Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   Sorta on topic... Dash Cams (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t958449-sorta-on-topic-dash-cams.html)

~misfit~ 03-07-2013 08:28 AM

Sorta on topic... Dash Cams
 
Does anyone know where to peruse and perhaps buy a range of 'dash cams'? I
hear that they're popular overseas so it's likely they're made in bulk and
aren't crazy prices. <crosses fingers>

Just recently, while driving I've seen some hair-raising ****. Last year I
tried to report a truck-driver for trying to side-swipe me on the motorway.
He, sitting higher than me, could see a lot further ahead. I was just
starting to wonder why the left lane was slowing considerably when this
truck-and-trailer unit swerved halfway across the fast lane just as I was
alongside his rearmost axle. (I have a small car, maybe he thought I was
further back?)

As it was I had to then suddenly swerve myself, to within inches of the
median concrete barrier, while braking. No false modesty here; A lesser
driver would likely have been involved in an accident. Braking alone
wouldn't have got you out of that situation so it was a case of judging how
close the trailer was to my left guard, the barrier to my right at the same
time how much braking force I could safely apply while maintaining control.
Lucky I have a small, nimble car.

Turned out there was something going on up ahead and the traffic was reduced
to one lane. However *I* couldn't see that - I'm not that arsehole who
rushes alongside then squeezes in - if I could see what was going on I would
have slowed and merged. Obviously the truckie thought that I *was* that
arsehole and wanted me to have a last meal of concrete.

When I got back to Pukekohe I went to the cop shop and reported it. I'd
managed to jot down the trailer's rego number and the company's name on the
back of the trailer - that's all I saw - unless they wanted to know how much
tread was on the rear tyres! A few weeks after reporting it I was told that
no further action would be taken as I couldn't supply details of the tractor
unit. Well, excuse me if I was totally focused on staying alive!

Anyway, saw on the news the other night some 'dash cam' footage from
Russia - where apparently most cars have them - mainly for resolving
insurance disputes. Now, I know that we're a bit backwards here in that not
even our police have dash cams but I think that's just so they can continue
to chase joyriding kids until they crash at 150kms/hr... Sorry, drifted off
my point.

Since that truck incident I've seen other stupid / inept motorist doing
things that have endangered the lives of me and others. Such a thing
happened today for instance. Trouble is I'm so totally focused on spatial
awareness and getting myself and my vehicle into a place where it's not
going to be mashed (while avoiding any other vehicles that might also be
unpredictably doing the same thing) that I don't exactly get details.

Surely there must be a relatively trustworthy source of these things quite
cheaply somewhere? I've done a cursory Google - then thought to ask here as
I know from past posts that there are folks who post(ed?) here to whom these
would appeal. Folks who might have already sorted out a supplier...

So, does anyone know of a source? Please? My Ukranian friend is coming to
visit for a month in June but he lives in NYC and isn't going to Ukraine
between now and then or I'd ask him - as Ukraine still has strong ties with
Russia.

TYVMIA,
--
/Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)



David Empson 03-07-2013 09:11 AM

Re: Sorta on topic... Dash Cams
 
~misfit~ <shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know where to peruse and perhaps buy a range of 'dash cams'? I
> hear that they're popular overseas so it's likely they're made in bulk and
> aren't crazy prices. <crosses fingers>


<http://jaycar.co.nz/productResults.a...SUBCATID=1042&
keyform=CAT2#5>

Not exactly cheap, but that gives a starting point from a local
supplier. (I see the non-GPS model is out of stock.)

