Velocity Reviews

-   -   How prevent Adobe Flash Player update? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t958523-how-prevent-adobe-flash-player-update.html)

Robert Baer 03-09-2013 08:46 PM

How prevent Adobe Flash Player update?

Every once in a while, on boot-up, i get this unwanted, undesirable
and totally useless "pop-up" asking for installation of an update.

It is driving me crazy; how in the F can it be removed, disabled or
permanently prevented?

Paul 03-09-2013 09:38 PM

Re: How prevent Adobe Flash Player update?

Robert Baer wrote:
> Every once in a while, on boot-up, i get this unwanted, undesirable
> and totally useless "pop-up" asking for installation of an update.
>
> It is driving me crazy; how in the F can it be removed, disabled or
> permanently prevented?

Really old versions of Adobe Flash, did not offer a Control Panel.

Now, you should go to your Control Panel folder, and look for the
red-colored "Flash Player" control panel.

In there, the "Advanced" tab has the tick box for selecting update
policy. One of the options is

"Never check for updates"

HTH,
Paul

Robert Baer 03-10-2013 04:15 AM

Paul wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>> Every once in a while, on boot-up, i get this unwanted, undesirable
>> and totally useless "pop-up" asking for installation of an update.
>>
>> It is driving me crazy; how in the F can it be removed, disabled or
>> permanently prevented?

> Really old versions of Adobe Flash, did not offer a Control Panel.
>
> Now, you should go to your Control Panel folder, and look for the
> red-colored "Flash Player" control panel.
>
> In there, the "Advanced" tab has the tick box for selecting update
> policy. One of the options is
>
> "Never check for updates"
>
> HTH,
> Paul

No such icon; all i could find was "Automatic Updates" which appears
to be related only to WinDoze and i have that disabled.
Any other ideas?

Paul 03-10-2013 05:24 AM

Robert Baer wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> Robert Baer wrote:
>>> Every once in a while, on boot-up, i get this unwanted, undesirable
>>> and totally useless "pop-up" asking for installation of an update.
>>>
>>> It is driving me crazy; how in the F can it be removed, disabled or
>>> permanently prevented?

>> Really old versions of Adobe Flash, did not offer a Control Panel.
>>
>> Now, you should go to your Control Panel folder, and look for the
>> red-colored "Flash Player" control panel.
>>
>> In there, the "Advanced" tab has the tick box for selecting update
>> policy. One of the options is
>>
>> "Never check for updates"
>>
>> HTH,
>> Paul

> No such icon; all i could find was "Automatic Updates" which appears
> to be related only to WinDoze and i have that disabled.
> Any other ideas?

OK.

Try looking for a file like "mms.cfg".

These are the two lines contained in my file.

AutoUpdateDisable=1
SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0

I found that file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash

Paul

Robert Baer 03-10-2013 05:46 PM

Paul wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>> Paul wrote:

>>> Really old versions of Adobe Flash, did not offer a Control Panel.
>>>
>>> Now, you should go to your Control Panel folder, and look for the
>>> red-colored "Flash Player" control panel.
>>>
>>> In there, the "Advanced" tab has the tick box for selecting update
>>> policy. One of the options is
>>>
>>> "Never check for updates"
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Paul

>> No such icon; all i could find was "Automatic Updates" which appears
>> to be related only to WinDoze and i have that disabled.
>> Any other ideas?
>>

> OK.
>
> Try looking for a file like "mms.cfg".
>
> These are the two lines contained in my file.
>
> AutoUpdateDisable=1
> SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0
>
> I found that file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
>
> Paul

GACK!!!
No such file; i even did a search for *.CFG and found no related file.

What i did find: files for my A-D board DAS802\InstaCal, half of the
total .CFG for CorelDraw and CorelTrace, one for ExpressPCB, 2 for a
virtual HP PostScript printer, one for my KL-8100 label printer, a group
of them for an HP video driver, one for ViewMate, one for Acrobat 4.0
capture, SAM.CFG for M$ speech engine, another group of .CFG for
CorelDraw, 3 for DOS utilities, and 2 in \WINNT\System32 (midimap.cfg,
$WinMgmt.CFG).

