Velocity Reviews

-   -   Exacting Precision From Near or Afar: Nikon's Newest NIKKOR Lenses (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957160-exacting-precision-from-near-or-afar-nikons-newest-nikkor-lenses.html)

me 01-31-2013 08:54 PM

Exacting Precision From Near or Afar: Nikon's Newest NIKKOR Lenses

http://preview.tinyurl.com/bk7chrd

Nikon Continues to Expand Upon the NIKKOR Lens Lineup with the New
AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Super-Telephoto Lens and AF-S
NIKKOR18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Wide-Angle Lens

MELVILLE, N.Y. Today, Nikon Inc. introduced the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm
f/5.6E FL ED VR super-telephoto lens and AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm
f/3.5-4.5G ED ultra-wide-angle zoom lens, designed to assist
FX-format photographers in capturing their subjects with clarity and
precision. Specifically engineered for sports, wildlife and
photojournalists, the 800mm f/5.6 offers the longest focal length of
any NIKKOR autofocus (AF) lens, affording photographers the
opportunity to get closer to their subject with extreme telephoto
capability. Additionally, the compact and lightweight 18-35mm
f/3.5-4.5 is an ultra-wide-angle lens option with a 1.9x zoom range
is an ideal focal length for landscape photography and other
wide-angle applications.

PeterN 01-31-2013 09:19 PM

Re: Exacting Precision From Near or Afar: Nikon's Newest NIKKOR Lenses

On 1/31/2013 3:54 PM, me wrote:
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/bk7chrd
>

> Nikon Continues to Expand Upon the NIKKOR Lens Lineup with the New
> AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Super-Telephoto Lens and AF-S
> NIKKOR18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Wide-Angle Lens
>
> MELVILLE, N.Y. Today, Nikon Inc. introduced the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm
> f/5.6E FL ED VR super-telephoto lens and AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm
> f/3.5-4.5G ED ultra-wide-angle zoom lens, designed to assist
> FX-format photographers in capturing their subjects with clarity and
> precision. Specifically engineered for sports, wildlife and
> photojournalists, the 800mm f/5.6 offers the longest focal length of
> any NIKKOR autofocus (AF) lens, affording photographers the
> opportunity to get closer to their subject with extreme telephoto
> capability. Additionally, the compact and lightweight 18-35mm
> f/3.5-4.5 is an ultra-wide-angle lens option with a 1.9x zoom range
> is an ideal focal length for landscape photography and other
> wide-angle applications.

Yeah! I just picked up the new lens lineup. I hope my drool doesn't Fu
my keyboard. I don't understand why they incorporate VR in a lens that
weighs 178 ounces.

--
PeterN

nick c 01-31-2013 09:39 PM

On 1/31/2013 12:54 PM, me wrote:
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/bk7chrd
>

> Nikon Continues to Expand Upon the NIKKOR Lens Lineup with the New
> AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Super-Telephoto Lens and AF-S
> NIKKOR18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Wide-Angle Lens
>
> MELVILLE, N.Y. Today, Nikon Inc. introduced the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm
> f/5.6E FL ED VR super-telephoto lens and AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm
> f/3.5-4.5G ED ultra-wide-angle zoom lens, designed to assist
> FX-format photographers in capturing their subjects with clarity and
> precision. Specifically engineered for sports, wildlife and
> photojournalists, the 800mm f/5.6 offers the longest focal length of
> any NIKKOR autofocus (AF) lens, affording photographers the
> opportunity to get closer to their subject with extreme telephoto
> capability. Additionally, the compact and lightweight 18-35mm
> f/3.5-4.5 is an ultra-wide-angle lens option with a 1.9x zoom range
> is an ideal focal length for landscape photography and other
> wide-angle applications.

Just thinking about the 800 F5.6 lens has my salivating glands working.

me 01-31-2013 11:08 PM

Re: Exacting Precision From Near or Afar: Nikon's Newest NIKKOR Lenses

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:39:43 -0800, nick c <nchen711@ontheverizon.net>
wrote:

>Just thinking about the 800 F5.6 lens has my salivating glands working.

I'm not sure what scares me more, the ~U$18kmsrp or the 10+# weight.

PeterN 02-01-2013 02:38 AM

On 1/31/2013 6:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-01-31 15:08:42 -0800, me <me@mine.net> said:
>
>> On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:39:43 -0800, nick c <nchen711@ontheverizon.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Just thinking about the 800 F5.6 lens has my salivating glands working.

>> I'm not sure what scares me more, the ~U$18kmsrp or the 10+# weight.

> This is the type of lens you rent for a project, along with a gimbal head.
> < http://www.lensprotogo.com/ >

My friends who have large & heavy lenses, all use a Gimbal head. Tht and
the requisite heavy tripod add a lot of weight. the good side is the
increased weight will be offset by a lighter wallet.

