Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Night vision equipment (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957843-re-night-vision-equipment.html)

Michael Black 02-20-2013 10:58 PM

Re: Night vision equipment

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013, Alfred Molon wrote:

> Just curious: I would imagine that these units contain monochrome
> sensors with large pixels and due to the high-ISO race of the past
> years, current DSLR sensors shouldn't be noisier. Or does military grade
> night vision equipment contain sensors which are less noisy than current
> DSLR sensors?
> Or is perhaps the image processing software which makes the difference?

I haven't a clue, but you do realize that night vision scopes are old?

I remember reading about them in Popular Science or Popular Mechanics in
the sixties, when the magazines were still their smaller size.

I can't remember what was involved back then, but you could even buy the
needed tubes on the surplus market.

So either they are still analog, or they've moved to something digital,
but the concept doesn't have to be digital.

Michael