Velocity Reviews

-   -   Nikon D5000 - how to make the darn thing STAY on center focused? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957919-nikon-d5000-how-to-make-the-darn-thing-stay-on-center-focused.html)

Joe Mastroianni 02-22-2013 07:39 AM

Nikon D5000 - how to make the darn thing STAY on center focused?

I want the Nikon D5000 to STAY on spot focus center focus.
But, every time I set it to center spot focus, it only stays that way
until I turn the camera off.

What am I doing wrong?

Tony Cooper 02-22-2013 12:45 PM

Re: Nikon D5000 - how to make the darn thing STAY on center focused?

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 07:39:10 +0000 (UTC), Joe Mastroianni
<jdm@coohoo.com> wrote:

>I want the Nikon D5000 to STAY on spot focus center focus.
>But, every time I set it to center spot focus, it only stays that way
>until I turn the camera off.
>
>What am I doing wrong?

The same thing that the rest of us are doing "wrong". It doesn't work
the way you want. For anyone.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Joe Mastroianni 02-22-2013 05:03 PM

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 07:45:08 -0500, Tony Cooper wrote:

> It doesn't work the way you want.

Geez Louise! Are you serious? (Thanks for helping me ... I'm just
incredulous!).

You mean I can't set my Nikon SLR to be center focused and STAY that way?

What's the logic in that?

me 02-22-2013 10:19 PM

Re: Nikon D5000 - how to make the darn thing STAY on center focused?

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 09:47:45 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>Next, being able to move from focus point to focus point is a useful
>feature, and using the "OK" button to return to the center focus point
>is another feature. However, your major issue is, you chose to buy a
>DSLR at a bargain price, without the feature set and capability found
>on some of the more costly and feature rich Nikon offerings. With my
>D300S for example all I would need to do is to select the focus point I
>want and move the "lock" (usually found outside the multi-selector on
>those feature rich Nikon DSLRs, not available on your D5000) and set it
>to "Lock". The focus point will not move until I unlock it.

But you really don't even need to use the lock. Your D300s will stay
on whatever point you set prior to turning it off. Of course the lock
stops you from being able to move it by (inadvertently) touching the
selector.

Don Wiss 02-22-2013 11:27 PM

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-02-22 09:03:04 -0800, Joe Mastroianni <jdm@coohoo.com> said:
>> What's the logic in that?

>The same logic in complaining without reading your manual. Just
>remember, there is a reason the D5000 can be had for $360. You pay for
>features.

It is called product differentiation, and Nikon is a pro at pulling it off.

Take their J1 and V1 mirrorless cameras. They put a lot of thought into
making sure that they have no appeal to the DSLR customers, and would only
appeal to P&S upgraders. (Sensor too small, multiple colors a selling
point, etc.)

I'm dumping Nikon and going with a m4/3 camera. It is a standard, and you
can mix and match lenses from different vendors. As more vendors join there
will be more price and feature competition.

The one I bought is the Panasonic GH3. Consumer Reports just came out with
a camera report. And the GH3 is their top DSLR-like, and is one point
higher than the top ranked DSLR.

With your D5000 glass is heavy, and you don't get much in the way of
telephoto.

Don Wiss 02-22-2013 11:29 PM

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:19:11 -0500, me <me@mine.net> wrote:

>But you really don't even need to use the lock. Your D300s will stay
>on whatever point you set prior to turning it off. Of course the lock
>stops you from being able to move it by (inadvertently) touching the
>selector.

If you use you left eye, you can very easily hit the selector dial with
your nose. The lock is needed.

Joe Mastroianni 02-22-2013 11:54 PM

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 09:47:45 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

> Next, being able to move from focus point to focus point is a useful
> feature, and using the "OK" button to return to the center focus point
> is another feature.

I didn't know about this feature so it might be used as a workaround.
Thanks.

Joe Mastroianni 02-22-2013 11:58 PM

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 15:31:16 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

> If he wants to stick with his D5000 and not bother with re-centering
> with the "OK" button, all he needs to do is just get rid of the focus
> points altogether and select the "Auto-area" AF-area mode.

I've found all the focus methods lacking other than plain and
simple center focus.

My 1:2:3 methodology is simple (KISS):
0. I let the camera do the exposure metering
1. I focus on the subject (half press)
2. I compose the picture (pressing to keep the subject in focus)
3. I count (if human) to give them time to smile

A good percentage of the time, the auto-focus picks the wrong
subject to focus on, especially for mechanical objects.

Joe Mastroianni 02-23-2013 04:57 AM

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 16:50:42 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

> Rather than the old trick of pre-focusing, AF lock ,
> and reframe. Just move the focus point to cover your subject wherever
> you want it in the frame and shoot. Then push that "OK" button to
> recenter.

I'll try that new technique.

Although, it certainly is more comfortable to just focus,
then compose ... rather than compose and then focus.

David Taylor 02-23-2013 07:26 AM

Re: Nikon D5000 - how to make the darn thing STAY on center focused?

On 22/02/2013 23:27, Don Wiss wrote:
[]
> I'm dumping Nikon and going with a m4/3 camera. It is a standard, and you
> can mix and match lenses from different vendors. As more vendors join there
> will be more price and feature competition.
>
> The one I bought is the Panasonic GH3. Consumer Reports just came out with
> a camera report. And the GH3 is their top DSLR-like, and is one point
> higher than the top ranked DSLR.
>
> With your D5000 glass is heavy, and you don't get much in the way of
> telephoto.
>
> Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I found that 4/3 was not /than/ much smaller and lighter than my D5000,
and it was more expensive than I wanted to pay, so I got a "bridge"
camera to complement my D5000. I went for the Sony HX200V, which has a
zoom range of 27 - 810 mm (equivalent).

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony...ot-dsc-hx200v/

Been quite pleased with it so far, and I've kept the DSLR for when it's
really needed (not very often so far!).
--
Cheers,
David