Velocity Reviews

-   -   SI Mandate suggestion (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t958724-si-mandate-suggestion.html)

Tony Cooper 03-16-2013 03:24 PM

SI Mandate suggestion

How about "furniture"? Regardless of the weather, there's chairs and
tables and sofas and beds around. It can be "indoor furniture" or
"outdoor furniture" or just "furniture".
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Rob 03-16-2013 09:11 PM

Re: SI Mandate suggestion

On 17/03/2013 6:54 AM, Bowser wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:24:27 -0400, Tony Cooper
> <tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How about "furniture"? Regardless of the weather, there's chairs and
>> tables and sofas and beds around. It can be "indoor furniture" or
>> "outdoor furniture" or just "furniture".

> Sounds fine. I think I'll use a two-up for the next two mandates so
> the more difficult of the two can be shot over a two month period.

Count me out of that one. That's not a challenge.

Tony Cooper 03-17-2013 12:32 AM

Re: SI Mandate suggestion

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 08:11:00 +1100, Rob <mesamine@google.com> wrote:

>On 17/03/2013 6:54 AM, Bowser wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:24:27 -0400, Tony Cooper
>> <tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How about "furniture"? Regardless of the weather, there's chairs and
>>> tables and sofas and beds around. It can be "indoor furniture" or
>>> "outdoor furniture" or just "furniture".

>> Sounds fine. I think I'll use a two-up for the next two mandates so
>> the more difficult of the two can be shot over a two month period.
>>

>Count me out of that one. That's not a challenge.

You must be very, very, good if any subject is not a challenge. It's
no challenge to *find* furniture, it's no challenge to *photograph*
furniture, but it is a challenge to come up with an interesting
photograph of furniture.

It's not the subject, but how the photographer sees the subject and
what the photographer does with the subject that makes it a challenge.

Here's one I shot six days ago:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-10-100.jpg

I'm sure you can do better. Let's see one.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Rob 03-17-2013 04:09 AM

Re: SI Mandate suggestion

On 17/03/2013 11:32 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 08:11:00 +1100, Rob <mesamine@google.com> wrote:
>
>> On 17/03/2013 6:54 AM, Bowser wrote:

>>> Sounds fine. I think I'll use a two-up for the next two mandates so
>>> the more difficult of the two can be shot over a two month period.
>>>

>> Count me out of that one. That's not a challenge.

> You must be very, very, good if any subject is not a challenge. It's
> no challenge to *find* furniture, it's no challenge to *photograph*
> furniture, but it is a challenge to come up with an interesting
> photograph of furniture.
>
> It's not the subject, but how the photographer sees the subject and
> what the photographer does with the subject that makes it a challenge.
>
> Here's one I shot six days ago:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-10-100.jpg
>
> I'm sure you can do better. Let's see one.

May have the bright eye catching colours, but still this does not appeal
to me, its a personal thing.

Tony Cooper 03-17-2013 05:03 AM

Re: SI Mandate suggestion

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 15:09:57 +1100, Rob <mesamine@google.com> wrote:

>On 17/03/2013 11:32 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:

>>> Count me out of that one. That's not a challenge.

>> You must be very, very, good if any subject is not a challenge. It's
>> no challenge to *find* furniture, it's no challenge to *photograph*
>> furniture, but it is a challenge to come up with an interesting
>> photograph of furniture.
>>
>> It's not the subject, but how the photographer sees the subject and
>> what the photographer does with the subject that makes it a challenge.
>>
>> Here's one I shot six days ago:
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-10-100.jpg
>>
>> I'm sure you can do better. Let's see one.
>>

>May have the bright eye catching colours, but still this does not appeal
>to me, its a personal thing.

The funny thing is that we've been doing these "letter" mandates and
no one has said they are not a challenge. Actually, they are less of
a challenge than a specific object.

I could submit this image and meet

B = Blue Wall
R = Red bench
C = Chair
P = Porch
F = Furniture
A = Aqua Chair

and maybe some other letters.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Robert Coe 03-17-2013 05:04 AM

Re: SI Mandate suggestion

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 15:09:57 +1100, Rob <mesamine@google.com> wrote:
: On 17/03/2013 11:32 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
: > On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 08:11:00 +1100, Rob <mesamine@google.com> wrote:
: >
: >> On 17/03/2013 6:54 AM, Bowser wrote:
: >>> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:24:27 -0400, Tony Cooper
: >>> <tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
: >>>
: >>>> How about "furniture"? Regardless of the weather, there's chairs and
: >>>> tables and sofas and beds around. It can be "indoor furniture" or
: >>>> "outdoor furniture" or just "furniture".
: >>>
: >>> Sounds fine. I think I'll use a two-up for the next two mandates so
: >>> the more difficult of the two can be shot over a two month period.
: >>>
: >>
: >>
:
: May have the bright eye catching colours, but still this does not appeal
: to me, its a personal thing.

I liked it. The cat is what makes it work.