Jaycar offers moderate trade discounts, if you know someone who has a
trade account with them.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz

JohnO 03-07-2013 09:46 PM

Re: Sorta on topic... Dash Cams
 
On Thursday, 7 March 2013 21:28:04 UTC+13, ~misfit~ wrote:
> Does anyone know where to peruse and perhaps buy a range of 'dash cams'? I
>
> hear that they're popular overseas so it's likely they're made in bulk and
>
> aren't crazy prices. <crosses fingers>
>
>
>
> Just recently, while driving I've seen some hair-raising ****. Last year I
>
> tried to report a truck-driver for trying to side-swipe me on the motorway.
>
> He, sitting higher than me, could see a lot further ahead. I was just
>
> starting to wonder why the left lane was slowing considerably when this
>
> truck-and-trailer unit swerved halfway across the fast lane just as I was
>
> alongside his rearmost axle. (I have a small car, maybe he thought I was
>
> further back?)
>
>
>
> As it was I had to then suddenly swerve myself, to within inches of the
>
> median concrete barrier, while braking. No false modesty here; A lesser
>
> driver would likely have been involved in an accident. Braking alone
>
> wouldn't have got you out of that situation so it was a case of judging how
>
> close the trailer was to my left guard, the barrier to my right at the same
>
> time how much braking force I could safely apply while maintaining control.
>
> Lucky I have a small, nimble car.
>
>
>
> Turned out there was something going on up ahead and the traffic was reduced
>
> to one lane. However *I* couldn't see that - I'm not that arsehole who
>
> rushes alongside then squeezes in - if I could see what was going on I would
>
> have slowed and merged. Obviously the truckie thought that I *was* that
>
> arsehole and wanted me to have a last meal of concrete.
>
>
>
> When I got back to Pukekohe I went to the cop shop and reported it. I'd
>
> managed to jot down the trailer's rego number and the company's name on the
>
> back of the trailer - that's all I saw - unless they wanted to know how much
>
> tread was on the rear tyres! A few weeks after reporting it I was told that
>
> no further action would be taken as I couldn't supply details of the tractor
>
> unit. Well, excuse me if I was totally focused on staying alive!
>
>
>
> Anyway, saw on the news the other night some 'dash cam' footage from
>
> Russia - where apparently most cars have them - mainly for resolving
>
> insurance disputes. Now, I know that we're a bit backwards here in that not
>
> even our police have dash cams but I think that's just so they can continue
>
> to chase joyriding kids until they crash at 150kms/hr... Sorry, drifted off
>
> my point.
>
>
>
> Since that truck incident I've seen other stupid / inept motorist doing
>
> things that have endangered the lives of me and others. Such a thing
>
> happened today for instance. Trouble is I'm so totally focused on spatial
>
> awareness and getting myself and my vehicle into a place where it's not
>
> going to be mashed (while avoiding any other vehicles that might also be
>
> unpredictably doing the same thing) that I don't exactly get details.
>
>
>
> Surely there must be a relatively trustworthy source of these things quite
>
> cheaply somewhere? I've done a cursory Google - then thought to ask here as
>
> I know from past posts that there are folks who post(ed?) here to whom these
>
> would appeal. Folks who might have already sorted out a supplier...
>
>
>
> So, does anyone know of a source? Please? My Ukranian friend is coming to
>
> visit for a month in June but he lives in NYC and isn't going to Ukraine
>
> between now and then or I'd ask him - as Ukraine still has strong ties with
>
> Russia.
>
>
>
> TYVMIA,
>
> --
>
> /Shaun.
>
>
>
> "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
>
> cozy little classification in the DSM."
>
> David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)


The good ones not only record video but also have a GPS and can embed the location and speed etc in the data.

aliexpress.com has millions of 'em (plus all sorts of other gadgets).

Just look for someone selling them in lots of one, with free freight.

I've bought a few bits and bobs from aliexpress - all transactions are under escrow and I've found them to be reliable and cheap.

JohnO 03-07-2013 09:48 PM

Re: Sorta on topic... Dash Cams
 
On Friday, 8 March 2013 10:46:16 UTC+13, JohnO wrote:
> On Thursday, 7 March 2013 21:28:04 UTC+13, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know where to peruse and perhaps buy a range of 'dash cams'? I

>
> >

>
> > hear that they're popular overseas so it's likely they're made in bulk and

>
> >

>
> > aren't crazy prices. <crosses fingers>

>
> >

>
> >

>
> >

>
> > Just recently, while driving I've seen some hair-raising ****. Last year I

>
> >

>
> > tried to report a truck-driver for trying to side-swipe me on the motorway.

