen,
>> why?
>>
>> With TVs, the smaller the screen the cheaper the price!
>>

> If more people want the smaller device, they can charge more for it.

Not necessarily. The increased cost might well put people off. If the
per unit supply cost stays the same, it's impossible to tell if the
number of units sold would increase or decrease as retail price increases.

> There may be additional costs related to cramming components into a
> smaller volume and cooling them (as has been suggested), but this
> doesn't seem likely to result in the price difference you report.

It may be a number of factors.

Cheers,

Cliff

JohnO 05-08-2013 09:59 PM

On Wednesday, 8 May 2013 21:29:05 UTC+12, Gib Bogle wrote:
> On 8/05/2013 3:44 p.m., JohnO wrote:
>
> > If you look at notebooks with say, 11.6" screens, they generally cost around double the price of a similar spec machine with a 15.6" screen, why?

> > With TVs, the smaller the screen the cheaper the price!

> If more people want the smaller device, they can charge more for it.
>
> There may be additional costs related to cramming components into a
>
> smaller volume and cooling them (as has been suggested), but this
>
> doesn't seem likely to result in the price difference you report.

I can't see the major cost add for cooling - it's not rocket science and heatsinks are made of Al and Cu not unobtanium?

One way they avoid heat issues is simply by avoiding the higher speed processors. The ultra small notebooks are typically running less powerful cpus than the larger units and desktops. Still no cost add.

I'm inclined to believe it's a marketing lead price break.

Gib Bogle 05-09-2013 12:24 AM

On 8/05/2013 10:40 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
> On 08/05/13 21:29, Gib Bogle wrote:
>> On 8/05/2013 3:44 p.m., JohnO wrote:
>>> If you look at notebooks with say, 11.6" screens, they generally cost
>>> around double the price of a similar spec machine with a 15.6" screen,
>>> why?
>>>
>>> With TVs, the smaller the screen the cheaper the price!
>>>

>> If more people want the smaller device, they can charge more for it.
> >

> Not necessarily. The increased cost might well put people off. If the
> per unit supply cost stays the same, it's impossible to tell if the
> number of units sold would increase or decrease as retail price increases.

There is a concept "Charging what the market will bear". If people
prefer smaller devices, it makes sense that they'd be willing to pay
more for them.

Enkidu 05-09-2013 09:18 AM

On 09/05/13 12:24, Gib Bogle wrote:
> On 8/05/2013 10:40 p.m., Enkidu wrote:

>>> If more people want the smaller device, they can charge more for it.
>> >

>> Not necessarily. The increased cost might well put people off. If the
>> per unit supply cost stays the same, it's impossible to tell if the
>> number of units sold would increase or decrease as retail price
>> increases.

> There is a concept "Charging what the market will bear". If people
> prefer smaller devices, it makes sense that they'd be willing to pay
> more for them.

*IF* they prefer them. I'm far from sure that that is true, and as I
said the increased price will tend to put people off.

Cheers,

Cliff