In my \system32\Macromed\Flash folder, there are 2 .LOG files, one
..XPT file (binary), one EXE file,and one .DLL file; period.
BUT..the install.log file, near the bottom (463 lines) does have
something interesting:
** QUOTE **
Start Post Section
WriteRegStr: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\FlashPlaye rPlugin"
"Path"="G:\WINNT\system32\Macromed\Flash"
DeleteRegKey:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\MozillaPlugins\@macro media.com/FlashPlayer8"
DeleteRegKey:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\MozillaPlugins\@macro media.com/FlashPlayer9"
DeleteRegKey:
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MozillaPlugins\@macrom edia.com/FlashPlayer8"
DeleteRegKey:
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MozillaPlugins\@macrom edia.com/FlashPlayer9"
WriteRegStr:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe .com/FlashPlayer"
"Path"="G:\WINNT\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.d ll"
WriteRegStr:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe .com/FlashPlayer"
"XPTPath"="G:\WINNT\system32\Macromed\Flash\flashp layer.xpt"
WriteRegStr:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe .com/FlashPlayer"
"ProductName"="Adobe® Flash® Player Plugin"
WriteRegStr:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe .com/FlashPlayer"
"Vendor"="Adobe Systems Incorporated"
WriteRegStr:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe .com/FlashPlayer"
"Description"="Adobe® Flash® Player 9"
WriteRegStr:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe .com/FlashPlayer"
"Version"="9.0.124.0"
created uninstaller: 5752,
"G:\WINNT\system32\Macromed\Flash\uninstall_plugin .exe"
WriteRegStr:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
Flash Player Plugin" "DisplayName"="Adobe Flash Player Plugin"
WriteRegStr:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
Flash Player Plugin" "DisplayVersion"="9.0.124.0"
WriteRegStr:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
Flash Player Plugin" "Publisher"="Adobe Systems Incorporated"
WriteRegStr:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
Flash Player Plugin" "URLInfoAbout"="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer"
Call: 1639
File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=0,
name="G:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\nstB.tmp\ System.dll"
File: skipped: "G:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\nstB.tmp\Syste m.dll"
(overwriteflag=1)
Call: 1639
File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=0,
name="G:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\nstB.tmp\ System.dll"
File: skipped: "G:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\nstB.tmp\Syste m.dll"
(overwriteflag=1)
WriteRegStr:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
Flash Player Plugin"
"DisplayIcon"="G:\WINNT\system32\Macromed\Flash\un install_plugin.exe"
WriteRegStr:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
Flash Player Plugin"
"UninstallString"="G:\WINNT\system32\Macromed\Flas h\uninstall_plugin.exe"
WriteRegDWORD:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
Flash Player Plugin" "NoModify"="0x00000001"
WriteRegDWORD:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
Flash Player Plugin" "NoRepair"="0x00000001"
WriteRegStr: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\FlashPlayer "
"FlashPlayerVersion"="9.0.124.0"
End Post Section
** END QUOTE **

HOWSOMEVER, i see nothing there indicating that popup tickle.

Any other ideas?

Paul 03-10-2013 10:14 PM

Robert Baer wrote:

> GACK!!!
> No such file; i even did a search for *.CFG and found no related file.
>
> What i did find: files for my A-D board DAS802\InstaCal, half of the
> total .CFG for CorelDraw and CorelTrace, one for ExpressPCB, 2 for a
> virtual HP PostScript printer, one for my KL-8100 label printer, a group
> of them for an HP video driver, one for ViewMate, one for Acrobat 4.0
> capture, SAM.CFG for M$ speech engine, another group of .CFG for
> CorelDraw, 3 for DOS utilities, and 2 in \WINNT\System32 (midimap.cfg,
> $WinMgmt.CFG).
>
> In my \system32\Macromed\Flash folder, there are 2 .LOG files, one
> .XPT file (binary), one EXE file,and one .DLL file; period.
> BUT..the install.log file, near the bottom (463 lines) does have
> something interesting:

> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe .com/FlashPlayer"
> "Version"="9.0.124.0"

> HOWSOMEVER, i see nothing there indicating that popup tickle.
>
> Any other ideas?

I have that version, stored on disk here (the installer).

