Velocity Reviews

-   -   Just want a simple setup for a sipgate number to one analogue phone. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957051-just-want-a-simple-setup-for-a-sipgate-number-to-one-analogue-phone.html)

brightside S9 01-29-2013 04:28 PM

Just want a simple setup for a sipgate number to one analogue phone.

I have had a sipgate number for several years. It was once used or
producing emails from incoming calls. It is still working OK, I just
tested it.

Due to SWMBO hogging the phone for hours at a time I need to use this
Sipgate number to allow incoming calls to this Sipgate number to ring
a second analogue phone connected to an ATA (no BT line will be
connected to this second phone).

Would anyone care to recommend a reliable ATA for a reasonable price,
and easy / simple to configure. The ATA is to be connected to a LAN
port of a Netgear DG834G.

Thanks.

--
brightside S9

cybuerke 01-29-2013 07:28 PM

Re: Just want a simple setup for a sipgate number to one analoguephone.

brightside S9 wrote:
> I have had a sipgate number for several years. It was once used or
> producing emails from incoming calls. It is still working OK, I just
> tested it.
>
> Due to SWMBO hogging the phone for hours at a time I need to use this
> Sipgate number to allow incoming calls to this Sipgate number to ring
> a second analogue phone connected to an ATA (no BT line will be
> connected to this second phone).
>
> Would anyone care to recommend a reliable ATA for a reasonable price,
> and easy / simple to configure. The ATA is to be connected to a LAN
> port of a Netgear DG834G.
>
> Thanks.

Obi 100 - in regular use for over a year, and it hasn't failed me yet

<http://www.amazon.co.uk/OBi100-UK-Internet-Phone-Adaptor-Required/dp/B005FSTM0G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359487040&sr=8-2>

Theo Markettos 01-29-2013 10:01 PM

brightside S9 <address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote:
> Would anyone care to recommend a reliable ATA for a reasonable price,
> and easy / simple to configure. The ATA is to be connected to a LAN
> port of a Netgear DG834G.

Years ago the PAP2 used to do this job, and there were plenty floating
around. I picked one up at a car boot for a few quid. There appear to be a
number on ebay currently.

On the subject, is there a more recent ATA at a decent price with the
functionality of an SPA3102 - ie supports multiple SIP providers selected by
dialplan?

Theo

Bob Eager 01-29-2013 10:20 PM

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:01:23 +0000, Theo Markettos wrote:

> brightside S9 <address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote:
>> Would anyone care to recommend a reliable ATA for a reasonable price,
>> and easy / simple to configure. The ATA is to be connected to a LAN
>> port of a Netgear DG834G.

> Years ago the PAP2 used to do this job, and there were plenty floating
> around. I picked one up at a car boot for a few quid. There appear to
> be a number on ebay currently.
>
> On the subject, is there a more recent ATA at a decent price with the
> functionality of an SPA3102 - ie supports multiple SIP providers
> selected by dialplan?

The SPA3102 is still current kit and very good - I bought one recently to
'fill a gap'. About £50 from Amazon. The SPA112 is only £40, also current
- that is all you need - the SPA3102 is overkill as you don't need the
FXS port. Actually, the SPA112 has *two" FXO ports so you could have
another VoIP number and have calls to that too.

I like this kit - I also have an old SPA200, and the rather hefty SPA8000
(still current too).

Theo Markettos 01-29-2013 10:46 PM

Bob Eager <news0001@eager.cx> wrote:
> The SPA3102 is still current kit and very good - I bought one recently to
> 'fill a gap'. About £50 from Amazon. The SPA112 is only £40, also current
> - that is all you need - the SPA3102 is overkill as you don't need the
> FXS port. Actually, the SPA112 has *two" FXO ports so you could have
> another VoIP number and have calls to that too.

One other option I might try is uelastix on a Raspberry Pi: I already have a
PAP2, I already have a Pi, and it might be more flexible than an SPA3102 yet
less painful than writing raw Asterisk.

Theo

Graham. 01-29-2013 11:01 PM

Re: Just want a simple setup for a sipgate number to one analogue phone.

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 16:28:55 +0000, brightside S9
<address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote:

>I have had a sipgate number for several years. It was once used or
>producing emails from incoming calls. It is still working OK, I just
>tested it.
>
>Due to SWMBO hogging the phone for hours at a time I need to use this
>Sipgate number to allow incoming calls to this Sipgate number to ring
>a second analogue phone connected to an ATA (no BT line will be
>connected to this second phone).
>
>Would anyone care to recommend a reliable ATA for a reasonable price,
>and easy / simple to configure. The ATA is to be connected to a LAN
>port of a Netgear DG834G.
>
>Thanks.

Linksys PAP2 from various Hong Kong Ebay sellers, for about 15
shipped.

The PAP2 has 2 FXS ports and can be considered as two independent ATAs
in one box.

Bob Eager 01-29-2013 11:38 PM

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:20:26 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:01:23 +0000, Theo Markettos wrote:
>
>> brightside S9 <address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote:
>>> Would anyone care to recommend a reliable ATA for a reasonable price,
>>> and easy / simple to configure. The ATA is to be connected to a LAN
>>> port of a Netgear DG834G.

>> Years ago the PAP2 used to do this job, and there were plenty floating
>> around. I picked one up at a car boot for a few quid. There appear to
>> be a number on ebay currently.
>>
>> On the subject, is there a more recent ATA at a decent price with the
>> functionality of an SPA3102 - ie supports multiple SIP providers
>> selected by dialplan?

> The SPA3102 is still current kit and very good - I bought one recently
> to 'fill a gap'. About £50 from Amazon. The SPA112 is only £40, also
> current - that is all you need - the SPA3102 is overkill as you don't
> need the FXS port. Actually, the SPA112 has *two" FXO ports so you could
> have another VoIP number and have calls to that too.
>
> I like this kit - I also have an old SPA200, and the rather hefty
> SPA8000 (still current too).

I reversed FXS/FXO there...sorry.

Bob Eager 01-29-2013 11:39 PM

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 23:01:22 +0000, Graham. wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 16:28:55 +0000, brightside S9
> <address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote:
>
>>I have had a sipgate number for several years. It was once used or
>>producing emails from incoming calls. It is still working OK, I just
>>tested it.
>>
>>Due to SWMBO hogging the phone for hours at a time I need to use this
>>Sipgate number to allow incoming calls to this Sipgate number to ring a
>>second analogue phone connected to an ATA (no BT line will be connected
>>to this second phone).
>>
>>Would anyone care to recommend a reliable ATA for a reasonable price,
>>and easy / simple to configure. The ATA is to be connected to a LAN
>>port of a Netgear DG834G.
>>
>>Thanks.

> Linksys PAP2 from various Hong Kong Ebay sellers, for about £15 shipped.

I ordered two of these, from two different HK sellers. Both kept me
hanging on until PayPal's refund deadline had passed, and disappeared. I
never got goods or refund from either of them.

Bob Eager 01-29-2013 11:40 PM

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:46:10 +0000, Theo Markettos wrote:

> Bob Eager <news0001@eager.cx> wrote:
>> The SPA3102 is still current kit and very good - I bought one recently
>> to 'fill a gap'. About £50 from Amazon. The SPA112 is only £40, also
>> current - that is all you need - the SPA3102 is overkill as you don't
>> need the FXS port. Actually, the SPA112 has *two" FXO ports so you
>> could have another VoIP number and have calls to that too.

> One other option I might try is uelastix on a Raspberry Pi: I already
> have a PAP2, I already have a Pi, and it might be more flexible than an
> SPA3102 yet less painful than writing raw Asterisk.

What does the Pi gain you? The PAP2T does all that was asked for.

Woody 01-30-2013 08:11 AM

"Graham." <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 16:28:55 +0000, brightside S9
> <address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote:
>
>>I have had a sipgate number for several years. It was once used
>>or
>>producing emails from incoming calls. It is still working OK, I
>>just
>>tested it.
>>
>>Due to SWMBO hogging the phone for hours at a time I need to
>>use this
>>Sipgate number to allow incoming calls to this Sipgate number
>>to ring
>>a second analogue phone connected to an ATA (no BT line will
>>be
>>connected to this second phone).
>>
>>Would anyone care to recommend a reliable ATA for a reasonable
>>price,
>>and easy / simple to configure. The ATA is to be connected to
>>a LAN
>>port of a Netgear DG834G.
>>
>>Thanks.

> Linksys PAP2 from various Hong Kong Ebay sellers, for about 15
> shipped.
>
> The PAP2 has 2 FXS ports and can be considered as two
> independent ATAs
> in one box.

Try Googling analogue telephone adapter and you will get loads.
In addition to the PAP2 (don't forget Linksys is now owned by
Cisco) Grandstream have always been good products in this field
as have Sipura (which are now part of Linksys.) Also look at
products by Zoom and Zyxel which again have always had a good
reputation in the past. Linksys products with type numbers
starting SPA are ex Sipura and from my experience are easier to
set up than the PAPT2.

Have you considered a voip phone? Yealink are, I am informed, a
good product in addition to the regular Siemens Gigaset products.

Have a look at www.internetvoipphone.co.uk or www.voipon.co.uk as
a start. You have the advantage of being a Sipgate user which
gives you access to their support pages where you will find
complete setup configs for using many products in the UK -
getting the ringing cadence and dial/engaged(etc) tones correct
for a start.

Many of the ATAs have a built-in server so can sit between the
modem and a PC, but any will work equally well on a router
output. You may however on some routers (I don't think it applies
on yours) have to forward some ports or port ranges to make sure
that comms can take place as needed.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com