Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   Re: [OT] Computers and the end of paper (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t958714-re-ot-computers-and-the-end-of-paper.html)

PeterN 03-16-2013 01:45 AM

Re: [OT] Computers and the end of paper
 
On 3/14/2013 5:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
>
> http://vimeo.com/61275290 (40 sec / about 2.4 MB).
>


Proving there is no such thing as a paper free office.

--
PeterN

Wolfgang Weisselberg 03-16-2013 11:28 AM

Re: [OT] Computers and the end of paper
 
PeterN <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 3/14/2013 5:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:


>> http://vimeo.com/61275290 (40 sec / about 2.4 MB).


> Proving there is no such thing as a paper free office.


You've not yet heard of these new toilets that clean your
backside with water?

-Wolfgang

Rob 03-17-2013 04:10 AM

Re: [OT] Computers and the end of paper
 
On 17/03/2013 9:29 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:28:34 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
> <ozcvgtt02@sneakemail.com> wrote:
>
>> PeterN <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> wrote:
>>> On 3/14/2013 5:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

>>
>>>> http://vimeo.com/61275290 (40 sec / about 2.4 MB).

>>
>>> Proving there is no such thing as a paper free office.

>>
>> You've not yet heard of these new toilets that clean your
>> backside with water?
>>

> What's new about them"
>


Yep Japanese have used them for years

notbob 03-17-2013 12:10 PM

Re: [OT] Computers and the end of paper
 
On 2013-03-17, Rob <mesamine@google.com> wrote:
> On 17/03/2013 9:29 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:28:34 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
>> <ozcvgtt02@sneakemail.com> wrote:


>>> You've not yet heard of these new toilets that clean your
>>> backside with water?
>>>

>> What's new about them"
>>

>
> Yep Japanese have used them for years


Europeans, for centuries. Duh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet

nb

Wolfgang Weisselberg 03-17-2013 01:11 PM

Re: [OT] Computers and the end of paper
 
Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:28:34 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
>>PeterN <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> wrote:
>>> On 3/14/2013 5:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:


>>>> http://vimeo.com/61275290 (40 sec / about 2.4 MB).


>>> Proving there is no such thing as a paper free office.


>>You've not yet heard of these new toilets that clean your
>>backside with water?


> What's new about them"


According to Wikipedia (yes, a not too reliable source) flush
toilets have been proven existent in the 26th century BCE ...


Bidets (same source, different page) are claimed to have
been invented in the late 17th century CE and the first known
written reference would be from 1710 CE, which is ... a "few"
centuries newer.

These 2 inventions have been combined, presumeably after
the bidet moved from sitting next to the chamberpot next to
the interior toilet, but I assume one would have to dry
oneself with either paper or tower or similar.


Washlets (the high tech version, with dryer, so they're indeed
paperless) (same source, different pages) were apparently
first produced commercially in 1980 in Japan, with near
50% of the households having one in 2002 (making them more
common than computers)). It seems South Korea also have them.
(Maybe that's why North Korea has atomic constipation: low tech
toilets.) Apparently in practice they're used with paper, with
paper&water or just with water depending on the individual user.

We can surely say that late 20th century CE is pretty new
compared to 26th century BCE.

And to much of the rest of the world, they're new as in "have
just recently heard of their existence" --- if at all.

Possibly PeterN has heard of them, but surely didn't think
of them when he wrote his "Proving". After all, we know best
what we are used to, and that clip shows a lot of cultural bias.

-Wolfgang

Whisky-dave 03-19-2013 11:08 AM

Re: [OT] Computers and the end of paper
 
On Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:11:22 PM UTC, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
> Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:28:34 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg

>
> >>PeterN <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> wrote:

>
> >>> On 3/14/2013 5:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

>
>
>
> >>>> http://vimeo.com/61275290 (40 sec / about 2.4 MB).

>
>
>
> >>> Proving there is no such thing as a paper free office.

>
>
>
> >>You've not yet heard of these new toilets that clean your

>
> >>backside with water?

>
>
>
> > What's new about them"

>
>
>
> According to Wikipedia (yes, a not too reliable source) flush
>
> toilets have been proven existent in the 26th century BCE ...


year right, 26th century before christ ! JFC that is early.
Someones screwed up there.


> Bidets (same source, different page) are claimed to have
>
> been invented in the late 17th century CE and the first known
>
> written reference would be from 1710 CE, which is ... a "few"
>
> centuries newer.


newer than what ?






>
> We can surely say that late 20th century CE is pretty new
>
> compared to 26th century BCE.


No ****, that's 46 centuries .


I don;t think we have much evidence of human existance from then,
we can't go much back beyond 5 BCE with regards to what humans have built and have remains to prove it.