>
> >

>
> > He, sitting higher than me, could see a lot further ahead. I was just

>
> >

>
> > starting to wonder why the left lane was slowing considerably when this

>
> >

>
> > truck-and-trailer unit swerved halfway across the fast lane just as I was

>
> >

>
> > alongside his rearmost axle. (I have a small car, maybe he thought I was

>
> >

>
> > further back?)

>
> >

>
> >

>
> >

>
> > As it was I had to then suddenly swerve myself, to within inches of the

>
> >

>
> > median concrete barrier, while braking. No false modesty here; A lesser

>
> >

>
> > driver would likely have been involved in an accident. Braking alone

>
> >

>
> > wouldn't have got you out of that situation so it was a case of judging how

>
> >

>
> > close the trailer was to my left guard, the barrier to my right at the same

>
> >

>
> > time how much braking force I could safely apply while maintaining control.

>
> >

>
> > Lucky I have a small, nimble car.

>
> >

>
> >

>
> >

>
> > Turned out there was something going on up ahead and the traffic was reduced

>
> >

>
> > to one lane. However *I* couldn't see that - I'm not that arsehole who

>
> >

>
> > rushes alongside then squeezes in - if I could see what was going on I would

>
> >

>
> > have slowed and merged. Obviously the truckie thought that I *was* that

>
> >

>
> > arsehole and wanted me to have a last meal of concrete.

>
> >

>
> >

>
> >

>
> > When I got back to Pukekohe I went to the cop shop and reported it. I'd

>
> >

>
> > managed to jot down the trailer's rego number and the company's name on the

>
> >

>
> > back of the trailer - that's all I saw - unless they wanted to know how much

>
> >

>
> > tread was on the rear tyres! A few weeks after reporting it I was told that

>
> >

>
> > no further action would be taken as I couldn't supply details of the tractor

>
> >

>
> > unit. Well, excuse me if I was totally focused on staying alive!

>
> >

>
> >

>
> >

>
> > Anyway, saw on the news the other night some 'dash cam' footage from

>
> >

>
> > Russia - where apparently most cars have them - mainly for resolving

>
> >

>
> > insurance disputes. Now, I know that we're a bit backwards here in that not

>
> >

>
> > even our police have dash cams but I think that's just so they can continue

>
> >

>
> > to chase joyriding kids until they crash at 150kms/hr... Sorry, drifted off

>
> >

>
> > my point.

>
> >

>
> >

>
> >

>
> > Since that truck incident I've seen other stupid / inept motorist doing

>
> >

>
> > things that have endangered the lives of me and others. Such a thing

>
> >

>
> > happened today for instance. Trouble is I'm so totally focused on spatial

>
> >

>
> > awareness and getting myself and my vehicle into a place where it's not

>
> >

>
> > going to be mashed (while avoiding any other vehicles that might also be

>
> >

>
> > unpredictably doing the same thing) that I don't exactly get details.

>
> >

>
> >

>
> >

>
> > Surely there must be a relatively trustworthy source of these things quite

>
> >

>
> > cheaply somewhere? I've done a cursory Google - then thought to ask here as

>
> >

>
> > I know from past posts that there are folks who post(ed?) here to whom these

>
> >

>
> > would appeal. Folks who might have already sorted out a supplier...

>
> >

>
> >

>
> >

>
> > So, does anyone know of a source? Please? My Ukranian friend is coming to

>
> >

>
> > visit for a month in June but he lives in NYC and isn't going to Ukraine

>
> >

>
> > between now and then or I'd ask him - as Ukraine still has strong ties with

>
> >

>
> > Russia.

>
> >

>
> >

>
> >

>
> > TYVMIA,

>
> >

>
> > --

>
> >

>
> > /Shaun.

>
> >

>
> >

>
> >

>
> > "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a

>
> >

>
> > cozy little classification in the DSM."

