Velocity Reviews

-   -   Make python 3.3 the default one and not 2.7 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t959336-make-python-3-3-the-default-one-and-not-2-7-a.html)

D. Xenakis 04-03-2013 08:44 AM

Make python 3.3 the default one and not 2.7

Hi there, i installed python 2.7 (windows 32bit version) from http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php and after that i installed official 3.3 version too. So now i got two python folders like this.. c:/Python27 and c:/Python33 .
My problem is that when im trying to execute a .py file, the 2.7 version interpreter launces. In addition if i right click and select Edit with IDLE, again version 2.7 interpreter opens. How can i make python 3.3 the default one, as i need this cause i have PyQt4 installed there and so it does not work with 2.7 .
Thx in advance.

Wolfgang Maier 04-03-2013 09:43 AM

Re: Make python 3.3 the default one and not 2.7

D. Xenakis <gouzounakis <at> hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi there, i installed python 2.7 (windows 32bit version) from
> http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php and after that i installed

official 3.3 version
> too. So now i got two python folders like this.. c:/Python27 and c:/Python33 .
> My problem is that when im trying to execute a .py file, the 2.7 version

interpreter launces. In addition if i
> right click and select Edit with IDLE, again version 2.7 interpreter opens.

How can i make python 3.3 the
> default one, as i need this cause i have PyQt4 installed there and so it does

not work with 2.7 .
> Thx in advance.

Check out the post at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4...-on-windows-xp
..
Especially the part about changing the registry. The Python.File entry mentioned
there also has the information about the IDLE version to use.
Best,
Wolfgang

Dave Angel 04-03-2013 10:24 AM

On 04/03/2013 04:44 AM, D. Xenakis wrote:
> Hi there, i installed python 2.7 (windows 32bit version) from http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php and after that i installed official 3.3 version too. So now i got two python folders like this.. c:/Python27 and c:/Python33 .
> My problem is that when im trying to execute a .py file, the 2.7 version interpreter launces. In addition if i right click and select Edit with IDLE, again version 2.7 interpreter opens. How can i make python 3.3 the default one, as i need this cause i have PyQt4 installed there and so it does not work with 2.7 .
> Thx in advance.

That was one of the choices you were presented with during the install.
It defaults to making the newly installed one the default, but there
was a checkbox or something. (It's been years since I did a Windows
install, so I don't really remember)

Anyway, if Wolfgang's link doesn't do it for you, consider re-installing
3.3. It should just go on top of the existing one, and the only change
should be that it would then become the default one.

--
DaveA

Mark Lawrence 04-03-2013 12:19 PM

On 03/04/2013 09:44, D. Xenakis wrote:
> Hi there, i installed python 2.7 (windows 32bit version) from http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php and after that i installed official 3.3 version too. So now i got two python folders like this.. c:/Python27 and c:/Python33 .
> My problem is that when im trying to execute a .py file, the 2.7 version interpreter launces. In addition if i right click and select Edit with IDLE, again version 2.7 interpreter opens. How can i make python 3.3 the default one, as i need this cause i have PyQt4 installed there and so it does not work with 2.7 .
> Thx in advance.

Not quite answering your question but are you aware of
http://docs.python.org/3/using/windows.html#launcher ?

--
If you're using GoogleCrap™ please read this
http://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython.

Mark Lawrence

D. Xenakis 04-03-2013 01:23 PM

Re: Make python 3.3 the default one and not 2.7

I tried to reinstall python 3.3 but there was not change :(.
I selected to run all component from my PC.
I'll give it a try with those registries.

D. Xenakis 04-03-2013 02:19 PM

Re: Make python 3.3 the default one and not 2.7

?? ???????, 3 ???????? 2013 12:43:43 ?.?. UTC+3, ? ??????? Wolfgang Maier ??????:
> D. Xenakis <gouzounakis <at> hotmail.com> writes:
>

> > Hi there, i installed python 2.7 (windows 32bit version) from

> > http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php and after that i installed

> official 3.3 version
>
> > too. So now i got two python folders like this.. c:/Python27 and c:/Python33 .

> > My problem is that when im trying to execute a .py file, the 2.7 version

> interpreter launces. In addition if i
>
> > right click and select Edit with IDLE, again version 2.7 interpreter opens.

> How can i make python 3.3 the
>
> > default one, as i need this cause i have PyQt4 installed there and so it does

> not work with 2.7 .
>
> > Thx in advance.

> Check out the post at
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4...-on-windows-xp
>
> .
>
> Especially the part about changing the registry. The Python.File entry mentioned
>
> there also has the information about the IDLE version to use.
>
> Best,
>
> Wolfgang

I changed this too Python.CompiledFile to my 33 version.
Should i not touch this key?

D. Xenakis 04-03-2013 02:19 PM

Wolfgang Maier 04-03-2013 02:36 PM

Re: Make python 3.3 the default one and not 2.7

D. Xenakis <gouzounakis <at> hotmail.com> writes:

> > The Python.File entry mentioned
> > there also has the information about the IDLE version to use.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Wolfgang

> I changed this too Python.CompiledFile to my 33 version.
> Should i not touch this key?

The [.CompiledFile\shell\open\command] sets the python version used
for running pre-compiled .pyc files.
Likewise, [.NoConFile\shell\open\command] sets it for .pyw files
(intended to be run not from a console window - hence the name of the
entry).
Usually, you will want to have all of them point to the same Python
version.

Best,
Wolfgang

D. Xenakis 04-03-2013 07:44 PM

Re: Make python 3.3 the default one and not 2.7

thx solved