Velocity Reviews

-   -   OT Wireless phone (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957763-ot-wireless-phone.html)

Gib Bogle 02-18-2013 09:37 PM

OT Wireless phone

We have been using a Panasonic 2.4 GHz Digital Gigarange device for
several years, it's always worked well. Recently people have started to
complain that the sound at the other end is breaking up. The batteries
are fresh. Any ideas about what might be the cause? Naively I tend to
think of this sort of electronics lasting forever, but maybe something
ages. Capacitors?

Dave Doe 02-18-2013 10:54 PM

Re: OT Wireless phone

In article <kfu6tr$1uv$1@speranza.aioe.org>, g.bogle@auckland.ac.nz, Gib
Bogle says...

> We have been using a Panasonic 2.4 GHz Digital Gigarange device for
> several years, it's always worked well. Recently people have started to
> complain that the sound at the other end is breaking up. The batteries
> are fresh. Any ideas about what might be the cause? Naively I tend to
> think of this sort of electronics lasting forever, but maybe something
> ages. Capacitors?

Sure, it could be some pretty average caps breaking down a bit. But
could possibly be the wireless channel it's on - with the increasing
numbers of wireless devices within range. So rule out the wireless
interference by changing channels, if that's an option, on your phone
system (base and all phones).

BTW, how much did replacement batteries cost? My cheapo Uniden set
needs new batteries (they're small and they recommend replacing them
every year), and they're a ripoff in NZ. One third the price in Aus.

--
Duncan.

Gib Bogle 02-18-2013 11:44 PM

Re: OT Wireless phone

On 19/02/2013 11:54 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <kfu6tr$1uv$1@speranza.aioe.org>, g.bogle@auckland.ac.nz, Gib
> Bogle says...
>>
>> We have been using a Panasonic 2.4 GHz Digital Gigarange device for
>> several years, it's always worked well. Recently people have started to
>> complain that the sound at the other end is breaking up. The batteries
>> are fresh. Any ideas about what might be the cause? Naively I tend to
>> think of this sort of electronics lasting forever, but maybe something
>> ages. Capacitors?

> Sure, it could be some pretty average caps breaking down a bit. But
> could possibly be the wireless channel it's on - with the increasing
> numbers of wireless devices within range. So rule out the wireless
> interference by changing channels, if that's an option, on your phone
> system (base and all phones).
>
> BTW, how much did replacement batteries cost? My cheapo Uniden set
> needs new batteries (they're small and they recommend replacing them
> every year), and they're a ripoff in NZ. One third the price in Aus.

Thanks for the suggestion re. channel - will test this.

I didn't buy Panasonic batteries, I bought from a supplier in Chch, if I
recall correctly, for about half the price (sorry, hazy memory and I
don't seem to have kept a record). The batteries are Cameron Sino, and
are nominally the same energy capacity as the Panasonic, but who knows
if they are really equivalent?

Dave Doe 02-18-2013 11:52 PM

Re: OT Wireless phone

In article <kfubvu$4hu$1@dont-email.me>,
bruce.sinclair@NOSPAMORELSEagresearch.NOTco.NOTnz, Bruce Sinclair
says...

> In article <MPG.2b8d7848bbb940a9899fc@news.eternal-september.org>, Dave Doe <hard@work.ok> wrote:
> (snip)
>
> >BTW, how much did replacement batteries cost? My cheapo Uniden set
> >needs new batteries (they're small and they recommend replacing them
> >every year), and they're a ripoff in NZ. One third the price in Aus.

> Only buy wireless phones that take "ordinary" batteries. I refused to pay
> almost $30 for the 'branded' version replacement battery pack recently, but
> was happy to pay $6 for 3 AAA size tagged cells and solder them together.
> Still working (so *better* than the branded version too :) ).

Lesson belatedly learnt! :)

--
Duncan.

Gib Bogle 02-18-2013 11:57 PM

Re: OT Wireless phone

On 19/02/2013 11:54 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <kfu6tr$1uv$1@speranza.aioe.org>, g.bogle@auckland.ac.nz, Gib
> Bogle says...
>>
>> We have been using a Panasonic 2.4 GHz Digital Gigarange device for
>> several years, it's always worked well. Recently people have started to
>> complain that the sound at the other end is breaking up. The batteries
>> are fresh. Any ideas about what might be the cause? Naively I tend to
>> think of this sort of electronics lasting forever, but maybe something
>> ages. Capacitors?

