Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Micro Four Thirds - What to buy? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957424-re-micro-four-thirds-what-to-buy.html)

David Dyer-Bennet 02-08-2013 05:50 PM

Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> writes:

> A friend of mine is looking to buy a new camera and has asked for my
> comments. I suspect he is mainly interested in a light-weight camera
> for use on his numerous travels and is not a serious amatuer
> photographer. He has written in an email:
>
> "I don't know whether to buy a Panasonic G3 or the more recent G5.
> Price is not an issue, but the G3 is smaller and lighter which is
> good, but the G5 has a sharper LCD screen plus a few more features,
> so. They both get a very even number of marks from me."
>
> ... which gives some idea of what is important to him.
>
> I don't know anything much about this class of camera and would be
> grateful for any helpful comments from those who know them.

Some Olympus body. In-body image stabilization is a wonderful thing,
and many of the best lenses, being made by Olympus don't have in-lens
stabilization. (Plus the huge range of lenses you can adapt don't, but
they all benefit from it with in-body stabilization.)

There are some new cheaper ones with the same sensor as in the OM-D
em-5-spqr or whatever the hell the top model is called.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Paul Ciszek 02-09-2013 10:42 PM

Re: Micro Four Thirds - What to buy?

In article <ylfkobfug0ey.fsf@dd-b.net>,
David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> writes:
>
>> A friend of mine is looking to buy a new camera and has asked for my
>> comments. I suspect he is mainly interested in a light-weight camera
>> for use on his numerous travels and is not a serious amatuer
>> photographer. He has written in an email:
>>
>> "I don't know whether to buy a Panasonic G3 or the more recent G5.
>> Price is not an issue, but the G3 is smaller and lighter which is
>> good, but the G5 has a sharper LCD screen plus a few more features,
>> so. They both get a very even number of marks from me."
>>
>> ... which gives some idea of what is important to him.
>>
>> I don't know anything much about this class of camera and would be
>> grateful for any helpful comments from those who know them.

>Some Olympus body. In-body image stabilization is a wonderful thing,
>and many of the best lenses, being made by Olympus don't have in-lens
>stabilization. (Plus the huge range of lenses you can adapt don't, but
>they all benefit from it with in-body stabilization.)
>
>There are some new cheaper ones with the same sensor as in the OM-D
>em-5-spqr or whatever the hell the top model is called.

The E-PM2 and E-PL5 appear to have the same sensor as the OM-D.
The have IBIS, though it may not be 5-axis like the OM-D. And of course
they take all the same lenses.

--
Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor