Velocity Reviews

-   -   Old external flash OK for digital cam? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957173-old-external-flash-ok-for-digital-cam.html)

Ron 02-01-2013 02:59 AM

Old external flash OK for digital cam?

I have an old external flash, a Sunpak 333D. Used it with my old Nikon
FA but haven't used it on any camera since I went digital. Have heard
that some older flashes have high voltages present at the hot shoe that
could damage a digital camera. How can I tell if this flash is OK to use
with something like my Nikon D40?

--
_____________________________
Ron, the humblest guy in town

PeterN 02-01-2013 03:03 AM

Re: Old external flash OK for digital cam?

On 1/31/2013 9:59 PM, Ron wrote:
> I have an old external flash, a Sunpak 333D. Used it with my old Nikon
> FA but haven't used it on any camera since I went digital. Have heard
> that some older flashes have high voltages present at the hot shoe that
> could damage a digital camera. How can I tell if this flash is OK to use
> with something like my Nikon D40?

No need to find out. For about $10 you can buy a device that will sit
between your flash and the camera, that will protect your camera from
high voltagge. I just forgot what it is called.

--
PeterN

Tony Cooper 02-01-2013 04:08 AM

Re: Old external flash OK for digital cam?

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:59:52 -0800, RonTheGuy@null.invalid (Ron)
wrote:

>I have an old external flash, a Sunpak 333D. Used it with my old Nikon
>FA but haven't used it on any camera since I went digital. Have heard
>that some older flashes have high voltages present at the hot shoe that
>could damage a digital camera. How can I tell if this flash is OK to use
>with something like my Nikon D40?

Dunno about burning the camera, but the TTL function is lost.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Ron 02-01-2013 04:32 AM

Scott Schuckert <not@aol.com> wrote:

> In article <1kxkso5.iak9e312k1mjqN%RonTheGuy@null.invalid>, Ron
> <RonTheGuy@null.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I have an old external flash, a Sunpak 333D. Used it with my old Nikon
> > FA but haven't used it on any camera since I went digital. Have heard
> > that some older flashes have high voltages present at the hot shoe that
> > could damage a digital camera. How can I tell if this flash is OK to use
> > with something like my Nikon D40?

> According to DPAnswers.com, the trigger voltage for that flash is 4.3
> volts. Nikon DSLRs can generally withstand up to 250V, so you should be
> fine. I'd recommend, of course, that you confirm those figures with the
> respective manufacturers, if possible.
>
> If in doubt, sync regulators like the Wein Safe-Sync. can be used.

Thanks, gents. Good info.
--
_____________________________
Ron, the humblest guy in town

snapper@mailinator.com 02-01-2013 05:41 AM

Re: Old external flash OK for digital cam?

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:59:52 -0800, RonTheGuy@null.invalid (Ron) wrote:

> I have an old external flash, a Sunpak 333D. Used it with my old Nikon
> FA but haven't used it on any camera since I went digital. Have heard
> that some older flashes have high voltages present at the hot shoe that
> could damage a digital camera. How can I tell if this flash is OK to use
> with something like my Nikon D40?

It is safe according to:-

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Rob 02-03-2013 05:20 AM

On 2/02/2013 3:38 AM, ray carter wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:59:52 -0800, Ron wrote:
>
>> I have an old external flash, a Sunpak 333D. Used it with my old Nikon
>> FA but haven't used it on any camera since I went digital. Have heard
>> that some older flashes have high voltages present at the hot shoe that
>> could damage a digital camera. How can I tell if this flash is OK to use
>> with something like my Nikon D40?

> Another option might be a hot shoe slave to fire the flash.

Yep slave the flash and use the pop up flash as a light source.

David Dyer-Bennet 02-05-2013 07:31 AM

RonTheGuy@null.invalid (Ron) writes:

> I have an old external flash, a Sunpak 333D. Used it with my old Nikon
> FA but haven't used it on any camera since I went digital. Have heard
> that some older flashes have high voltages present at the hot shoe that
> could damage a digital camera. How can I tell if this flash is OK to use
> with something like my Nikon D40?

It won't work with iTTL, though; just A or manual, I believe. They had
to design a completely new TTL mode for digital because the sensor
reflectivity wasn't anything like film reflectivity (and the new mode
doesn't work nearly as well, drat it).
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

nospam 02-05-2013 07:21 PM

Re: Old external flash OK for digital cam?

In article <510b307e$0$10793$8f2e0ebb@news.shared-secrets.com>, PeterN
<peter.newnospal@verizon.net> wrote:

> > I have an old external flash, a Sunpak 333D. Used it with my old Nikon
> > FA but haven't used it on any camera since I went digital. Have heard
> > that some older flashes have high voltages present at the hot shoe that
> > could damage a digital camera. How can I tell if this flash is OK to use
> > with something like my Nikon D40?

> No need to find out. For about $10 you can buy a device that will sit
> between your flash and the camera, that will protect your camera from
> high voltagge. I just forgot what it is called.

wein safe sync and it's *much* more than $10. it's also not needed.

nospam 02-05-2013 07:21 PM

Re: Old external flash OK for digital cam?

In article <ylfklib32p45.fsf@dd-b.net>, David Dyer-Bennet
<dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:

> > I have an old external flash, a Sunpak 333D. Used it with my old Nikon
> > FA but haven't used it on any camera since I went digital. Have heard
> > that some older flashes have high voltages present at the hot shoe that
> > could damage a digital camera. How can I tell if this flash is OK to use
> > with something like my Nikon D40?

> It won't work with iTTL, though; just A or manual, I believe. They had
> to design a completely new TTL mode for digital because the sensor
> reflectivity wasn't anything like film reflectivity (and the new mode
> doesn't work nearly as well, drat it).

the new ittl is *much* better and far more capable than the old ttl
ever was.

David Dyer-Bennet 02-06-2013 04:38 AM

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> writes:

> In article <ylfklib32p45.fsf@dd-b.net>, David Dyer-Bennet
> <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>
>> > I have an old external flash, a Sunpak 333D. Used it with my old Nikon
>> > FA but haven't used it on any camera since I went digital. Have heard
>> > that some older flashes have high voltages present at the hot shoe that
>> > could damage a digital camera. How can I tell if this flash is OK to use
>> > with something like my Nikon D40?

>> It won't work with iTTL, though; just A or manual, I believe. They had
>> to design a completely new TTL mode for digital because the sensor
>> reflectivity wasn't anything like film reflectivity (and the new mode
>> doesn't work nearly as well, drat it).

> the new ittl is *much* better and far more capable than the old ttl
> ever was.

Not for producing accurately exposed pictures it isn't. The whole CLS
thing for controlling a group of flashes is pretty neat -- except that
it introduces enough delays that animals I've tried to use it with ALL
manage to blink during the actual exposure (it does test flashes in each
group, and then uses communication flashes to tell each group what power
to select, so that's a lot of pre-flash).
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info