> Sure, it could be some pretty average caps breaking down a bit. But
> could possibly be the wireless channel it's on - with the increasing
> numbers of wireless devices within range. So rule out the wireless
> interference by changing channels, if that's an option, on your phone
> system (base and all phones).
>
> BTW, how much did replacement batteries cost? My cheapo Uniden set
> needs new batteries (they're small and they recommend replacing them
> every year), and they're a ripoff in NZ. One third the price in Aus.

This device does not allow the channel to be changed.

The manual says this about bad sound quality: We recommend that you
contact your ADSL service provider to have an ADSL Splitter installed.
We do not recommend the use of generic ADSL filters. Contact your ADSL
provider for details.

I think what I have is a splitter. It is a Huawei part, with sockets
for ADSL and Phone, and says on it that it may be connected to the
Telecom network.

Gib Bogle 02-18-2013 11:59 PM

Re: OT Wireless phone

On 19/02/2013 1:04 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <MPG.2b8d7848bbb940a9899fc@news.eternal-september.org>, Dave Doe <hard@work.ok> wrote:
> (snip)
>
>> BTW, how much did replacement batteries cost? My cheapo Uniden set
>> needs new batteries (they're small and they recommend replacing them
>> every year), and they're a ripoff in NZ. One third the price in Aus.

> Only buy wireless phones that take "ordinary" batteries. I refused to pay
> almost $30 for the 'branded' version replacement battery pack recently, but
> was happy to pay $6 for 3 AAA size tagged cells and solder them together.
> Still working (so *better* than the branded version too :) ).

Next time :)

Bruce Sinclair 02-19-2013 12:04 AM

Re: OT Wireless phone

Frank Williams 02-19-2013 12:08 AM

Re: OT Wireless phone

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:37:00 +1300, Gib Bogle <g.bogle@auckland.ac.nz>
wrote:

>We have been using a Panasonic 2.4 GHz Digital Gigarange device for
>several years, it's always worked well. Recently people have started to
>complain that the sound at the other end is breaking up. The batteries
>are fresh. Any ideas about what might be the cause? Naively I tend to
>think of this sort of electronics lasting forever, but maybe something
>ages. Capacitors?

Wrong type of Phone use the same frequency as a Microwave cooker and a
WiFi network.

Go for a 1.8 GHz model.

The 5GHz models also use the same frequency of the new WiFi band.

Frank Williams 02-19-2013 12:11 AM

Re: OT Wireless phone

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 11:54:22 +1300, Dave Doe <hard@work.ok> wrote:

>In article <kfu6tr$1uv$1@speranza.aioe.org>, g.bogle@auckland.ac.nz, Gib
>Bogle says...
>>
>> We have been using a Panasonic 2.4 GHz Digital Gigarange device for
>> several years, it's always worked well. Recently people have started to
>> complain that the sound at the other end is breaking up. The batteries
>> are fresh. Any ideas about what might be the cause? Naively I tend to
>> think of this sort of electronics lasting forever, but maybe something
>> ages. Capacitors?

>Sure, it could be some pretty average caps breaking down a bit. But
>could possibly be the wireless channel it's on - with the increasing
>numbers of wireless devices within range. So rule out the wireless
>interference by changing channels, if that's an option, on your phone
>system (base and all phones).
>
>BTW, how much did replacement batteries cost? My cheapo Uniden set
>needs new batteries (they're small and they recommend replacing them
>every year), and they're a ripoff in NZ. One third the price in Aus.

You don't need at all to replace Rechargeable batteries every year more
like 3 years plus.

Bruce Sinclair 02-19-2013 04:57 AM

Re: OT Wireless phone

In article <kfuf8p$nb4$2@speranza.aioe.org>, g.bogle@too.auckland.much.ac.spam.nz wrote:
>On 19/02/2013 1:04 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article <MPG.2b8d7848bbb940a9899fc@news.eternal-september.org>, Dave Doe

> <hard@work.ok> wrote:
>> (snip)
>>
>>> BTW, how much did replacement batteries cost? My cheapo Uniden set
>>> needs new batteries (they're small and they recommend replacing them
>>> every year), and they're a ripoff in NZ. One third the price in Aus.

>> Only buy wireless phones that take "ordinary" batteries. I refused to pay
>> almost $30 for the 'branded' version replacement battery pack recently, but
>> was happy to pay $6 for 3 AAA size tagged cells and solder them together.
>> Still working (so *better* than the branded version too :) ).

>Next time :)

So often the case. :)
As long as we learn from our mistakes... (and I should hasten to admit, I
was simply *lucky* here, not clever - I only thought ... that battery pack
looks like AAA size *after* it failed :) ).