Velocity Reviews

-   -   Reading Code Standard (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957050-reading-code-standard.html)

subhabangalore@gmail.com 01-29-2013 04:29 PM

Reading Code Standard

Dear Group,

The suggestions and the solutions given by the learned members of the group are very nice. Thank you for your kind time.

Now as a new learner of the language, I am trying to consolidate my learning.

I want to read about good coding standards, and read some good codes in its various aspects.

I was trying to search there are quite a few. But if you can kindly suggest.

Thanking You in Advance,

Regards,
Subhabrata.

Mikhail Vladimirov 01-29-2013 05:18 PM

Re: Reading Code Standard

Maybe official conventions from Oracle is a good starting point: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...nv-138413.html

Lew 01-29-2013 09:14 PM

Re: Reading Code Standard

Martin Gregorie wrote:
> subhabangalore wrote:
>> The suggestions and the solutions given by the learned members of the
>> group are very nice. Thank you for your kind time.

>> Now as a new learner of the language, I am trying to consolidate my
>> learning.

>> I want to read about good coding standards, and read some good codes in
>> its various aspects.

> I think "The Practice of Programming" by Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike is
> well worth having. It describes good approached to naming, program layout
> and writing programs so they are easier to debug and maintain. There's
> not a lot about Java in it (its main focus is on C) but what it says is
> generally applicable to block structured languages: it gives examples in
> C, C++, Java, and Perl but its suggestions would be equally applicable to
> Python and Pascal.

As mentioned upthread, there are standards specific to Java.

They boil down to:
- Use camel case for identifiers except constant variables.
- Start variable and method names (except constant variables) with a lower-case letter.
- Start type names with an upper-case letter.
- Constant variables are spelled with all upper case, with word parts separated by underscores.
- Do not use underscores for any other identifiers, and do not use the dollar sign "$" in identifiers.
- Indent four spaces (or two) per indent level. DO NOT USE TAB CHARACTERS TO INDENT.
- Enclose all sub-statements (conditional blocks, loop blocks, initializers, ...) in braces.
- Use either K&R brace placement or put the opening brace on its own line aligned with the
control line. (The second approach is unofficial but widely used.)
- Declare static variables (constants first), then static methods, then instance variables, then
instance methods within a type. (Reasonable deviations exist.)
- Use fully descriptive variable names. (Avoid shorthand like 'int s = ...'.)
- Javadoc all elements accessible outside the type.
- Names should reflect algorithmic purpose, not data type.

There's more, but that'll get you started.

--
Lew

Arne Vajh°j 01-29-2013 10:55 PM

Re: Reading Code Standard

On 1/29/2013 11:29 AM, subhabangalore@gmail.com wrote:
> The suggestions and the solutions given by the learned members of the group are very nice. Thank you for your kind time.
>
> Now as a new learner of the language, I am trying to consolidate my learning.
>
> I want to read about good coding standards, and read some good codes in its various aspects.
>
> I was trying to search there are quite a few. But if you can kindly suggest.

For a specific coding convention for Java go for the SUN (now Oracle)
Java Coding Convention.

For the reason behind using a coding convention go for a book
like Code Complete.

Arne