Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Information (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f41-computer-information.html)
-   -   PDF to DOC? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957817-pdf-to-doc.html)

Robert Baer 02-20-2013 05:13 AM

PDF to DOC?
 
I used the baby bird (GooGull) for converters / software.
NONE WORK.
Class #1: download zip/exe and crashes as DLL is missing.
Class #2: download zip/exe and crashes as NOT a 32-bit app.
Class #3: download, during setup it complains about IE must be 6 or
better - WTF about ****y IE? In any case IE6 download does not work.
Class #4A: submit file for conversion, result is pure garbage in Nerd.
Class #4B: submit file for conversion, takes forever (gave up after
15 MINUTES!).

Dammit all to hell, i need to edit a PDF!!
My Acrobat 4 reader/writer complains on trying to edit a line of text
"Touchup could not parse this page".

_WORKABLE_ ideas anyone?


VanguardLH 02-20-2013 08:42 PM

Re: PDF to DOC?
 
Robert Baer wrote:

> i need to edit a PDF!! My Acrobat 4 reader/writer complains on trying
> to edit a line of text "Touchup could not parse this page".


You could try http://www.pdftoword.com/. Then you don't have to install
any software. However, they may also fail since it looks like your .pdf
is corrupted.

Robert Baer 02-21-2013 01:44 AM

Re: PDF to DOC?
 
VanguardLH wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>
>> i need to edit a PDF!! My Acrobat 4 reader/writer complains on trying
>> to edit a line of text "Touchup could not parse this page".

>
> You could try http://www.pdftoword.com/. Then you don't have to install
> any software. However, they may also fail since it looks like your .pdf
> is corrupted.

I do not remember if i tried that one or not; if it is in the first
10 "hits" at the Baby Bird (GooGull), then i did.
Every online "converter" where you upload your PDF and they either
send the DOC to your e-mail or have it for download sent pure garbage
back - some that was crudely formatted the same way but almost blank;
all had ranDumb characters.
Adobe Acrobat 4.0, 6.0 and 7.0 ALL view the file perfectly OK and
print it OK as well - so it cannot be corrupted.
I need to revise the numbers in it.


VanguardLH 02-21-2013 04:11 AM

Re: PDF to DOC?
 
Robert Baer wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Robert Baer wrote:
>>
>>> i need to edit a PDF!! My Acrobat 4 reader/writer complains on trying
>>> to edit a line of text "Touchup could not parse this page".

>>
>> You could try http://www.pdftoword.com/. Then you don't have to install
>> any software. However, they may also fail since it looks like your .pdf
>> is corrupted.

>
> I do not remember if i tried that one or not; if it is in the first
> 10 "hits" at the Baby Bird (GooGull), then i did. Every online
> "converter" where you upload your PDF and they either send the DOC to
> your e-mail or have it for download sent pure garbage back - some
> that was crudely formatted the same way but almost blank; all had
> ranDumb characters.


So you'll never know (and neither will we) if the Nitro PDF to Doc
converter will work because you don't know if you tried it and won't try
it.

> Adobe Acrobat 4.0, 6.0 and 7.0 ALL view the file perfectly OK and
> print it OK as well - so it cannot be corrupted.
> I need to revise the numbers in it.


You said you got a "Touchup could not parse this page" error when you
attempted to modify the .pdf document. It may render as it is currently
but if any change causes corruption then something about its structure
doesn't jive with what Acrobat expects (and, to me, that means
corruption despite the current doc will view okay).

Robert Baer 02-21-2013 07:13 AM

Re: PDF to DOC?
 
VanguardLH wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> Robert Baer wrote:
>>>
>>>> i need to edit a PDF!! My Acrobat 4 reader/writer complains on trying
>>>> to edit a line of text "Touchup could not parse this page".
>>>
>>> You could try http://www.pdftoword.com/. Then you don't have to install
>>> any software. However, they may also fail since it looks like your .pdf
>>> is corrupted.

>>
>> I do not remember if i tried that one or not; if it is in the first
>> 10 "hits" at the Baby Bird (GooGull), then i did. Every online
>> "converter" where you upload your PDF and they either send the DOC to
>> your e-mail or have it for download sent pure garbage back - some
>> that was crudely formatted the same way but almost blank; all had
>> ranDumb characters.

>
> So you'll never know (and neither will we) if the Nitro PDF to Doc
> converter will work because you don't know if you tried it and won't try
> it.
>
>> Adobe Acrobat 4.0, 6.0 and 7.0 ALL view the file perfectly OK and
>> print it OK as well - so it cannot be corrupted.
>> I need to revise the numbers in it.

>
> You said you got a "Touchup could not parse this page" error when you
> attempted to modify the .pdf document. It may render as it is currently
> but if any change causes corruption then something about its structure
> doesn't jive with what Acrobat expects (and, to me, that means
> corruption despite the current doc will view okay).

I did try Nitro and that was the worst in giving garbage characters
and in random places all over each page; did not recognize that URL as
being the Nitro "converter".
The document i am trying to alter started as an IRS "fillable" PDF
which i filled out and either saved or savedAS (seems to make a difference).
I do know the result has a different name but that does not prove i
used savedAS for the new name; i had carefully ZIPped the originals
before use.