Wolfgang Weisselberg 03-19-2013 05:16 PM

Re: [OT] Computers and the end of paper
 
notbob <notbob@nothome.com> wrote:
> On 2013-03-17, Rob <mesamine@google.com> wrote:
>> On 17/03/2013 9:29 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
>>> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:28:34 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg


>>>> You've not yet heard of these new toilets that clean your
>>>> backside with water?


>>> What's new about them"


>> Yep Japanese have used them for years


> Europeans, for centuries. Duh.


> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet


It's Not A Toilet. Duh.

-Wolfgang

Noons 03-20-2013 10:43 AM

Re: [OT] Computers and the end of paper
 
On 20/03/2013 4:16 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
> notbob <notbob@nothome.com> wrote:
>> On 2013-03-17, Rob <mesamine@google.com> wrote:
>>> On 17/03/2013 9:29 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
>>>> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:28:34 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg

>
>>>>> You've not yet heard of these new toilets that clean your
>>>>> backside with water?

>
>>>> What's new about them"

>
>>> Yep Japanese have used them for years

>
>> Europeans, for centuries. Duh.

>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet

>
> It's Not A Toilet. Duh.


sssshhhhh... don't tell them, you idiot!


Wolfgang Weisselberg 03-20-2013 05:16 PM

Re: [OT] Computers and the end of paper
 
Noons <wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On 20/03/2013 4:16 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
>> notbob <notbob@nothome.com> wrote:
>>> On 2013-03-17, Rob <mesamine@google.com> wrote:
>>>> On 17/03/2013 9:29 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
>>>>> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:28:34 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg


>>>>>> You've not yet heard of these new toilets that clean your
>>>>>> backside with water?


>>>>> What's new about them"


>>>> Yep Japanese have used them for years


>>> Europeans, for centuries. Duh.


>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet


>> It's Not A Toilet. Duh.


> sssshhhhh... don't tell them, you idiot!


I'd be twice an idiot having to clean the bidet because I
didn't tell them!

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg 03-22-2013 03:42 PM

Re: [OT] Computers and the end of paper
 
Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:11:22 PM UTC, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
>> Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:
>> > On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:28:34 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
>> >>PeterN <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> wrote:
>> >>> On 3/14/2013 5:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:


>> >>>> http://vimeo.com/61275290 (40 sec / about 2.4 MB).


>> >>> Proving there is no such thing as a paper free office.


>> >>You've not yet heard of these new toilets that clean your
>> >>backside with water?


>> > What's new about them"


>> According to Wikipedia (yes, a not too reliable source) flush
>> toilets have been proven existent in the 26th century BCE ...


> year right, 26th century before christ ! JFC that is early.
> Someones screwed up there.


Yep, someone let out the secret for flush toilets a bit early,
the overlords were not impressed.


>> Bidets (same source, different page) are claimed to have
>> been invented in the late 17th century CE and the first known
>> written reference would be from 1710 CE, which is ... a "few"
>> centuries newer.


> newer than what ?


Newer than flush toilets.


>> We can surely say that late 20th century CE is pretty new
>> compared to 26th century BCE.


> No ****, that's 46 centuries .


Yep.

> I don;t think we have much evidence of human existance from then,
> we can't go much back beyond 5 BCE with regards to what humans have built and have remains to prove it.


Really? No prehistoric (before the written word) remains
have been found? No tools[1] and remains of buildings from
the stone age, no cave paintings? No flutes from the 33rd
and 41st/42nd millenium(!) BCE[0]?

No http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_of_Djoser (built
2667–2648 BCE)?

I guess that that hamlet consisting of huts built of rocks
and of mammoth bones in what is now Dolni Vestonice in Moravia
in the Czech Republic --- the oldest found permanent
settlement yet (ca 23,000 BCE) is also non-existent, since it
goes back way before 5 BCE ...

Never mind all the bones that have been found --- way
before 5 BCE. Never mind the written records of, say, the
Roman Kingdom and Roman Republic, the Illiad and Odyssey,
(somewhen 9th-6th century BCE), the hieroglyphs of Egypt
(earliest 3400-3200 BCE[3]) or the cuneiform writing system
(from 34th century BCE to 2th century CE), or proto-writing
systems like the Vinča-Turdash script --- dated older than
40th century BCE and the Tărtăria tablets, bearing the same
symbols, believed to be 53th to 55th century BCE.

Never mind
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating_the_Bible
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls
either.

-Wolfgang

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flutes#History

[1] from say 3.39 million years BP[2] (Before Present ==
before 1950 CE) --- yes, that's way before Homo sapiens
round 200,000 BP and --- yes! --- before the genus Homo
is believed to appear round 2.4-2.3 million years BP ..

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo#cite_note-5

[3] http://archive.archaeology.org/9903/...efs/egypt.html


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.