Velocity Reviews

-   -   An odd Windows behaviour (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t958474-an-odd-windows-behaviour.html)

Gib Bogle 03-07-2013 08:04 PM

An odd Windows behaviour

Normally when you right-click on a file and select 'Open with' you can
choose the program to open the file, either from the supplied list of
candidates or by browsing for the .exe. I have found that on one
machine I use (Windows XP, work computer) I am not able to open a
particular file type like this. The file is .pro, and is opened by
qtcreator.exe. When I browse for and select qtcreator.exe, the OS
ignores my choice and insists on opening it with my text editor. The
only way to open the file is to start qtcreator then open it. Other
machines I use do not have this problem.

It would be nice to understand what's happening, but more important to
know how to correct the problem. Presumably there is a way to tell
Windows that qtcreator.exe is the way to open a .pro file. Can someone
tell me what this is?

Gib Bogle 03-07-2013 08:32 PM

Re: An odd Windows behaviour

On 8/03/2013 9:04 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
> Normally when you right-click on a file and select 'Open with' you can
> choose the program to open the file, either from the supplied list of
> candidates or by browsing for the .exe. I have found that on one
> machine I use (Windows XP, work computer) I am not able to open a
> particular file type like this. The file is .pro, and is opened by
> qtcreator.exe. When I browse for and select qtcreator.exe, the OS
> ignores my choice and insists on opening it with my text editor. The
> only way to open the file is to start qtcreator then open it. Other
> machines I use do not have this problem.
>
> It would be nice to understand what's happening, but more important to
> know how to correct the problem. Presumably there is a way to tell
> Windows that qtcreator.exe is the way to open a .pro file. Can someone
> tell me what this is?

BTW the standard approach to set the file association does not work.
There seems to be something special about the .pro extension, on XP anyway.

~misfit~ 03-07-2013 10:37 PM

Re: An odd Windows behaviour

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
> On 8/03/2013 9:04 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
>> Normally when you right-click on a file and select 'Open with' you
>> can choose the program to open the file, either from the supplied
>> list of candidates or by browsing for the .exe. I have found that
>> on one machine I use (Windows XP, work computer) I am not able to
>> open a particular file type like this. The file is .pro, and is
>> opened by qtcreator.exe. When I browse for and select
>> qtcreator.exe, the OS ignores my choice and insists on opening it
>> with my text editor. The only way to open the file is to start
>> qtcreator then open it. Other machines I use do not have this
>> problem. It would be nice to understand what's happening, but more
>> important
>> to know how to correct the problem. Presumably there is a way to
>> tell Windows that qtcreator.exe is the way to open a .pro file. Can
>> someone tell me what this is?

> BTW the standard approach to set the file association does not work.
> There seems to be something special about the .pro extension, on XP
> anyway.

Maybe it's been told to always open with notepad (checkbox ticked)? I could
be wrong.......

If so I think there's a registry setting that can be changed to go back to
giving you a choice.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Gib Bogle 03-07-2013 10:50 PM

Re: An odd Windows behaviour

On 8/03/2013 11:37 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
>> On 8/03/2013 9:04 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
>>> Normally when you right-click on a file and select 'Open with' you
>>> can choose the program to open the file, either from the supplied
>>> list of candidates or by browsing for the .exe. I have found that
>>> on one machine I use (Windows XP, work computer) I am not able to
>>> open a particular file type like this. The file is .pro, and is
>>> opened by qtcreator.exe. When I browse for and select
>>> qtcreator.exe, the OS ignores my choice and insists on opening it
>>> with my text editor. The only way to open the file is to start
>>> qtcreator then open it. Other machines I use do not have this
>>> problem. It would be nice to understand what's happening, but more
>>> important
>>> to know how to correct the problem. Presumably there is a way to
>>> tell Windows that qtcreator.exe is the way to open a .pro file. Can
>>> someone tell me what this is?

>> BTW the standard approach to set the file association does not work.
>> There seems to be something special about the .pro extension, on XP
>> anyway.

> Maybe it's been told to always open with notepad (checkbox ticked)? I could
> be wrong.......
>
> If so I think there's a registry setting that can be changed to go back to
> giving you a choice.

Unticking the checkbox and trying to set up a different program doesn't
succeed. Presumably the setting procedure (going through Control Panel,
Folder Options, File Types... takes you to the same place as the
right-click, open with, ...) does write a registry setting. I could
search for it I guess...

