Velocity Reviews

-   -   Call phone photo file size maximum (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957590-call-phone-photo-file-size-maximum.html)

Steve B 02-14-2013 05:54 AM

Call phone photo file size maximum

My first digital was an Epson, and looked for all the world like any cheap
Kodak box camera. It was around $600, and it was 480 x 640, or something
close. Then I got an Olympus 1.3 mp AF point and shoot. Thought that was
big. Then a 5.1, which is where I'm at now.

My point: Is there a maximum file size for cell phone photos? I have seen
the metamorphosis, and now, I think there's cell phones out there with a lot
more than even my scrawny 1.3mp, which, btw, took some really nice pictures
for what it was, and lasted until SWMBO caused it to have a fatal encounter
with sidewalk concrete.

And the evolution of memory cards.

Why, I remember when they sold 8 mb memory cards...............

Oh, wait. It wasn't that long ago, actually.

What will the cell phone cameras max out at and why?

Steve

DanP 02-14-2013 10:15 AM

Re: Call phone photo file size maximum

On Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:54:45 AM UTC, Steve B wrote:
> My first digital was an Epson, and looked for all the world like any cheap
>
> Kodak box camera. It was around $600, and it was 480 x 640, or something
>
> close. Then I got an Olympus 1.3 mp AF point and shoot. Thought that was
>
> big. Then a 5.1, which is where I'm at now.
>

> My point: Is there a maximum file size for cell phone photos? I have seen
> the metamorphosis, and now, I think there's cell phones out there with a lot
> more than even my scrawny 1.3mp, which, btw, took some really nice pictures
> for what it was, and lasted until SWMBO caused it to have a fatal encounter
> with sidewalk concrete.

If you got the money they have the goods. Is 41 Mpx enough for you? http://www.petapixel.com/2012/02/27/...-camera-phone/

I hate buzzwords like "game changing". And I find high Mpx numbers quite pointless, especially with small sensors. My DSLR camera has only 15 Mpx but I use lower pixel size, keep it sane.

DanP

PeterN 02-14-2013 02:37 PM

On 2/14/2013 5:15 AM, DanP wrote:
> On Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:54:45 AM UTC, Steve B wrote:
>> My first digital was an Epson, and looked for all the world like any cheap
>>
>> Kodak box camera. It was around $600, and it was 480 x 640, or something
>>
>> close. Then I got an Olympus 1.3 mp AF point and shoot. Thought that was
>>
>> big. Then a 5.1, which is where I'm at now.
>>

>> My point: Is there a maximum file size for cell phone photos? I have seen
>> the metamorphosis, and now, I think there's cell phones out there with a lot
>> more than even my scrawny 1.3mp, which, btw, took some really nice pictures
>> for what it was, and lasted until SWMBO caused it to have a fatal encounter
>> with sidewalk concrete.

> If you got the money they have the goods. Is 41 Mpx enough for you? http://www.petapixel.com/2012/02/27/...-camera-phone/
>
> I hate buzzwords like "game changing". And I find high Mpx numbers quite pointless, especially with small sensors. My DSLR camera has only 15 Mpx but I use lower pixel size, keep it sane.

The following quite from the article sums things up, More isn't always
better.

"...The phone also allows you to capture 5-megapixel images by
condensing every seven pixels into one, which dramatically reduces noise
and improves image quality...."

--
PeterN