Velocity Reviews

-   -   Does the c++ language define the term "type"? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957205-does-the-c-language-define-the-term-type.html)

heideggm@googlemail.com 02-02-2013 02:41 AM

Does the c++ language define the term "type"?

I searched through recent drafts of the ISO/IEC standards for the c++ language and I couldn't find a short, formal definition of the term "type". Is it present somewhere or is the definition so universally known that it simply wasn't deemed necessary?

Bart van Ingen Schenau 02-02-2013 09:48 AM

Re: Does the c++ language define the term "type"?

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 18:41:00 -0800, heideggm wrote:

> I searched through recent drafts of the ISO/IEC standards for the c++
> language and I couldn't find a short, formal definition of the term
> "type". Is it present somewhere or is the definition so universally
> known that it simply wasn't deemed necessary?

Given that there is an entire section devoted to types ([basic.types];
3.9 in C++03), I would go for a third possibility: It was deemed/found to
be impossible to create a succinct, yet accurate, formal definition of
the term "type".

Bart v Ingen Schenau