Velocity Reviews

-   -   High ISO Grain actually Looks Good! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t958305-high-iso-grain-actually-looks-good.html)

Garvin Yee 03-03-2013 11:37 AM

High ISO Grain actually Looks Good!

I often shoot at 1600, or the highest ISO
setting "H", on my Canon 40D, because I usually
don't like the effect of the flash.

But surprisingly, the added grain is not bad
at all, and in fact I actually like it! It gives
more of a traditional, analog feel to the pics!

--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3473501...66520134/show/
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/garvin-yee.html

MC 03-03-2013 02:00 PM

Re: High ISO Grain actually Looks Good!

Garvin Yee wrote:

> I often shoot at 1600, or the highest ISO
> setting "H", on my Canon 40D, because I usually
> don't like the effect of the flash.
>
> But surprisingly, the added grain is not bad
> at all, and in fact I actually like it! It gives
> more of a traditional, analog feel to the pics!

There is"grain" and there is noisy. Film grain can (not always) add to
the atmosphere of a photograph. However, sensor noise does, most of
the time, just look...well...noisy.
Having said that, the Canon 40D is not that noisy at high ISOs. Better
than most of that generation of camera.

MC

Garvin Yee 03-03-2013 02:42 PM

On 3/3/2013 7:00 AM, MC wrote:
> Garvin Yee wrote:
>

>> I often shoot at 1600, or the highest ISO
>> setting "H", on my Canon 40D, because I usually
>> don't like the effect of the flash.
>>
>> But surprisingly, the added grain is not bad
>> at all, and in fact I actually like it! It gives
>> more of a traditional, analog feel to the pics!

> There is"grain" and there is noisy. Film grain can (not always) add to
> the atmosphere of a photograph. However, sensor noise does, most of
> the time, just look...well...noisy.
> Having said that, the Canon 40D is not that noisy at high ISOs. Better
> than most of that generation of camera.

Well, I can see the higher ISO noise better when
I adjust the brightness and contrast in photoshop, but
as I said, the noise looks fine to me, and actually
good in some cases.

Kevin McMurtrie 03-03-2013 06:28 PM

Re: High ISO Grain actually Looks Good!

In article <kgvcjs$2o7$1@dont-email.me>,
Garvin Yee <Drsmith004@gmail.com> wrote:

> I often shoot at 1600, or the highest ISO
> setting "H", on my Canon 40D, because I usually
> don't like the effect of the flash.
>
> But surprisingly, the added grain is not bad
> at all, and in fact I actually like it! It gives
> more of a traditional, analog feel to the pics!

That depends on the camera. The sensor linearity goes bad at high ISO
so you're lucky to have a camera where the RGB channels stay aligned.
Many cameras will have color casts that vary between shadows and
highlights. My T3i starts looking bad above ISO 1000, especially if the
white balance needs correction.

I recently bought a Canon 480ex II to solve the dark room problem and I
love it. It's an incredibly small, capable, and inexpensive remote
flash. A folding 6"x8" softbox makes the light perfect.

Garvin Yee 03-03-2013 09:38 PM

On 3/3/2013 11:28 AM, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
> In article <kgvcjs$2o7$1@dont-email.me>,
> Garvin Yee <Drsmith004@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I often shoot at 1600, or the highest ISO
>> setting "H", on my Canon 40D, because I usually
>> don't like the effect of the flash.
>>
>> But surprisingly, the added grain is not bad
>> at all, and in fact I actually like it! It gives
>> more of a traditional, analog feel to the pics!

> That depends on the camera. The sensor linearity goes bad at high ISO
> so you're lucky to have a camera where the RGB channels stay aligned.
> Many cameras will have color casts that vary between shadows and
> highlights. My T3i starts looking bad above ISO 1000, especially if the
> white balance needs correction.

Well, I must have a great camera then, because 1000 ISO
is no problem at all. In fact, the highest setting "H", one
step above 1600, still looks good to me.

The Canon 40D rocks!

Garvin Yee 03-04-2013 01:16 AM

On 3/3/2013 3:00 PM, George Kerby wrote:

> On 3/3/13 3:38 PM, in article kh0fpn$4lq$1@dont-email.me, "Garvin Yee"
> <Drsmith004@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/3/2013 11:28 AM, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

>>> That depends on the camera. The sensor linearity goes bad at high ISO
>>> so you're lucky to have a camera where the RGB channels stay aligned.
>>> Many cameras will have color casts that vary between shadows and
>>> highlights. My T3i starts looking bad above ISO 1000, especially if the
>>> white balance needs correction.
>>>

>> Well, I must have a great camera then, because 1000 ISO
>> is no problem at all. In fact, the highest setting "H", one
>> step above 1600, still looks good to me.
>>
>> The Canon 40D rocks!
>>

> BTW, your link to your picture in your sig line is broken.
>
> All I get is this: "This is not the page you're looking for.
>
> It looks like you're trying to see something in Garvin Yee's photostream.
>
> Here are their most recent uploads..."
>
> AND, I might add, you have some *very* interesting work there. I like it!

