Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Experiment removing brown toilet bowl stains with various acids (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t959728-re-experiment-removing-brown-toilet-bowl-stains-with-various-acids.html)

Danny D. 04-14-2013 02:11 PM

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:34:02 -0700 Oren wrote:
> What software are you using to make these composite photos?
> http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12671632.png
> http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12671545.jpg

Oren,

I got carried away in the prior reply; so I'll directly answer.
I used a combination of Imagemagick & Kolourpaint on Linux
to create the DIY montages above.

1. Imagemagick to resize the photos to similar sizes.
2. Imagemagick to slap similar-sized photos together.
3. Kolourpaint to hand craft the more complex arrangements.
4. And, Kolorpaint to text, circle, & arrow the results.

Had I been on Windows, I would have used:
1. Irfanview to resize the photos to similar sizes.
2. Irfanview to slap similar-sized photos together.
3. Paint.NET to make the more complex arrangements.
4. And, Paint.NET to text, circle, & arrow the results.

IMHO, there is no single freeware program on either platform,
which will perform all the tasks necessary to assemble and
annotate a typical task-oriented photo scenario such as is
shown in the better amateur do-it-yourself (DIY) project
writeups.

PS: I'm not sure what the difference is between a collage
and a montage, so, I used the word "montage" to indicate
an assemblage of photos & screenshots intended to help in
explaining how to do something, in a single resulting image.

hrhofmann@sbcglobal.net 04-14-2013 04:57 PM

On Apr 14, 9:11*am, "Danny D." <da...@pleasedontemail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:34:02 -0700 Oren wrote:
>
> > What software are you using to make these composite photos?
> >http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12671632.png
> >http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12671545.jpg

> Oren,
>
> I got carried away in the prior reply; so I'll directly answer.
> I used a combination of Imagemagick & Kolourpaint on Linux
> to create the DIY montages above.
>
> 1. Imagemagick to resize the photos to similar sizes.
> 2. Imagemagick to slap similar-sized photos together.
> 3. Kolourpaint to hand craft the more complex arrangements.
> 4. And, Kolorpaint to text, circle, & arrow the results.
>
> Had I been on Windows, I would have used:
> 1. Irfanview to resize the photos to similar sizes.
> 2. Irfanview to slap similar-sized photos together.
> 3. Paint.NET to make the more complex arrangements.
> 4. And, Paint.NET to text, circle, & arrow the results.
>
> IMHO, there is no single freeware program on either platform,
> which will perform all the tasks necessary to assemble and
> annotate a typical task-oriented photo scenario such as is
> shown in the better amateur do-it-yourself (DIY) project
> writeups.
>
> PS: I'm not sure what the difference is between a collage
> and a montage, so, I used the word "montage" to indicate
> an assemblage of photos & screenshots intended to help in
> explaining how to do something, in a single resulting image.

I shoudl have said I'm a Paint.net fan.

Danny D. 04-14-2013 07:46 PM

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 09:57:32 -0700 hrhofmann@sbcglobal.net wrote:

> I shoudl have said I'm a Paint.net fan.

Personally, I'd use ANY freeware that easily annotates DIY-style
photo assemblages.

When I was on Windows, I first nearly died and went to heaven
when I found out how FAST IrfanView was, and, how capable it
was with batch renaming-by-exif and auto-rotation-by-exif.
Nothing, even today, crops as easily as IrfanView.

But, IrfanView stinks to high heaven when it comes to drawing
curved solid or dashed arrows; and it's just OK for drawing
circles and for texting (because you have to estimate text size
before you've even composed your thoughts).

Then, I found out about Paint.NET, and again, nearly died and
went to heaven. The drawing of curved solid or dashed arrows is
phenomenally easy in Paint.NET. Likewise, texting doesn't require
a crystal ball, and drawing of circles and boxes around things is
just ok.

The worst thing I can say about Paint.NET is the slowness of
starting the thing up (nothing compares to IrfanView for that!);
and the PITA need for the NET Framework in the later versions.

Even with those two drawbacks, to this day, I've never found anything
better than Paint.NET for annotating standard DIY-style photos;
however, I've long since moved on to Linux, so, I had to start
all over again.

Surveying all Linux programs, the ONLY freeware that easily texts,
draws arrows, and draws boxes & circles on Linux is Kolourpaint.
However, Kolourpaint drawing of curved arrows is purely a manual
multi-part affair - so Kolourpaint has none of the ease-of-use
of Paint.NET.