VanguardLH 02-21-2013 08:35 AM

Re: PDF to DOC?
 
Robert Baer wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Robert Baer wrote:
>>
>>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>>
>>>> Robert Baer wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> i need to edit a PDF!! My Acrobat 4 reader/writer complains on
>>>>> trying to edit a line of text "Touchup could not parse this
>>>>> page".
>>>>
>>>> You could try http://www.pdftoword.com/.
>>>
>>> I do not remember if i tried that one or not ...

>>
>> So you'll never know (and neither will we) if the Nitro PDF to Doc
>> converter will work ...

>
> I did try Nitro and that was the worst in giving garbage characters
> and in random places all over each page ...
> The document i am trying to alter started as an IRS "fillable" PDF ...


Some of the IRS docs in PDF use Javascript in them (to validate input
from the user is the type expected in the field. I've never bothered
with scripted PDFs before so I don't know if trying to edit one would
cause the problem you describe.

Can you open the PDF, print it using a PDF printer (i.e., PDFcreator,
BullZip PDF Printer, CutePDF) and then edit that .pdf output file with
Acrobat? I don't know if Acrobat has a "Print to .pdf" feature (versus
a Save [As] dialog) but at this point I'd try something other than
Acrobat to "print [to file]" the contents of the .pdf document.

Robert Baer 02-21-2013 07:57 PM

Re: PDF to DOC?
 
Robert Baer wrote:
> I used the baby bird (GooGull) for converters / software.
> NONE WORK.
> Class #1: download zip/exe and crashes as DLL is missing.
> Class #2: download zip/exe and crashes as NOT a 32-bit app.
> Class #3: download, during setup it complains about IE must be 6 or
> better - WTF about ****y IE? In any case IE6 download does not work.
> Class #4A: submit file for conversion, result is pure garbage in Nerd.
> Class #4B: submit file for conversion, takes forever (gave up after 15
> MINUTES!).
>
> Dammit all to hell, i need to edit a PDF!!
> My Acrobat 4 reader/writer complains on trying to edit a line of text
> "Touchup could not parse this page".
>
> _WORKABLE_ ideas anyone?
>

What i have done:
Used Acrobat 4.0 to load and look at the file, then printed using a
postscript printer driver,to a file.
That file looks perfectly OK.
CorelDraw sees the original PDF and that PS file perfectly OK so the
file cannot be corrupt.
Will use CorelDraw for patching the numbers.
Dunno why i had not thought of using CorelDraw before.
Thanks.



Robert Baer 02-21-2013 08:22 PM

Re: PDF to DOC?
 
Robert Baer wrote:
> I used the baby bird (GooGull) for converters / software.
> NONE WORK.
> Class #1: download zip/exe and crashes as DLL is missing.
> Class #2: download zip/exe and crashes as NOT a 32-bit app.
> Class #3: download, during setup it complains about IE must be 6 or
> better - WTF about ****y IE? In any case IE6 download does not work.
> Class #4A: submit file for conversion, result is pure garbage in Nerd.
> Class #4B: submit file for conversion, takes forever (gave up after 15
> MINUTES!).
>
> Dammit all to hell, i need to edit a PDF!!
> My Acrobat 4 reader/writer complains on trying to edit a line of text
> "Touchup could not parse this page".
>
> _WORKABLE_ ideas anyone?
>

Inkscape does not work: "The procedure entry point freeadrinfo could
not be located in the dynamic link library WS2_32.dll.".


Paul 02-21-2013 08:50 PM

Re: PDF to DOC?
 
Robert Baer wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>> I used the baby bird (GooGull) for converters / software.
>> NONE WORK.
>> Class #1: download zip/exe and crashes as DLL is missing.
>> Class #2: download zip/exe and crashes as NOT a 32-bit app.
>> Class #3: download, during setup it complains about IE must be 6 or
>> better - WTF about ****y IE? In any case IE6 download does not work.
>> Class #4A: submit file for conversion, result is pure garbage in Nerd.
>> Class #4B: submit file for conversion, takes forever (gave up after 15
>> MINUTES!).
>>
>> Dammit all to hell, i need to edit a PDF!!
>> My Acrobat 4 reader/writer complains on trying to edit a line of text
>> "Touchup could not parse this page".
>>
>> _WORKABLE_ ideas anyone?
>>

> What i have done:
> Used Acrobat 4.0 to load and look at the file, then printed using a
> postscript printer driver,to a file.
> That file looks perfectly OK.
> CorelDraw sees the original PDF and that PS file perfectly OK so the
> file cannot be corrupt.
> Will use CorelDraw for patching the numbers.
> Dunno why i had not thought of using CorelDraw before.
> Thanks.
>
>


The (very expensive) version of CorelDraw I bought years ago,
was their very first to support editing of that type. It turned out,
the CorelDraw code uses an older version of GDI with a 64K object
limit. Which promptly resulted in a CorelDraw crash on the very
first (and last) attempt to edit.

So good luck with that.

