Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: OT - Time for the anti-Apple reactionaries to calm down (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957206-re-ot-time-for-the-anti-apple-reactionaries-to-calm-down.html)

DanP 02-02-2013 07:30 AM

On Saturday, February 2, 2013 4:34:06 AM UTC, Savageduck wrote:

> However it was the rabid anti-Apple faction which has decried the
> action Apple took to protect users of Apple OSX from the immediate
> potential Java security issues.

Why people who don't own Apple products complain about them?

DanP

David Taylor 02-02-2013 07:49 AM

Re: OT - Time for the anti-Apple reactionaries to calm down

On 02/02/2013 07:30, DanP wrote:
[]
> Why people who don't own Apple products complain about them?
>

> DanP

Perhaps if their complaints were addressed, they /would/ own Apple products?
--
Cheers,
David

Chris Malcolm 02-02-2013 12:12 PM

Savageduck <savageduck1@{removespam}me.com> wrote:
> On 2013-02-01 23:30:46 -0800, DanP <dan.petre@hotmail.com> said:

>> On Saturday, February 2, 2013 4:34:06 AM UTC, Savageduck wrote:
>>

>>> However it was the rabid anti-Apple faction which has decried the
>>> action Apple took to protect users of Apple OSX from the immediate
>>> potential Java security issues.

>> Why people who don't own Apple products complain about them?

> It beats me.
> I have no idea why people who don't own, or use Apple products, and
> state they have no intention of ever using or buying Apple products
> complain about them.

I know people who don't own a computer who relish being given another
opportunity to complain about them.

--
Chris Malcolm

RichA 02-02-2013 04:00 PM

On Feb 2, 7:38*am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> On 2013-02-02 04:12:17 -0800, Chris Malcolm <c...@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> said:
>

> > Savageduck <savageduck1@{removespam}me.com> wrote:

> >> It beats me.
> >> I have no idea why people who don't own, or use Apple products, and
> >> state they have no intention of ever using or buying Apple products
> >> complain about them.

> > I know people who don't own a computer who relish being given another
> > opportunity to complain about them.

> I guess the same thing goes for folks who hold strong opinions on
> cameras and brands of cameras they have never owned, used, or even
> handled.

Yes, people are surely not allowed to have any opinions on anything
unless they've owned/lived it.

PeterN 02-02-2013 06:29 PM

On 2/2/2013 11:00 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Feb 2, 7:38 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> I guess the same thing goes for folks who hold strong opinions on
>> cameras and brands of cameras they have never owned, used, or even
>> handled.
>>

> Yes, people are surely not allowed to have any opinions on anything
> unless they've owned/lived it.

I like the amazing timing of your response.
It is not the holding of opinions that is objected to, But, rather the
broadcasting of such opinions as fact, without either knowledge of the
facts, or factual support.

--
PeterN

James Silverton 02-02-2013 06:46 PM

On 2/2/2013 11:22 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-02-02 08:00:24 -0800, RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> said:
>
>> On Feb 2, 7:38 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>> On 2013-02-02 04:12:17 -0800, Chris Malcolm <c...@holyrood.ed.ac.uk>
>>> said

>> :

>>> I guess the same thing goes for folks who hold strong opinions on
>>> cameras and brands of cameras they have never owned, used, or even
>>> handled.
>>>

>> Yes, people are surely not allowed to have any opinions on anything
>> unless they've owned/lived it.

> It is not so much holding and expressing opinions, as it is holding
> and expressing those opinions from a prejudiced and uninformed position.
>
> It seems that any nay sayer story mentioning or predicting the demise
> of Apple draws out a boatload of individuals who claim not to have
> ever owned, used, or would ever think of owning an Apple product.
> ...you are a prime example of that in these photo newsgroups.
>
> My questions to you would be;
> Why is it as an avowed non-Apple user, would anything regarding Apple
> be of interest to you?
>
> Why is it that you choose to only post negative Apple reports?
>
> Could it just be Rich trolling for reaction from those of us who
> actually use Apple products and are satisfied with them?