>
> >

>
> > David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

>
>
>
> The good ones not only record video but also have a GPS and can embed the location and speed etc in the data.
>
>
>
> aliexpress.com has millions of 'em (plus all sorts of other gadgets).
>
>
>
> Just look for someone selling them in lots of one, with free freight.
>
>
>
> I've bought a few bits and bobs from aliexpress - all transactions are under escrow and I've found them to be reliable and cheap.


Oh, and a G sensor, so if you get smacked it automatically saves off the last x minutes and next x minutes in a separate file.

like this one: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-v...702984635.html


Bret 03-07-2013 10:09 PM

Re: Sorta on topic... Dash Cams
 
On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 21:28:04 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

<Snip>
> So, does anyone know of a source? Please? My Ukranian friend is coming to
> visit for a month in June but he lives in NYC and isn't going to Ukraine
> between now and then or I'd ask him - as Ukraine still has strong ties with
> Russia.
>
> TYVMIA,


http://dx.com/s/Car+DVR.html?category=100710

Great site thanks for putting me on to it.

~misfit~ 03-07-2013 10:27 PM

Re: Sorta on topic... Dash Cams
 
Somewhere on teh intarwebs David Empson wrote:
> ~misfit~ <shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know where to peruse and perhaps buy a range of 'dash
>> cams'? I hear that they're popular overseas so it's likely they're
>> made in bulk and aren't crazy prices. <crosses fingers>

>
> <http://jaycar.co.nz/productResults.a...SUBCATID=1042&
> keyform=CAT2#5>
>
> Not exactly cheap, but that gives a starting point from a local
> supplier. (I see the non-GPS model is out of stock.)
>
> Jaycar offers moderate trade discounts, if you know someone who has a
> trade account with them.


Thanks for that David, I might look into it. It's quite a bit of money for
me (for the non-GPS version - if it comes back in stock - especially when
you factor in a decent-sized / speed card) but; a) if it proves culpability
in an accident or even b) if it can be used to prosecute some moron then
it's worth it.

Also, if I read those Jaycar pages right the GPS-enabled version doesn't
have a wide-angle lens - only 95 compared with the others 120. From what
I've read for anything other than recording your trip you need at least
120. I don't need one with a display, it would only be distracting. As long
as it locks into place securely then I'd be happy to set it up with my
laptop on the passenger seat for a test-drive, then disconnect it.

After I posted I looked at DealExtreme and they have quite a few, starting
at around US$30 delivered. However with my last two purchases from DX ($11
and $31) I might as well have flushed money down the toilet. (They have a
claims process but the only time I used it I found it tortuous and
protracted.) It's a shame because, although DX has always been a bit of a
lottery, IME the odds have previously been much more favourable.

Apparently in Russia if you have a dash-cam fitted and working then your
insurance premium is roughly halved - so it usually pays for itself in the
first year. I only have 3rd party, fire and theft insurance (and then I had
to argue with the insurers to get a reasonable insured price as apparently
the book value of my car is ~$500. I told them that, as it's coming up on 30
years old it's now starting to climb in value and you can't find a legal,
running specimen for under ~$2K) but I still think it would benefit me to
have a camera.

I'm told that there are a lot of clips from these Russian dash-cams on
youtube (but even more on the Russian version - the name of which has
slipped my mind.....

As with LED DRLs, NZ will probably be half-a-decade behind with the adoption
of this sort of tech. (I've had LED DRLs retro-fitted to my little Honda for
a couple of years now and it certainly improves on my cars visibility,
especially on grey days. Much better to be running 6 watts rather than the
~110 watts that my headlights on low beam need. It all comes out of the fuel
tank after all. Also the DRLs are actually much more noticable than dipped
headlights.

