Velocity Reviews

-   -   Java on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t960281-java-on-windows-7-pro-64-bit.html)

jgroshan@gmail.com 05-02-2013 02:02 AM

Java on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

My computer is running 64 bit windows professional. I have installed windows virtual pc which runs windows XP. Can I install Java virtual machine on my computer? If I've posted this in the wrong group please tell me which group is more appropriate.

Arne Vajh°j 05-02-2013 02:14 AM

Re: Java on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

On 5/1/2013 10:02 PM, jgroshan@gmail.com wrote:
> My computer is running 64 bit windows professional. I have installed
> windows virtual pc which runs windows XP. Can I install Java virtual
> machine on my computer? If I've posted this in the wrong group please
> tell me which group is more appropriate.

You can install 32 bit Java in the XP.

You can install both 32 and 64 bit Java on the 7.

Arne

Lew 05-02-2013 07:19 PM

Arne Vajh°j wrote:
> jgroshan wrote:
>> My computer is running 64 bit windows [sic] professional [sic]. I have installed
>> windows virtual pc which runs windows XP. Can I install Java virtual
>> machine on my computer? If I've posted this in the wrong group please
>> tell me which group is more appropriate.

Yes.

> You can install 32 bit Java in the XP.

Or 64-bit.

> You can install both 32 and 64 bit Java on the 7.

"the 7"?

--
Lew

Joerg Meier 05-02-2013 08:10 PM

On Thu, 2 May 2013 12:19:32 -0700 (PDT), Lew wrote:

> Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>> jgroshan wrote:
>>> My computer is running 64 bit windows [sic] professional [sic]. I have installed
>>> windows virtual pc which runs windows XP. Can I install Java virtual
>>> machine on my computer? If I've posted this in the wrong group please
>>> tell me which group is more appropriate.

>> You can install 32 bit Java in the XP.

> Or 64-bit.

I'm nearly certain you cannot install Java 64 bit on a 32 bit operating
system. Can you back that claim up with any evidence ?

>> You can install both 32 and 64 bit Java on the 7.

> "the 7"?

The Windows 7 64 bit host.

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg

ungelesen.

Lew 05-02-2013 08:52 PM

Joerg Meier wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> Arne Vajh°j wrote:

>>> You can install 32 bit Java in the XP.

>> Or 64-bit.

> I'm nearly certain you cannot install Java 64 bit on a 32 bit operating
> system. Can you back that claim up with any evidence ?

Who's talking about 32-bit OSes?

I never claimed you could run a 64-bit Java on a 32-bit OS.

>>> You can install both 32 and 64 bit Java on the 7.

>> "the 7"?

> The Windows 7 64 bit host.

The OP never said it was Windows 7.

--
Lew

Lew 05-02-2013 09:01 PM

Lew wrote:
> The OP never said it was Windows 7.

I'm wrong.

I read the body of posts and usually don't pay attention to the title.
that bit me this time.

--
Lew

Arne Vajh°j 05-02-2013 11:25 PM

On 5/2/2013 3:19 PM, Lew wrote:
> Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>> jgroshan wrote:
>>> My computer is running 64 bit windows [sic] professional [sic]. I have installed
>>> windows virtual pc which runs windows XP. Can I install Java virtual
>>> machine on my computer? If I've posted this in the wrong group please
>>> tell me which group is more appropriate.

> Yes.
>
>> You can install 32 bit Java in the XP.

> Or 64-bit.

No.

>> You can install both 32 and 64 bit Java on the 7.

> "the 7"?

The Windows 7 he is asking about.

Arne

Arne Vajh°j 05-02-2013 11:31 PM

On 5/2/2013 4:52 PM, Lew wrote:
> Joerg Meier wrote:

>>> Or 64-bit.

>> I'm nearly certain you cannot install Java 64 bit on a 32 bit operating
>> system. Can you back that claim up with any evidence ?

> Who's talking about 32-bit OSes?

OP

"I have installed windows virtual pc which runs windows XP"

Combined with the knowledge that the Windows Virtual PC to Windows 7
Proffessional Edition only support 32 bit guest OS and comes with
a license for 32 bit Windows XP Professional.

> I never claimed you could run a 64-bit Java on a 32-bit OS.

You did. Maybe unintentional, but still.

>>> "the 7"?

>> The Windows 7 64 bit host.

> The OP never said it was Windows 7.

What is the subject of the thread?

Arne

Arne Vajh°j 05-02-2013 11:31 PM

On 5/2/2013 5:01 PM, Lew wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> The OP never said it was Windows 7.

> I'm wrong.
>
> I read the body of posts and usually don't pay attention to the title.
> that bit me this time.

Attention to detail!

:-)

Arne

Lew 05-03-2013 01:15 AM

Arne Vajh°j wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> Lew wrote:
>>> The OP never said it was Windows 7.

>> I'm wrong.
>>
>> I read the body of posts and usually don't pay attention to the title.
>> that bit me this time.

> Attention to detail!
>
> :-)

You mean like your attention to the detail that I'd admitted my error before you posted
a correction to me twice?

--
Lew