Look for FlashUtil9c.exe , as that could be the Updater.

If you dissect the .msi, there is a Data1.cab, and inside the cab are two
files. One file is the plugin, such as Flash9c.ocx (you want to keep
that one). The other one, FlashUtil9c.exe, is the one with the
unknown function.

A suggestion here, is that Flash doesn't depend on that program,
so if something happened to FlashUtil9c.exe, the plugin
would still work. Maybe you could rename the file slightly, and
see what happens. Or, use Autoruns from sysinternals.com and
see if that file shows up as a Startup item of some sort.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/...e-utility.html

In the installer here, the interesting bits are

FlashUtil9c.exe
52442A12_0334_40E2_BC90_E3BE2AD2E349

HTH,
Paul

Jeff Strickland 03-11-2013 04:39 PM

"Robert Baer" <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote in message
> Every once in a while, on boot-up, i get this unwanted, undesirable and
> totally useless "pop-up" asking for installation of an update.
>
> It is driving me crazy; how in the F can it be removed, disabled or
> permanently prevented?

Stupid question, but why not just update the Flash Player? Why would you
want an old version when they give you a new version for free, and some
Flash content reaquires the latest player.

Robert Baer 03-12-2013 12:15 AM

Paul wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>
>> GACK!!!
>> No such file; i even did a search for *.CFG and found no related file.
>>
>> What i did find: files for my A-D board DAS802\InstaCal, half of the
>> total .CFG for CorelDraw and CorelTrace, one for ExpressPCB, 2 for a
>> virtual HP PostScript printer, one for my KL-8100 label printer, a
>> group of them for an HP video driver, one for ViewMate, one for
>> Acrobat 4.0 capture, SAM.CFG for M$ speech engine, another group of
>> .CFG for CorelDraw, 3 for DOS utilities, and 2 in \WINNT\System32
>> (midimap.cfg, $WinMgmt.CFG).
>>
>> In my \system32\Macromed\Flash folder, there are 2 .LOG files, one
>> .XPT file (binary), one EXE file,and one .DLL file; period.
>> BUT..the install.log file, near the bottom (463 lines) does have
>> something interesting:

>> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe .com/FlashPlayer"
>> "Version"="9.0.124.0"

>> HOWSOMEVER, i see nothing there indicating that popup tickle.
>>
>> Any other ideas?

> I have that version, stored on disk here (the installer).
>
> Look for FlashUtil9c.exe , as that could be the Updater.
>
> If you dissect the .msi, there is a Data1.cab, and inside the cab are two
> files. One file is the plugin, such as Flash9c.ocx (you want to keep
> that one). The other one, FlashUtil9c.exe, is the one with the
> unknown function.

* No .MSI or .CAB in that folder; i renamed the .EXE to
FlashUtil10l_Plugin.XEXexe to disable it.

> A suggestion here, is that Flash doesn't depend on that program,
> so if something happened to FlashUtil9c.exe, the plugin
> would still work. Maybe you could rename the file slightly, and
> see what happens. Or, use Autoruns from sysinternals.com and
> see if that file shows up as a Startup item of some sort.

* sysinternals not found.
I have RegCleaner ver 4.3 and it is showing that there is a (new)
flash player update from Macromedia; no date tags on anything.

> http://www.sevenforums.com/software/...e-utility.html

* Well, maybe there is hope; the re-naming i did on a similar file as
noted above may do the trick.

> In the installer here, the interesting bits are
>
> FlashUtil9c.exe
> 52442A12_0334_40E2_BC90_E3BE2AD2E349
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Thanks.

alceryes 03-18-2013 01:43 AM

Re: How prevent Adobe Flash Player update?

You can access Adobe Flash settings from here -
http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...er.html#117118
They appear in your browser. The one you are looking for is 'Global
Notifications Settings panel'.

Robert Baer 03-18-2013 05:26 AM

alceryes wrote:
> You can access Adobe Flash settings from here -
> http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...er.html#117118
>
> They appear in your browser. The one you are looking for is 'Global
> Notifications Settings panel'.

* Pray tell WHERE that might be hiding; i DO NOT use Insipid Exploder.
I use SeaMonkey (similar to FireFox but has integrated newsgroup
support).