I have both an iPad and a fairly new PC and I use them both. From the
stand point of a PC user, I admire the quality of design in Apple
products tho not to the brown-nosing level of MacWorld. Steve Jobs might
have been something of an SOB but he was good and it will be interesting
to see how Apple's quality is maintained. Still, I don't think I've
seen as large crowds in a computer store as those that I still see in my
local Apple store.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Robert Coe 02-02-2013 09:24 PM

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 08:00:24 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
: On Feb 2, 7:38*am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
: > On 2013-02-02 04:12:17 -0800, Chris Malcolm <c...@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> said:
: >
: >
: >
: >
: >
: >
: >
: >
: >
[...]

Gee, Rich, do you think the Duck meant you to take it personally? ;^)

Bob

Mayayana 02-03-2013 04:10 PM

"Alfred Molon" <alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.2b78a0dcea0c11ff98c958@news.supernews.com ...
| Have you heard the term "Apple tax"? Devote Apple-only families who
| every year or so must upgrade all their Apple gear to the latest &
| greatest model.

I think you mean this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8B911120121210

Mike 02-04-2013 01:38 PM

On 2/2/2013 2:30 AM, DanP wrote:
> On Saturday, February 2, 2013 4:34:06 AM UTC, Savageduck wrote:
>

>> However it was the rabid anti-Apple faction which has decried the
>> action Apple took to protect users of Apple OSX from the immediate
>> potential Java security issues.

> Why people who don't own Apple products complain about them?
>

> DanP

For the same reason people who don't own MS products compain about them???

Ford/Chevy/Mopar fight for the PC world.

Mayayana 02-04-2013 02:48 PM

Re: OT - Time for the anti-Apple reactionaries to calm down

| >> However it was the rabid anti-Apple faction which has decried the
| >> action Apple took to protect users of Apple OSX from the immediate
| >> potential Java security issues.
| >
| > Why people who don't own Apple products complain about them?

| For the same reason people who don't own MS products compain about
them???

For me it's because I have loved ones in the cult
and I can't deprogram them. :)

Also, one just hates to see people get away with
taking advantage of others. I've used Macs. The first
PC I learned on was a Mac. I think they're breathtakingly
beautiful, in some cases. ...And I wouldn't buy one even
if it were offered at 90% off.

I use MS products *and* I complain about them. I
see no reason that I should be devoted to MS just
because I use Windows. MS is not devoted to me.
But in a way I trust MS more: I see the MS motive
as simple, primitive greed, which is somewhat predictable.
I see the Apple motive as a perverse, New Age pseudo
-spirituality (Macs are compared to Zen!) and megolomania...
combined with the usual corporate greed. A greedy person
is more honest with themselves than is someone who
views themselves as an Avatar of Universal Goodness,
spreading God's blessing at full retail.

So the big difference is that using Windows is
generally not an emotional/romantic choice. It's just
a practical choice.

Even though we joke about it, I really don't
think it's going too far to characterize Apple fandom
as a cult, given the irrational, quasi-religious devotion.
Apple does a good job with design, despite the numerous
problems with their products (restrictions, cost, extreme
planned obsolescence), but good design doesn't account
for people standing in long lines for hours just to be the
first in their clique to buy a particular brand of phone.

Nor does it account for the irrational defensiveness. My
favorite example was when Apple discontinued floppy
drives. I read an article that said Jobs could have left
them in for a total cost of $7.50 per overpriced Mac.
I expressed disbelief to friends using Macs. How could
they stand for such outrageous mistreatment?! Every one
of them parroted the Apple party line: Floppies were
outdated and Jobs was brilliant to get rid of them. Yet
for months during that period, Microcenter was advertising
a hot item: USB floppy drives for $100. My Mac-loving
friends all bought USB floppy drives while still maintaining
their defense of Steve Jobs's alleged brilliance. And like
all Apple fans, they viewed my criticism as the sour grapes
of the uninitiated.