(Oh, forgot to mention in my OT story that, when the truck swerved across my
lane I couldn't see ahead because there was an SUV (or 'brick walls' as I
call them on the road) just over a truck-and-trailer's length in front of
me - my usual following distance behind those death-traps. Also, the trailer
unit might have 'whiplashed' a bit as I can't imagine (don't want to
imagine) that there are people out there who would do things like that
deliberately. Seriously, I only had centimetres between his axle and my car
and my car and the concrete - and my car is *very* narrow. Most anyone else
I know, in any other car, would have ended up in a serious accident.)

Cheers,
--
/Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)



~misfit~ 03-08-2013 04:50 AM

Re: Sorta on topic... Dash Cams
 
Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
> On Friday, 8 March 2013 10:46:16 UTC+13, JohnO wrote:
>> On Thursday, 7 March 2013 21:28:04 UTC+13, ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> Does anyone know where to peruse and perhaps buy a range of 'dash
>>> cams'? I

[snips]
>> I've bought a few bits and bobs from aliexpress - all transactions
>> are under escrow and I've found them to be reliable and cheap.

>
> Oh, and a G sensor, so if you get smacked it automatically saves off
> the last x minutes and next x minutes in a separate file.
>
> like this one:
> http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-v...702984635.html


Now that is almost perfect - and reasonably priced! Such a shame that it
only records at 640 x 480... Hang on, in the initial blurb it says 'Camera
resolution 640x480' but further down it says 'Video resolution 1280x480'.
Confusing.... Unless it's putting forward and rearward pics side-by-side and
calling that 'video resolution'?

I've heard (and read in a user review on DX from a guy in Slovakia) that the
introduction of dash-cams has made roads much safer and reduced the number
of accidents considerably. (You'd think that the NZ govt, with it's
squillions spent on advertising campaigns around holiday periods would
perhaps even subsidise these if they do in fact save lives.)

Thanks for the link - if I can find out categorically if the forward
resolution is decent I might order one.....
--
/Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)



~misfit~ 03-08-2013 04:53 AM

Re: Sorta on topic... Dash Cams
 
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 21:28:04 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>> So, does anyone know of a source? Please? My Ukranian friend is
>> coming to visit for a month in June but he lives in NYC and isn't
>> going to Ukraine between now and then or I'd ask him - as Ukraine
>> still has strong ties with Russia.
>>
>> TYVMIA,

>
> http://dx.com/s/Car+DVR.html?category=100710
>
> Great site thanks for putting me on to it.


You're welcome. Shame that someone can't find out what is a really good
model and find out who's interested here and bulk-buy them. I'd be in for
one....
--
/Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)



Bret 03-08-2013 05:39 AM

Re: Sorta on topic... Dash Cams
 
On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 17:53:02 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 21:28:04 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>> So, does anyone know of a source? Please? My Ukranian friend is
>>> coming to visit for a month in June but he lives in NYC and isn't
>>> going to Ukraine between now and then or I'd ask him - as Ukraine
>>> still has strong ties with Russia.
>>>
>>> TYVMIA,

>>
>> http://dx.com/s/Car+DVR.html?category=100710
>>
>> Great site thanks for putting me on to it.

>
> You're welcome. Shame that someone can't find out what is a really good
> model and find out who's interested here and bulk-buy them. I'd be in for
> one....


I always look for the items with most reviews, positive reviews that is.

Gordon 03-09-2013 03:28 AM

Re: Sorta on topic... Dash Cams
 
On 2013-03-08, ~misfit~ <shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've heard (and read in a user review on DX from a guy in Slovakia) that the
> introduction of dash-cams has made roads much safer and reduced the number
> of accidents considerably. (You'd think that the NZ govt, with it's
> squillions spent on advertising campaigns around holiday periods would
> perhaps even subsidise these if they do in fact save lives.)


What about the backlash of privacy invasion?

NZTA (read the Govt.) is a breaucracy. It act so slowly, that by the time
the new idea is main stream they come out and say, look at what we have
thought is a good idea.

Then they also fire off thoughts off the top of their head without thinking
too much. Nova pay and school changes are two recent ones.

Trucks ahve dash cams, and they are capturing the stuff that need only
appear on commerical TV. Dumded down to hell as it is.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.