Velocity Reviews

-   -   Contax IIIa service. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957772-contax-iiia-service.html)

Peter Jason 02-19-2013 03:37 AM

Contax IIIa service.

I have a family Contax IIIa that is little used,
though the focus mechanism is gummed up with
original grease (1950s). Should I unscrew the
little tiny screws to get inside and clean out the
mechanism and re grease, or is there some local
fixit shop to do the job. The ones I tried in
town won't touch it. The focal plane shutter
works OK but the light meter is stuffed.
Peter

Polly the Parrott 02-19-2013 09:11 PM

Re: Contax IIIa service.

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 14:37:35 +1100, Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:

>I have a family Contax IIIa that is little used,
>though the focus mechanism is gummed up with
>original grease (1950s). Should I unscrew the
>little tiny screws to get inside and clean out the
>mechanism and re grease, or is there some local
>fixit shop to do the job. The ones I tried in
>town won't touch it. The focal plane shutter
>works OK but the light meter is stuffed.
>Peter

Kyocera in Japan may be your last resort; they said that they can
service my RX and AX, but parts are getting scarce.

Good luck!

Peter Jason 02-19-2013 11:00 PM

Re: Contax IIIa service.

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 08:11:11 +1100, Polly the
Parrott <flatulantdingo@deadspam.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 14:37:35 +1100, Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a family Contax IIIa that is little used,
>>though the focus mechanism is gummed up with
>>original grease (1950s). Should I unscrew the
>>little tiny screws to get inside and clean out the
>>mechanism and re grease, or is there some local
>>fixit shop to do the job. The ones I tried in
>>town won't touch it. The focal plane shutter
>>works OK but the light meter is stuffed.
>>Peter

>Kyocera in Japan may be your last resort; they said that they can
>service my RX and AX, but parts are getting scarce.
>
>Good luck!

Thanks I'll check this out. It shouldn't need
parts because it has been so rarely used. I can
always use an external light meter.

Also, this link came up too
http://www.zeissikonrolleirepair.com/contact.html
Do have any experience here?

Polly the Parrott 02-20-2013 12:58 AM

Re: Contax IIIa service.

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:00:51 +1100, Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 08:11:11 +1100, Polly the
>Parrott <flatulantdingo@deadspam.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 14:37:35 +1100, Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a family Contax IIIa that is little used,
>>>though the focus mechanism is gummed up with
>>>original grease (1950s). Should I unscrew the
>>>little tiny screws to get inside and clean out the
>>>mechanism and re grease, or is there some local
>>>fixit shop to do the job. The ones I tried in
>>>town won't touch it. The focal plane shutter
>>>works OK but the light meter is stuffed.
>>>Peter

>>Kyocera in Japan may be your last resort; they said that they can
>>service my RX and AX, but parts are getting scarce.
>>
>>Good luck!

>Thanks I'll check this out. It shouldn't need
>parts because it has been so rarely used. I can
>always use an external light meter.
>
>Also, this link came up too
>http://www.zeissikonrolleirepair.com/contact.html
>Do have any experience here?

I am in Australia, so Japan is much closer to me.

However that link rings a bell; many years ago I believe it came up
on a photography ng and was recommended, but can't verify this.

philo  02-20-2013 04:16 PM

Re: Contax IIIa service.

On 02/20/2013 08:07 AM, Scott Schuckert wrote:
> In article <jeq7i8dgjgs092alinfi01fpo7f6cngvpd@4ax.com>, Polly the
> Parrott <flatulantdingo@deadspam.com> wrote:
>
>> Kyocera in Japan may be your last resort; they said that they can
>> service my RX and AX, but parts are getting scarce.

> Sorry to disagree, but I doubt Kyocera will be of any help. They had
> nothing to do with the German made Contax of the 40's and 50's, other
> than using the name and buying some lenses from Zeiss. What you'll be
> looking for is a stateside "craftsman" repair service, like the one
> linked in a previous response.

About ten years ago I had my Contax repaired by a place in Chicago.

It *might* have been this one...

However, the Chicago area may be the best bet in setting your "Google"
search

--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686

Peter Jason 02-20-2013 11:17 PM

Re: Contax IIIa service.

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 09:07:43 -0500, Scott
Schuckert <not@aol.com> wrote:

>In article <jeq7i8dgjgs092alinfi01fpo7f6cngvpd@4ax.com>, Polly the
>Parrott <flatulantdingo@deadspam.com> wrote:
>
>> Kyocera in Japan may be your last resort; they said that they can
>> service my RX and AX, but parts are getting scarce.

>Sorry to disagree, but I doubt Kyocera will be of any help. They had
>nothing to do with the German made Contax of the 40's and 50's, other
>than using the name and buying some lenses from Zeiss. What you'll be
>looking for is a stateside "craftsman" repair service, like the one
>linked in a previous response.

Correct. Kyocera replied and they don't fix the
Cantax vintage cameras.

Polly the Parrott 02-20-2013 11:52 PM

Re: Contax IIIa service.

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 10:17:43 +1100, Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 09:07:43 -0500, Scott
>Schuckert <not@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <jeq7i8dgjgs092alinfi01fpo7f6cngvpd@4ax.com>, Polly the
>>Parrott <flatulantdingo@deadspam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Kyocera in Japan may be your last resort; they said that they can
>>> service my RX and AX, but parts are getting scarce.

>>Sorry to disagree, but I doubt Kyocera will be of any help. They had
>>nothing to do with the German made Contax of the 40's and 50's, other
>>than using the name and buying some lenses from Zeiss. What you'll be
>>looking for is a stateside "craftsman" repair service, like the one
>>linked in a previous response.

>Correct. Kyocera replied and they don't fix the
>Cantax vintage cameras.

Apologies, I should have read the subject matter more closely.