Velocity Reviews

-   -   "No symbol" error using pystack gdb macro (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t958230-no-symbol-error-using-pystack-gdb-macro.html)

debby@josesmex.com 03-01-2013 04:07 PM

"No symbol" error using pystack gdb macro

I'm relatively new to Python, running Python 3.3 on FreeBSD

I have a process which has started to spike CPU usage. I'm trying to find out what it's doing.

I tried the "pystack" macro suggested here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1.../147114#147114

I got the gdbinit macro from:

http://svn.python.org/projects/pytho...k/Misc/gdbinit

When I attach gdb, it tells me it is loading symbols from python3.3m

However when I run pystack I get:

No symbol "PyStringObject" in current context.

Do I need an updated version of the gdb macro for Python3.3?

dieter 03-02-2013 07:08 AM

Re: "No symbol" error using pystack gdb macro

debby@josesmex.com writes:

> I'm relatively new to Python, running Python 3.3 on FreeBSD
>
> I have a process which has started to spike CPU usage. I'm trying to find out what it's doing.
>
> I tried the "pystack" macro suggested here:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1.../147114#147114
>
> I got the gdbinit macro from:
>
> http://svn.python.org/projects/pytho...k/Misc/gdbinit
>
> When I attach gdb, it tells me it is loading symbols from python3.3m
>
> However when I run pystack I get:
>
> No symbol "PyStringObject" in current context.
>
> Do I need an updated version of the gdb macro for Python3.3?

Many system installed Python versions (all, I have seen so far)
are "stripped", i.e. they lack debugging information.
Such information is necessary in order to use the gdb macros
effectively.

I suggest you install and compile your Python yourself.
Likely, the generated Python will have debugging symbols without
(manual) intervention. If not, the installation instructions should
tell you how to get a Python with debugging symbols.