Gib Bogle 03-08-2013 01:44 AM

Re: An odd Windows behaviour

On 8/03/2013 11:37 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
>> On 8/03/2013 9:04 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
>>> Normally when you right-click on a file and select 'Open with' you
>>> can choose the program to open the file, either from the supplied
>>> list of candidates or by browsing for the .exe. I have found that
>>> on one machine I use (Windows XP, work computer) I am not able to
>>> open a particular file type like this. The file is .pro, and is
>>> opened by qtcreator.exe. When I browse for and select
>>> qtcreator.exe, the OS ignores my choice and insists on opening it
>>> with my text editor. The only way to open the file is to start
>>> qtcreator then open it. Other machines I use do not have this
>>> problem. It would be nice to understand what's happening, but more
>>> important
>>> to know how to correct the problem. Presumably there is a way to
>>> tell Windows that qtcreator.exe is the way to open a .pro file. Can
>>> someone tell me what this is?

>> BTW the standard approach to set the file association does not work.
>> There seems to be something special about the .pro extension, on XP
>> anyway.

> Maybe it's been told to always open with notepad (checkbox ticked)? I could
> be wrong.......
>
> If so I think there's a registry setting that can be changed to go back to
> giving you a choice.

Oddly, qtcreator.exe is in the registry setting for .pro. It does not
appear in the list offered in Explorer though. It's as if it doesn't
meet some Windows criterion. I thought perhaps its location needed to
be in the PATH, but that didn't make any difference.

~misfit~ 03-08-2013 04:28 AM

Re: An odd Windows behaviour

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
> On 8/03/2013 11:37 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW the standard approach to set the file association does not work.
>>> There seems to be something special about the .pro extension, on XP
>>> anyway.

>> Maybe it's been told to always open with notepad (checkbox ticked)?
>> I could be wrong.......
>>
>> If so I think there's a registry setting that can be changed to go
>> back to giving you a choice.

> Oddly, qtcreator.exe is in the registry setting for .pro. It does not
> appear in the list offered in Explorer though. It's as if it doesn't
> meet some Windows criterion. I thought perhaps its location needed to
> be in the PATH, but that didn't make any difference.

Bugger! Well, that's me out of ideas then. :-/ Sorry my suggestion wasn't
of use.

Gib Bogle 03-08-2013 04:38 AM

Re: An odd Windows behaviour

On 8/03/2013 5:28 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:

>>> Maybe it's been told to always open with notepad (checkbox ticked)?
>>> I could be wrong.......
>>>
>>> If so I think there's a registry setting that can be changed to go
>>> back to giving you a choice.

>> Oddly, qtcreator.exe is in the registry setting for .pro. It does not
>> appear in the list offered in Explorer though. It's as if it doesn't
>> meet some Windows criterion. I thought perhaps its location needed to
>> be in the PATH, but that didn't make any difference.

> Bugger! Well, that's me out of ideas then. :-/ Sorry my suggestion wasn't
> of use.

Thanks for trying, mate!

Malcolm 03-08-2013 04:49 AM

Re: An odd Windows behaviour

On Fri 08 Mar 2013 05:38:39 PM CST, Gib Bogle wrote:

>>> Oddly, qtcreator.exe is in the registry setting for .pro. It does
>>> not appear in the list offered in Explorer though. It's as if it
>>> doesn't meet some Windows criterion. I thought perhaps its
>>> location needed to be in the PATH, but that didn't make any
>>> difference.

>> Bugger! Well, that's me out of ideas then. :-/ Sorry my suggestion
>> wasn't of use.
>>

>Thanks for trying, mate!

Hi
Mime types...
http://www.ehow.com/how_6924444_edit-mime-types-ie.html

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.28-2.20-desktop

Gib Bogle 03-08-2013 05:55 AM

Re: An odd Windows behaviour

On 8/03/2013 5:49 p.m., Malcolm wrote:

>>> Bugger! Well, that's me out of ideas then. :-/ Sorry my suggestion
>>> wasn't of use.
>>>

>> Thanks for trying, mate!

> Hi
> Mime types...
> http://www.ehow.com/how_6924444_edit-mime-types-ie.html

Hi Malcolm. This has nothing to do with Internet Explorer or mime
types. Read my original post. ;)

Gib Bogle 03-08-2013 06:01 AM

Re: An odd Windows behaviour

On 8/03/2013 5:49 p.m., Malcolm wrote:

>>> Bugger! Well, that's me out of ideas then. :-/ Sorry my suggestion
>>> wasn't of use.
>>>

>> Thanks for trying, mate!

> Hi
> Mime types...
> http://www.ehow.com/how_6924444_edit-mime-types-ie.html

I've been through the Control Panel system for associated a program with
a file type. It doesn't work for this program.