Hmmm, are you sure? I just tried both links, and they both worked
for me. Opening into Outlook.

I'm glad you like my work! :)

RichA 03-04-2013 05:42 AM

On Mar 3, 6:37*am, Garvin Yee <Drsmith...@gmail.com> wrote:
> * *I often shoot at 1600, or the highest ISO
> setting "H", on my Canon 40D, because I usually
> don't like the effect of the flash.
>
> * *But surprisingly, the added grain is not bad
> at all, and in fact I actually like it! *It gives
> more of a traditional, analog feel to the pics!
>
> --http://www.flickr.com/photos/34735015@N03/sets/72157623566520134/show/http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/garvin-yee.html

Film grain is sometimes attractive, often sand-like. Digital noise is
more like irregular pablum. If you like digital with a film- grain
look, seek out a used Fuji S5 and shoot at 800 ISO or so.

Garvin Yee 03-04-2013 08:15 AM

On 3/4/2013 12:09 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-03-03 21:42:59 -0800, RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> said:
>
>> On Mar 3, 6:37 am, Garvin Yee <Drsmith...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I often shoot at 1600, or the highest ISO
>>> setting "H", on my Canon 40D, because I usually
>>> don't like the effect of the flash.
>>>
>>> But surprisingly, the added grain is not bad
>>> at all, and in fact I actually like it! It gives
>>> more of a traditional, analog feel to the pics!
>>>
>>> --http://www.flickr.com/photos/34735015@N03/sets/72157623566520134/show/h
>>>

>> ttp://fineartamerica.com/profiles/garvin-yee.html
>>
>> Film grain is sometimes attractive, often sand-like. Digital noise is
>> more like irregular pablum. If you like digital with a film- grain
>> look, seek out a used Fuji S5 and shoot at 800 ISO or so.

> Well, if you shoot clean with low noise, with a D300 at ISO 400, and
> then simulate film grain with, let's say NIK Silver Efex Pro, you might
> get this sort of result.
> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...C_3812-SEw.jpg >

That looks really nice. It's different than the noise
I get with my 40D, but whatever that noise is, it looks
good to me, and I don't hesitate to use the highest ISO
setting anymore....

Kevin McMurtrie 03-05-2013 05:37 PM

Re: High ISO Grain actually Looks Good!

In article <2013030323090527544-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> On 2013-03-03 21:42:59 -0800, RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> said:
>
> > On Mar 3, 6:37*am, Garvin Yee <Drsmith...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> * *I often shoot at 1600, or the highest ISO
> >> setting "H", on my Canon 40D, because I usually
> >> don't like the effect of the flash.
> >>
> >> * *But surprisingly, the added grain is not bad
> >> at all, and in fact I actually like it! *It gives
> >> more of a traditional, analog feel to the pics!
> >>
> >> --http://www.flickr.com/photos/34735015@N03/sets/72157623566520134/show/h

> > ttp://fineartamerica.com/profiles/garvin-yee.html
> >
> > Film grain is sometimes attractive, often sand-like. Digital noise is
> > more like irregular pablum. If you like digital with a film- grain
> > look, seek out a used Fuji S5 and shoot at 800 ISO or so.

> Well, if you shoot clean with low noise, with a D300 at ISO 400, and
> then simulate film grain with, let's say NIK Silver Efex Pro, you might
> get this sort of result.
> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...C_3812-SEw.jpg >

I forget the details, but there were some image compression and audio
compression tests a in the mid 1990s testing the limits loss acceptance.
It was found that people perceived upsampled images and audio as sharper
and clearer if they were distorted to contain high frequency noise.
Simple random high frequency noise tested very well. If the noise was
modulated based on perceptual rules, many people could not tell that the
media was actually severely degraded.

Modern ultra-low bitrate audio codecs, like AAC variants, do calculate
where to add high frequency noise upon decompression.

philo  03-09-2013 02:57 PM

On 03/03/2013 05:37 AM, Garvin Yee wrote:

> I often shoot at 1600, or the highest ISO
> setting "H", on my Canon 40D, because I usually
> don't like the effect of the flash.
>
> But surprisingly, the added grain is not bad
> at all, and in fact I actually like it! It gives
> more of a traditional, analog feel to the pics!

Yep...

when I did my Kochanski series I used my Canon 50D set to 12,800 ISO.

The light level in the establishment was extremely low.

I converted the images to gray-scale and the only thing I did as far as
editing was to work with the brightness and contrast a bit.

One of my friends who is a bit of a photography expert thought they were
shot with my 35mm camera and it was "pushed" Tri-X.

I took that as an extreme compliment as when I still used a darkroom
"pushed" Tri-X was the look I always liked.

--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686