Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: [SI] New Mandate: Steeple(s) Due February 10th, 2013 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957437-re-si-new-mandate-steeple-s-due-february-10th-2013-a.html)

Rob 02-09-2013 08:46 AM

On 9/02/2013 7:40 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 20:24:30 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2013-01-09 10:13:19 -0800, Bowser <idont@think.so> said:
>>
>>> Greetings from the great white north. Time for a new mandate for our
>>> beloved shoot-in: Steeple(s). This month's mandate is a simple one
>>> that will force us to all shoot the same subject (essentially). The
>>> challenge is to use light, composition, and other tools, like filters,
>>> to make the subject as interesting as possible. You don't *need* to
>>> resort to trickery, so that's up to you. Sometimes the subject itself
>>> is good enough. And, since some of you may have shot some interesting
>>> steeples during past travels, one archive shot is acceptable for this
>>> mandate, if you so choose.
>>>
>>> Now go forth and shoot. It's what we should all be doing instead of
>>> talking about shooting. :-)
>>>
>>> The gallery will be posted here:
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/steeples
>>>
>>> More info on the shoot-in for noobs:
>>>
>>> It's all described here, in the rulz page:
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
>>> (ignore the date for this mandate in the Rulz page; that will be
>>> changed shortly, if it hasn't already. This mandate is due on Febryary
>>> 10th)
>>>
>>> Where to send them: shootinphotos at gmail dot com
>>>
>>> Briefly: the shoot-in is a monthly exercise where a mandate is posted
>>> here (this NG and rec.photo.digital) and the participants shoot photos
>>> to match the mandate. There are no prizes. This is not a competition.
>>> All we ask is that you do your best to shoot a few pics, submit up to
>>> three of them, and size them properly for the shoot-in. We ask that
>>> you follow these guidlines for photo sizes:
>>>
>>> 1200 pixels wide
>>> 800 pixels high
>>> No larger than 500K file size.
>>>
>>> These are somewhat loose, so don't slavishly follow the photo size
>>> guidelines. Crop your pic to suit the subject, not our guidelines. But
>>> please, no huge files.
>>>
>>> And, after the gallery has been posted, please comment! I don't always
>>> agree with the comments, but they're always constructive (or have been
>>> as of late).

>> Recycled for Eric.

> Many thanks.

And you have a days advantage to get them in.

Robert Coe 02-09-2013 12:23 PM

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 19:46:07 +1100, Rob <mesaminenewsgroup@google.com> wrote:
: On 9/02/2013 7:40 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
: > On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 20:24:30 -0800, Savageduck
: > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
: >
: >> On 2013-01-09 10:13:19 -0800, Bowser <idont@think.so> said:
: >>
: >>> Greetings from the great white north. Time for a new mandate for our
: >>> beloved shoot-in: Steeple(s). This month's mandate is a simple one
: >>> that will force us to all shoot the same subject (essentially). The
: >>> challenge is to use light, composition, and other tools, like filters,
: >>> to make the subject as interesting as possible. You don't *need* to
: >>> resort to trickery, so that's up to you. Sometimes the subject itself
: >>> is good enough. And, since some of you may have shot some interesting
: >>> steeples during past travels, one archive shot is acceptable for this
: >>> mandate, if you so choose.
: >>>
[...]
:
:
: And you have a days advantage to get them in.

So did Martha and I, in a manner of speaking. We're in the middle of an epic
blizzard and are afraid of losing electricity. So we got busy and got our pix
in yesterday! I don't think either of us has ever been that early before. :^)

Snow should stay up in the mountains where it belongs. Cities don't need it.
Eric may be having trouble reading the newsgroups, but at least it's summer
where he is.

Bob

Rob 02-09-2013 10:32 PM

On 10/02/2013 12:58 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-02-09 04:23:28 -0800, Robert Coe <bob@1776.COM> said:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 19:46:07 +1100, Rob <mesaminenewsgroup@google.com>
>> wrote:

> << Le Snip >>
>>
>> : And you have a days advantage to get them in.
>>
>> So did Martha and I, in a manner of speaking. We're in the middle of
>> an epic
>> blizzard and are afraid of losing electricity. So we got busy and got
>> our pix
>> in yesterday! I don't think either of us has ever been that early
>> before. :^)
>>
>> Snow should stay up in the mountains where it belongs. Cities don't
>> need it.
>> Eric may be having trouble reading the newsgroups, but at least it's
>> summer
>> where he is.
>>
>> Bob

> The big question should be; does Bowser have power and a weatherproof
> internet connection?

Of course UPS either way!

Rob 02-09-2013 10:35 PM

On 10/02/2013 8:05 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> [...]
>> : >>
>> : >> Recycled for Eric.
>> : >
>> : > Many thanks.
>> : >
>> :
>> :
>> : And you have a days advantage to get them in.
>>
>> So did Martha and I, in a manner of speaking. We're in the middle of an epic
>> blizzard and are afraid of losing electricity. So we got busy and got our pix
>> in yesterday! I don't think either of us has ever been that early before. :^)
>>
>> Snow should stay up in the mountains where it belongs. Cities don't need it.
>> Eric may be having trouble reading the newsgroups, but at least it's summer
>> where he is.

