Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: [Distutils] A new script which creates Python 3.3 venvs withDistribute and pip installed in them (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957143-re-distutils-a-new-script-which-creates-python-3-3-venvs-withdistribute-and-pip-installed-in-them.html)

Philippe Ombredanne 01-31-2013 09:05 AM

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:09 PM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Python 3.3 includes a script, pyvenv, which is used to create virtual environments.
> However, Distribute and pip are not installed in such environments - because,
> though they are popular, they are third-party packages - not part of Python.
> The Python 3.3 venv machinery allows customisation of virtual environments
> fairly readily. To demonstrate how to do this, and to provide at the same time
> a script which might be useful to people, I've created a script, pyvenvex.py, at
> https://gist.github.com/4673395
> which extends the pyvenv script to not only create virtual environments, but to also install Distribute and pip into them.

Excellent and one step closer to sane package management ....
I wonder if you could not source instead the code that is directly in
the virtualenv.py scripts? it also includes the packed distribute and
pip ....
Meaning that would allow the installation entirely offline (with the
--never-download venv flag)

And btw, why pip is not part of the standard Python? This is nowadays
officially recommended on Pypi as the tool to use to install
package....
Per http://pypi.python.org/pypi
"Get Packages: To use a package from this index either "pip install
package" (get pip) or download, unpack and "python setup.py install"
it."

This does not make sense to me: I know about some of the controversies
..... but this is rather inconsistent to recommend using a tool and
not supporting it directly.

--
Philippe Ombredanne

+1 650 799 0949 | pombredanne@nexB.com