I use GhostScript on occasion, to work magic on files like
that. But these tools, when they offer to do "down-revision"
transformations, they don't really do that. If I were to run
pstopdf3 on a PDF file, to make another PDF file, I don't
think the constructs inside are really transformed into
compatible code or anything.

*******

Perhaps you could give a pointer to the original PDF file,
just for fun. I can then type some crap into it, save it
(as if I was filling out my taxes), then see what is possible.

Are you trying to drag this into Microsoft Word ? And if so,
what part of the original document absolutely must be saved ?
Just the text ? Formatting and boxes as well ? It's not likely
to all translate. You would end up with a poor facsimile
of the original.

As for IE6, many eons ago, I took a snapshot of some temporary
directory during an IE6 installation. And that folder of
stuff, functions now as a stand alone installer. If I need to install
IE6 on Win2K SP4 for example, I can use that to get the job done.
Originally, the IE6 installer was a "stub" with no files. But
by keeping the temp directory from the first install, I can
redo it (without calling Microsoft) at a later date.

Not that IE6 is of much usage or anything.

Paul

Robert Baer 02-23-2013 03:58 AM

Re: PDF to DOC?
 
Paul wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>> Robert Baer wrote:
>>> I used the baby bird (GooGull) for converters / software.
>>> NONE WORK.
>>> Class #1: download zip/exe and crashes as DLL is missing.
>>> Class #2: download zip/exe and crashes as NOT a 32-bit app.
>>> Class #3: download, during setup it complains about IE must be 6 or
>>> better - WTF about ****y IE? In any case IE6 download does not work.
>>> Class #4A: submit file for conversion, result is pure garbage in Nerd.
>>> Class #4B: submit file for conversion, takes forever (gave up after 15
>>> MINUTES!).
>>>
>>> Dammit all to hell, i need to edit a PDF!!
>>> My Acrobat 4 reader/writer complains on trying to edit a line of text
>>> "Touchup could not parse this page".
>>>
>>> _WORKABLE_ ideas anyone?
>>>

>> What i have done:
>> Used Acrobat 4.0 to load and look at the file, then printed using a
>> postscript printer driver,to a file.
>> That file looks perfectly OK.
>> CorelDraw sees the original PDF and that PS file perfectly OK so the
>> file cannot be corrupt.
>> Will use CorelDraw for patching the numbers.
>> Dunno why i had not thought of using CorelDraw before.
>> Thanks.
>>
>>

>
> The (very expensive) version of CorelDraw I bought years ago,
> was their very first to support editing of that type. It turned out,
> the CorelDraw code uses an older version of GDI with a 64K object
> limit. Which promptly resulted in a CorelDraw crash on the very
> first (and last) attempt to edit.
>
> So good luck with that.

* What i did was brought in a .PS version, and it shows as a graphic; i
can overlay anything without fuss.
I only had to break apart the overlaid pages into separate sheets.

>
> I use GhostScript on occasion, to work magic on files like
> that. But these tools, when they offer to do "down-revision"
> transformations, they don't really do that. If I were to run
> pstopdf3 on a PDF file, to make another PDF file, I don't
> think the constructs inside are really transformed into
> compatible code or anything.

* Check; GhostScript was not useful.

>
> *******
>
> Perhaps you could give a pointer to the original PDF file,
> just for fun. I can then type some crap into it, save it
> (as if I was filling out my taxes), then see what is possible.
>
> Are you trying to drag this into Microsoft Word ? And if so,
> what part of the original document absolutely must be saved ?
> Just the text ? Formatting and boxes as well ? It's not likely
> to all translate. You would end up with a poor facsimile
> of the original.

* I only thought of Word because of the numbers (text).
What i have is an "original" 1065 PDF made out by a lawyer who knows
everything and makes no mistakes.
His mis-allocation of money paid to me, which was actually a return
of an investment was itemized as EMPLOYMENT INCOME and so i was forced
to pay income tax on it (****ed me off no end; arguing got me nowhere).
As a further indication of his ignorance, he explicitly stated that
FICA filing was not needed.
Say what? Social Security and Medicare taxes are always due on
employment income.
That was a year ago; i was so ****ed that i said F* it and paid the tax.
Now another 1065 pops up, fortunately a loss.
The 1065 instructions are not exactly clear in some places (so what
else is new with IRS stuff?), but i found 3 (alternate) ways of filling
it out for zer0 employment income.
One way got tossed on further research on short order, and a second
way did not look overall viable.
The last one has the added benefit of reduced income to the company.
Have my tax lady look at it for an amended filing.
Meanwhile i am going to file a 14157 complaint.

>
> As for IE6, many eons ago, I took a snapshot of some temporary
> directory during an IE6 installation. And that folder of
> stuff, functions now as a stand alone installer. If I need to install
> IE6 on Win2K SP4 for example, I can use that to get the job done.
> Originally, the IE6 installer was a "stub" with no files. But
> by keeping the temp directory from the first install, I can
> redo it (without calling Microsoft) at a later date.

* Cool! Is it possible that (assuming i get those files) i could
install IE6 - WITHOUT interfering with IE5?
That way i can test web code on IE5, 6, 7, 6, and 9.

>
> Not that IE6 is of much usage or anything.
>
> Paul




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.