> At long laast too. For eight months before that its been dank, cold,
> cloudy and windy. I think there were about three days on which I saw

With the constant westerly wind blowing its just smoke haze from all the
bushfires here. All that stuff blows over to your neck of the woods
including all that red dust.

Rob 02-10-2013 12:12 AM

On 10/02/2013 9:50 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-02-09 14:32:43 -0800, Rob <mesaminenewsgroup@google.com> said:

>>> << Le Snip >>

>>> The big question should be; does Bowser have power and a weatherproof
>>> internet connection?
>>>

>> Of course UPS either way!

> My UPS doesn't give me 12-48 hours of power(30-45 minutes at best), or
> in the case of some of the folks recovering from Hurricane Sandy, 2
> weeks, but my Honda EU3000 generator does.
>
> A UPS is no guarantee that an ISP is going to be able to maintain
> service in times of harsh weather of the type currently being
> experienced in the North East. However, since Bowser has posted since I
> posed my question, I guess he is OK for now.

United Postal Service!

Robert Coe 02-10-2013 01:15 AM

Re: [SI] New Mandate: Steeple(s) Due February 10th, 2013

On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 05:58:52 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
wrote:
[...]

He's posted a couple of times this afternoon, so I guess he does. He's closer
to the shore than I am, so there was cause for concern. West of town we got a
lot of snow and some high winds, but at least we didn't have seawater pouring
into our houses.

Bob

Tony Cooper 02-10-2013 01:33 AM

Re: [SI] New Mandate: Steeple(s) Due February 10th, 2013

Well, mine are in. Tough to choose which to submit.

These two didn't make it.

I thought I'd try a black and white:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/49lbywwulz...01-10-06bw.jpg

This one's a bell tower and a steeple with spire:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ob4mzzn8dm...3-01-16-49.jpg

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Rob 02-10-2013 01:59 AM

This one I was thinking of http://www.ups.com

Rob 02-10-2013 02:05 AM

On 10/02/2013 1:02 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-02-09 17:59:02 -0800, Rob <mesaminenewsgroup@google.com> said:

>>> ...and here I am thinking we are talking power loss. ;-)
>>>
>>> If I am not mistaken, other than "Universal Power Supply", the other use
>>> of "UPS" is "United Parcel Service". The postal service over here is the
>>> "United States Postal Service" or "USPS".
>>>
>>> I would note that unless you were shipping a "Flash" memory stick, or
>>> card via "UPS" so that Bowser wouldn't be troubled with having to scan a
>>> print, it would be unlikely to arrive on time, what with air, rail and
>>> road down for the best part of 48 hours. As a matter of fact a print
>>> would probably have the same issues.
>>> ...then we don't have Sunday delivery here for "USPS" or "UPS".
>>>

>> This one I was thinking of http://www.ups.com

> Yup! "United Parcel Service".

So the motto for everyone is "just in time" submit an hour before!

Robert Coe 02-10-2013 03:01 AM

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:05:17 +1100, Rob <mesaminenewsgroup@google.com> wrote:
: On 10/02/2013 1:02 PM, Savageduck wrote:
: > On 2013-02-09 17:59:02 -0800, Rob <mesaminenewsgroup@google.com> said:
: >
: >> On 10/02/2013 12:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:
: >>> On 2013-02-09 16:12:00 -0800, Rob <mesaminenewsgroup@google.com> said:
: >>>
: >>>> On 10/02/2013 9:50 AM, Savageduck wrote:
: >>>>> On 2013-02-09 14:32:43 -0800, Rob <mesaminenewsgroup@google.com> said:
: >>>>>
: >>>>>> On 10/02/2013 12:58 AM, Savageduck wrote:
: >>>>>>> On 2013-02-09 04:23:28 -0800, Robert Coe <bob@1776.COM> said:
: >>>>>>>
: >>>>>>>> On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 19:46:07 +1100, Rob
: >>>>>>>> <mesaminenewsgroup@google.com>
: >>>>>>>> wrote:
: >>>>>>>
: >>>>>>> << Le Snip >>
: >>>>>>>>
[...]
: >>>>>>
: >>>>>> Of course UPS either way!
: >>>>>
: >>>>> My UPS doesn't give me 12-48 hours of power(30-45 minutes at best), or
: >>>>> in the case of some of the folks recovering from Hurricane Sandy, 2
: >>>>> weeks, but my Honda EU3000 generator does.
: >>>>>
: >>>>> A UPS is no guarantee that an ISP is going to be able to maintain
: >>>>> service in times of harsh weather of the type currently being
: >>>>> experienced in the North East. However, since Bowser has posted
: >>>>> since I
: >>>>> posed my question, I guess he is OK for now.
: >>>>>
: >>>>>
: >>>>
: >>>>
: >>>> United Postal Service!
: >>>
[...]

A well entrenched SI tradition if there ever was one.

Bob