Bob

Tony Cooper 03-17-2013 05:38 AM

Re: SI Mandate suggestion

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 01:04:42 -0400, Robert Coe <bob@1776.COM> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 15:09:57 +1100, Rob <mesamine@google.com> wrote:
>: On 17/03/2013 11:32 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
>: > On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 08:11:00 +1100, Rob <mesamine@google.com> wrote:
>: >
>: >> On 17/03/2013 6:54 AM, Bowser wrote:
>: >>> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:24:27 -0400, Tony Cooper
>: >>> <tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>: >>>
>: >>>> How about "furniture"? Regardless of the weather, there's chairs and
>: >>>> tables and sofas and beds around. It can be "indoor furniture" or
>: >>>> "outdoor furniture" or just "furniture".
>: >>>
>: >>> Sounds fine. I think I'll use a two-up for the next two mandates so
>: >>> the more difficult of the two can be shot over a two month period.
>: >>>
>: >>
>: >>
>: >> Count me out of that one. That's not a challenge.
>: >
>: > You must be very, very, good if any subject is not a challenge. It's
>: > no challenge to *find* furniture, it's no challenge to *photograph*
>: > furniture, but it is a challenge to come up with an interesting
>: > photograph of furniture.
>: >
>: > It's not the subject, but how the photographer sees the subject and
>: > what the photographer does with the subject that makes it a challenge.
>: >
>: > Here's one I shot six days ago:
>: >
>: > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-10-100.jpg
>: >
>: > I'm sure you can do better. Let's see one.
>: >
>:
>: May have the bright eye catching colours, but still this does not appeal
>: to me, its a personal thing.
>
>I liked it. The cat is what makes it work.

That's kinda what I meant when I said that the challenge is what the
photographer does with the subject. I shot several frames of this
furniture grouping. Just as I was about to move on, the cat came into
the scene. From the series, I selected this one because the cat added
an element. I would like the cat to have been looking to the left
into the frame, but cats resist being told how to pose.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Robert Coe 03-17-2013 12:04 PM

Re: SI Mandate suggestion

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 01:38:19 -0400, Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
wrote:
: On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 01:04:42 -0400, Robert Coe <bob@1776.COM> wrote:
:
: >On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 15:09:57 +1100, Rob <mesamine@google.com> wrote:
: >: On 17/03/2013 11:32 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
: >: > On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 08:11:00 +1100, Rob <mesamine@google.com> wrote:
: >: >
: >: >> On 17/03/2013 6:54 AM, Bowser wrote:
: >: >>> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:24:27 -0400, Tony Cooper
: >: >>> <tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
: >: >>>
: >: >>>> How about "furniture"? Regardless of the weather, there's chairs and
: >: >>>> tables and sofas and beds around. It can be "indoor furniture" or
: >: >>>> "outdoor furniture" or just "furniture".
: >: >>>
: >: >>> Sounds fine. I think I'll use a two-up for the next two mandates so
: >: >>> the more difficult of the two can be shot over a two month period.
: >: >>>
: >: >>
: >: >>
: >:
: >: May have the bright eye catching colours, but still this does not appeal
: >: to me, its a personal thing.
: >
: >I liked it. The cat is what makes it work.
:
: That's kinda what I meant when I said that the challenge is what the
: photographer does with the subject. I shot several frames of this
: furniture grouping. Just as I was about to move on, the cat came into
: the scene. From the series, I selected this one because the cat added
: an element. I would like the cat to have been looking to the left
: into the frame, but cats resist being told how to pose.

No, I like the direction the cat is facing. You get a good look at his eyes.
If he were facing the sun, he'd probably be squinting. Also, it emphasizes his
lack of interest in the project, which is clearly real. (Alternatively, he
could be seen as glowering at a little kid approaching with an ice cream cone,
ready to spill it on the bench.) Incidentally, the cat needed to be solid
black or solid white. If he were any other color, you'd have had to
Photoshoppe him black.

Bob

Wolfgang Weisselberg 03-17-2013 01:34 PM

Re: SI Mandate suggestion

Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

[furniture]

> It's not the subject, but how the photographer sees the subject and
> what the photographer does with the subject that makes it a challenge.

> Here's one I shot six days ago:

> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-10-100.jpg

Nice cat, but I can't see detail in most of the fur.
Additionally, shouldn't the cat at least lounge on the
furniture? Or on that bird?

:-)

-Wolf'SCNR'gang

Whisky-dave 03-18-2013 02:05 PM

Re: SI Mandate suggestion

On Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:11:00 PM UTC, Rob wrote:
> On 17/03/2013 6:54 AM, Bowser wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:24:27 -0400, Tony Cooper

> > <tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> How about "furniture"? Regardless of the weather, there's chairs and

> >> tables and sofas and beds around. It can be "indoor furniture" or

> >> "outdoor furniture" or just "furniture".

> > Sounds fine. I think I'll use a two-up for the next two mandates so

> > the more difficult of the two can be shot over a two month period.

> Count me out of that one. That's not a challenge.

A picture of a live Raphus cucullatus might be more of a challenge
and don't try tricking us with a picture of a stuffed one :-)