Velocity Reviews

-   -   Android VOIP client RTP ports (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t958011-android-voip-client-rtp-ports.html)

Theo Markettos 02-24-2013 03:32 PM

Android VOIP client RTP ports

I'm trying to set up router quality of service for the Android 2.3 native
VOIP client, which is talking to Voipgain (a Betamax brand) as the SIP
server.

I've set up QoS for TCP port 5060 (the SIP control channel) but what I
really want is to do it for the RTP audio traffic. When I go into settings
on the phone it says only:

Port number: 5060
Transport type: UDP

but no details of what happens to RTP. How do I find out which ports it's
going to use. Or does this mean that all the RTP traffic goes through UDP
port 5060?

I'd also like to do the same for Betamax's MobileVOIP app, but I can't see
to find any SIP port information on that either.

Should I just prioritise all UDP traffic from my phone?

Thanks
Theo

David Woolley 02-24-2013 04:52 PM

Re: Android VOIP client RTP ports

Theo Markettos wrote:

> I've set up QoS for TCP port 5060 (the SIP control channel) but what I

Not much use, given:

> Transport type: UDP
>
> but no details of what happens to RTP. How do I find out which ports it's
> going to use. Or does this mean that all the RTP traffic goes through UDP
> port 5060?

The outbound RTP uses the ports specified by your ITSP, in the SDP in
their INVITE or ACK, for inbound calls, and in their 200 OK, for
outbound calls. It can be almost any number, except 5060 (given the SIP
setting quoted above), although it would normally by at least 1024.

> I'd also like to do the same for Betamax's MobileVOIP app, but I can't see
> to find any SIP port information on that either.
>
> Should I just prioritise all UDP traffic from my phone?

That might be easiest.

Theo Markettos 02-27-2013 01:15 AM

In comp.mobile.android alexd <troffasky@hotmail.com> wrote:
> David Woolley (for it is he) wrote:
>
> > The outbound RTP uses the ports specified by your ITSP, in the SDP in
> > their INVITE or ACK, for inbound calls, and in their 200 OK, for
> > outbound calls.

> Given that, your router could in theory look at which ports are proposed
> for the media stream, and prioritise them accordingly.

In theory. In practice, my router isn't that bright.
(and there's not much you can do in 4MB flash)

I've tried prioritising UDP 9000-65534 and it keeps going on a UK call while
killing the bandwidth with torrents. But Voipgain's outbound voice is still
dire when calling a Greek mobile (quiet, broken audio) so I'm not sure if
it's my network or their termination provider is just terrible.

(I once got a 'your balance has expired, please topup' message from their
termination provider - so maybe they just run it in a phone box with a giant
stack of calling cards...)

Theo

David Woolley 02-27-2013 08:03 AM

Theo Markettos wrote:

> In theory. In practice, my router isn't that bright.
> (and there's not much you can do in 4MB flash)

There's actually an awful lot you can do in 4MB, even if modern software
can't!

> I've tried prioritising UDP 9000-65534 and it keeps going on a UK call while
> killing the bandwidth with torrents. But Voipgain's outbound voice is still

The normal way of doing this on an intranet would be to have the sending
device set TOS=ef (expedited flow) and have the routers prioritise on
that. Obviously, once you get beyond your own routers, there is scope
to abuse this.