--
PeterN

Trevor 02-01-2013 02:49 AM

"PeterN" <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Yeah! I just picked up the new lens lineup. I hope my drool doesn't Fu my
> keyboard. I don't understand why they incorporate VR in a lens that weighs
> 178 ounces.

Some people like the ability to hand hold at slow shutter speeds.

Trevor.

Robert Coe 02-01-2013 03:19 AM

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:54:17 -0500, me <me@mine.net> wrote:
: http://preview.tinyurl.com/bk7chrd
:
:
: Nikon Continues to Expand Upon the NIKKOR Lens Lineup with the New
: AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Super-Telephoto Lens and AF-S
: NIKKOR18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Wide-Angle Lens
:
: MELVILLE, N.Y. Today, Nikon Inc. introduced the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm
: f/5.6E FL ED VR super-telephoto lens and AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm
: f/3.5-4.5G ED ultra-wide-angle zoom lens, designed to assist
: FX-format photographers in capturing their subjects with clarity and
: precision. Specifically engineered for sports, wildlife and
: photojournalists, the 800mm f/5.6 offers the longest focal length of
: any NIKKOR autofocus (AF) lens, ...

And how many zeros should we assume will appear in the price of that doggie?
;^)

Bob

Wally 02-01-2013 06:42 AM

Re: Exacting Precision From Near or Afar: Nikon's Newest NIKKOR Lenses

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 19:40:44 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-01-31 19:19:06 -0800, Robert Coe <bob@1776.COM> said:
>
>> On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:54:17 -0500, me <me@mine.net> wrote:
>> : http://preview.tinyurl.com/bk7chrd
>> :
>> :
>> : Nikon Continues to Expand Upon the NIKKOR Lens Lineup with the New
>> : AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Super-Telephoto Lens and AF-S
>> : NIKKOR18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Wide-Angle Lens
>> :
>> : MELVILLE, N.Y. Today, Nikon Inc. introduced the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm
>> : f/5.6E FL ED VR super-telephoto lens and AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm
>> : f/3.5-4.5G ED ultra-wide-angle zoom lens, designed to assist
>> : FX-format photographers in capturing their subjects with clarity and
>> : precision. Specifically engineered for sports, wildlife and
>> : photojournalists, the 800mm f/5.6 offers the longest focal length of
>> : any NIKKOR autofocus (AF) lens, ...
>>
>> And how many zeros should we assume will appear in the price of that doggie?
>> ;^)
>>
>> Bob

>3 zeros preceded by an "18".
>
>I decided some time back that if I had a need for exotic glass for a
>weekend or a week, rental was the sensible way to go.

Florida is a birder's paradise, and I would love to be let loose there
with a 500 or 600 or 800mm lens. Buying could not be justified, nor
would it be easy transporting big lenses by air together with their
tripods and gimbal heads. So renting would seem to be the answer. But
just try finding big glass for rent in Miami. I have and failed.

RichA 02-01-2013 02:54 PM

On Jan 31, 9:38*pm, PeterN <peter.newnos...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 1/31/2013 6:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:
>
> > On 2013-01-31 15:08:42 -0800, me <m...@mine.net> said:

> >> I'm not sure what scares me more, the ~U$18kmsrp or the 10+# weight.

> > This is the type of lens you rent for a project, along with a gimbal head.
> > <http://www.lensprotogo.com/>

> My friends who have large & heavy lenses, all use a Gimbal head.

Most of them are hugely under-gunned for what is needed. A top-flight
tripod (if you can carry it) is needed for an 800mm lens. I've got
one of these. If you have a spare $2000-$4000 for the tripod and
$1000 for they head, they are some of the best.

http://www.quickset.com/products-tec...rable-tripods/

PeterN 02-01-2013 03:45 PM

On 2/1/2013 9:54 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Jan 31, 9:38 pm, PeterN <peter.newnos...@verizon.net> wrote:

>>> This is the type of lens you rent for a project, along with a gimbal head.
>>> <http://www.lensprotogo.com/>

>> My friends who have large & heavy lenses, all use a Gimbal head.

> Most of them are hugely under-gunned for what is needed. A top-flight
> tripod (if you can carry it) is needed for an 800mm lens. I've got
> one of these. If you have a spare $2000-$4000 for the tripod and
> $1000 for they head, they are some of the best.
>
> http://www.quickset.com/products-tec...rable-tripods/

I think that is overkill for the average amateur, to say the least. You
don't need 400lb capacity. I have a Cullman, which is more than ample
for that weight. The cost is considerably less.

<http://www.cullmann.de/en/tripods.html>

You are right about the cost of the Gimbal, with all bells & whistles.

--
PeterN