And, Kolourpaint requires you to be omnipotent and know ahead of
time the size and shape of your text. Of course, you can resize
the text box both before and after the fact, but, there are very
few programs that actually implement either texting, box drawing,
or arrowing correctly.

IMHO, the correct (easiest) way to add text:
- You left click, and start typing (that's it!)
- You should NOT need to draw or resize any stinkin' text boxes!
- You can change the default fonts, colors, etc., separately.

IMHO, the correct (easiest) way to add arrows:
- You left click point1, and left click point 2, and that's it!
- You can change the default direction, thickness, dashes, etc.

IMHO, the correct (easiest) way to add boxes:
- You left click point1 and left click point2, and that's it!
- You can change the default filling, thickness, dashes, etc.

Oren 04-14-2013 10:47 PM

Re: Experiment removing brown toilet bowl stains with various acids

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 14:11:30 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
<danny@pleasedontemail.com> wrote:

>Had I been on Windows, I would have used:
>1. Irfanview to resize the photos to similar sizes.
>2. Irfanview to slap similar-sized photos together.
>3. Paint.NET to make the more complex arrangements.
>4. And, Paint.NET to text, circle, & arrow the results.

I run Winders fer Rednecks v.7.

Thanks. I'll dig up these tools.

(results from my first ever electrolysis tank for de-rusting tools and
cast iron...)

Nate made me do it...

Oren 04-15-2013 11:01 PM

Re: Experiment removing brown toilet bowl stains with various acids

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 14:11:30 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
<danny@pleasedontemail.com> wrote:

>Had I been on Windows, I would have used:
>1. Irfanview to resize the photos to similar sizes.
>2. Irfanview to slap similar-sized photos together.
>3. Paint.NET to make the more complex arrangements.
>4. And, Paint.NET to text, circle, & arrow the results.

Put both on today and messed around. I'll figure out the text (where
I want to place it).

For the most part I'm on the trail for composites for DIY.

Thanks Danny. Nice App's...

Danny D. 04-16-2013 01:50 AM

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:01:13 -0700 Oren wrote:

> For the most part I'm on the trail for composites for DIY.

You might like the panorama command in Irfanview:
http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Pano...sing-IrfanView

Oren 04-16-2013 05:55 PM

Re: Experiment removing brown toilet bowl stains with various acids

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 01:50:14 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
<danny@pleasedontemail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:01:13 -0700 Oren wrote:
>
>> For the most part I'm on the trail for composites for DIY.

>You might like the panorama command in Irfanview:
> http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Pano...sing-IrfanView

Thanks. I've been there already....an easy way to put 3-4 photos side
by side - iirc.

Adding text is what I need to figure out. I played with it so I will
eventually get to it. I thought to just add a new layer with text
only?

dadiOH 04-17-2013 11:37 AM

Oren wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 01:50:14 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
> <danny@pleasedontemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:01:13 -0700 Oren wrote:
>>
>>> For the most part I'm on the trail for composites for DIY.

>> You might like the panorama command in Irfanview:
>> http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Pano...sing-IrfanView

> Thanks. I've been there already....an easy way to put 3-4 photos side
> by side - iirc.
>
> Adding text is what I need to figure out. I played with it so I will
> eventually get to it. I thought to just add a new layer with text
> only?

In Irfanview? Draw a box then Ctrl + T

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Robert Macy 04-17-2013 02:22 PM

On Apr 16, 10:55*am, Oren <O...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 01:50:14 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
>
> <da...@pleasedontemail.com> wrote:
> >On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:01:13 -0700 Oren wrote:

> >> For the most part I'm on the trail for composites for DIY.

> >You might like the panorama command in Irfanview:
> >http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Pano...sing-IrfanView

> Thanks. I've been there already....an easy way to put 3-4 photos side
> by side - iirc.
>
> Adding text is what I need to figure out. I played with it so I will
> eventually get to it. *I thought to just add a new layer with text
> only?

my workaround for text is to open with irfanview and save as .bmp
open in PAINT and add text, marks, etc save.
open again in Irfanview and save as .jpg

It's a workaround.

Danny D. 04-20-2013 11:58 AM

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:55:04 -0700 Oren wrote:

> Adding text is what I need to figure out. I played with it so I will
> eventually get to it. I thought to just add a new layer with text
> only?

I would NOT add text with Irfanview. Use Paint.NET.
Muuuuuch easier & more intuitive.