Velocity Reviews

-   -   slick progress bar (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957197-slick-progress-bar.html)

Roedy Green 02-01-2013 07:12 PM

slick progress bar

I have noticed a few windows apps displaying progress as a moving
green tide on the icon on the task bar. This lets you monitor
progress of a minimised app.

It would be nice if some of Java apps did that.

Is there anything in the Java API that hooks up to it?
is there a jni lib?

here is some info on how it works under .net in Windows 7
http://blogs.windows.com/windows/arc...ress-bars.aspx
time.
~ Tom Cargill Ninety-ninety Law

zfollette@gmail.com 02-12-2013 01:52 AM

Re: slick progress bar

On Friday, February 1, 2013 11:12:01 AM UTC-8, Roedy Green wrote:
> I have noticed a few windows apps displaying progress as a moving
>
> green tide on the icon on the task bar. This lets you monitor
>
> progress of a minimised app.
>

> It would be nice if some of Java apps did that.
>

> Is there anything in the Java API that hooks up to it?
>
> is there a jni lib?
>

> here is some info on how it works under .net in Windows 7
>
> http://blogs.windows.com/windows/arc...ress-bars.aspx
>
> --
>
> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products http://mindprod.com
>
> The first 90% of the code accounts for the first 90% of the development time.
>
> The remaining 10% of the code accounts for the other 90% of the development
>
> time.
>
> ~ Tom Cargill Ninety-ninety Law

Could you possibly set the icon label to have a loading bar looking image and extend the size of it depending on the percentage it is loaded?

bob smith 02-12-2013 04:02 PM

Re: slick progress bar

On Friday, February 1, 2013 1:12:01 PM UTC-6, Roedy Green wrote:
> I have noticed a few windows apps displaying progress as a moving
>
> green tide on the icon on the task bar. This lets you monitor
>
> progress of a minimised app.
>

> It would be nice if some of Java apps did that.
>

> Is there anything in the Java API that hooks up to it?
>
> is there a jni lib?
>

> here is some info on how it works under .net in Windows 7
>
> http://blogs.windows.com/windows/arc...ress-bars.aspx
>
> --
>
> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products http://mindprod.com
>
> The first 90% of the code accounts for the first 90% of the development time.
>
> The remaining 10% of the code accounts for the other 90% of the development
>
> time.
>
> ~ Tom Cargill Ninety-ninety Law

For some reason, the image there doesn't work:

403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.

Maybe we could help more if we see an image?

Roedy Green 02-13-2013 12:25 AM

Re: slick progress bar

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 08:02:23 -0800 (PST), bob smith
<bob@coolfone.comze.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
who said :

>Maybe we could help more if we see an image?

It is not my website. TopStyle uses the feature. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/topstyle.html

Joerg Meier 02-13-2013 11:50 PM

Re: slick progress bar

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 16:25:29 -0800, Roedy Green wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 08:02:23 -0800 (PST), bob smith
> <bob@coolfone.comze.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
> who said :
>>Maybe we could help more if we see an image?

> It is not my website. TopStyle uses the feature. See
> http://mindprod.com/jgloss/topstyle.html

If you want people to help you, maybe you should go through the trouble of
installing said software and taking a screenshot. If even you don't care
enough to install it just to see that feature in action, why would anyone
else ?

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg

ungelesen.

Roedy Green 02-16-2013 03:01 AM

Re: slick progress bar

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 00:50:52 +0100, Joerg Meier <joergmmeier@arcor.de>

>If you want people to help you, maybe you should go through the trouble of
>installing said software and taking a screenshot. If even you don't care
>enough to install it just to see that feature in action, why would anyone
>else ?

I can give you a screenshot, see
http://mindprod.com/dropoff/progress.png
but I don't think you will find it very interesting. I thought you
would want to see it in action. This is a standard Windows C++
feature, so, if you are a windows user, once you see it, you will
likely recognise it.