Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Looks like cellphones are impacting all cameras (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957574-re-looks-like-cellphones-are-impacting-all-cameras.html)

Paul Ciszek 02-13-2013 12:44 PM

Re: Looks like cellphones are impacting all cameras

In article <71e57619-6ed1-446d-b567-0069fd7f8c49@e11g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
>http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/...e-results.html

"Olympus' inventory of cameras grew, which means they weren't able to
sell the product they already made."

Why, then, were OM-D's nearly impossible to get for a while?

--
Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor

PeterN 02-13-2013 09:39 PM

On 2/13/2013 7:44 AM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
> In article <71e57619-6ed1-446d-b567-0069fd7f8c49@e11g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>,
> RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/...e-results.html

> "Olympus' inventory of cameras grew, which means they weren't able to
> sell the product they already made."
>
> Why, then, were OM-D's nearly impossible to get for a while?

Possibly for the same reason the Nikon D800 was hard to get for a while:
I call it creation of demand through creation of artificial shortages.
There is a marketing perception that if something is hard to get, it
must be good.

"Wopw, was I lucky to get my hands on a <fill in the blank> etc.

--
PeterN

RichA 02-13-2013 11:41 PM

On Feb 13, 4:39*pm, PeterN <peter.newnos...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 2/13/2013 7:44 AM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
>
> > In article <71e57619-6ed1-446d-b567-0069fd7f8...@e11g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>,
> > RichA *<rander3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/...e-results.html

> > "Olympus' inventory of cameras grew, which means they weren't able to
> > sell the product they already made."

> > Why, then, were OM-D's nearly impossible to get for a while?

> Possibly for the same reason the Nikon D800 was hard to get for a while:
> I call it creation of demand through creation of artificial shortages.
> There is a marketing perception that if something is hard to get, it
> must be good.
>
> "Wopw, was I lucky to get my hands on a <fill in the blank> *etc.
>
> --
> PeterN

No, it's just that they don't amass hundreds of thousands (like with
cellphones) before release. There are no "days long line-ups" at
camera stores like with phones. They portion out the initial stock to
key dealers and the early adopters (like me with the E-5M) deplete
what they have an a shortage is seen, at least initially.

PeterN 02-14-2013 02:43 PM

On 2/13/2013 6:41 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Feb 13, 4:39 pm, PeterN <peter.newnos...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> On 2/13/2013 7:44 AM, Paul Ciszek wrote:

>>> "Olympus' inventory of cameras grew, which means they weren't able to
>>> sell the product they already made."

>>> Why, then, were OM-D's nearly impossible to get for a while?

>> Possibly for the same reason the Nikon D800 was hard to get for a while:
>> I call it creation of demand through creation of artificial shortages.
>> There is a marketing perception that if something is hard to get, it
>> must be good.
>>
>> "Wopw, was I lucky to get my hands on a <fill in the blank> etc.
>>
>> --
>> PeterN

> No, it's just that they don't amass hundreds of thousands (like with
> cellphones) before release. There are no "days long line-ups" at
> camera stores like with phones. They portion out the initial stock to
> key dealers and the early adopters (like me with the E-5M) deplete
> what they have an a shortage is seen, at least initially.

So what have you said that I didn't?

--
PeterN

RichA 02-15-2013 01:24 AM

On Feb 14, 9:43*am, PeterN <peter.newnos...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 2/13/2013 6:41 PM, RichA wrote:

> >> Possibly for the same reason the Nikon D800 was hard to get for a while:
> >> I call it creation of demand through creation of artificial shortages.
> >> There is a marketing perception that if something is hard to get, it
> >> must be good.

> >> "Wopw, was I lucky to get my hands on a <fill in the blank> *etc.

> >> --
> >> PeterN

> > No, it's just that they don't amass hundreds of thousands (like with
> > cellphones) before release. *There are no "days long line-ups" at
> > camera stores like with phones. *They portion out the initial stock to
> > key dealers and the early adopters (like me with the E-5M) deplete
> > what they have an a shortage is seen, at least initially.

> So what have you said that I didn't?
>
> --
> PeterN

I don't think they create artificial sources.

PeterN 02-15-2013 05:31 PM

On 2/14/2013 8:24 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Feb 14, 9:43 am, PeterN <peter.newnos...@verizon.net> wrote:

>>> No, it's just that they don't amass hundreds of thousands (like with
>>> cellphones) before release. There are no "days long line-ups" at
>>> camera stores like with phones. They portion out the initial stock to
>>> key dealers and the early adopters (like me with the E-5M) deplete
>>> what they have an a shortage is seen, at least initially.

>> So what have you said that I didn't?
>>
>> --
>> PeterN

> I don't think they create artificial sources.

Whoosh!

--
PeterN