Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Pinhole shots of the Civil War (re-enactments) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957048-re-pinhole-shots-of-the-civil-war-re-enactments.html)

Rob 01-29-2013 01:37 PM

On 29/01/2013 9:26 PM, bugbear wrote:
> Alan Browne wrote:
>>
>> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/
>>
>> A writeup by the photographer on his pinhole cameras and his quest to
>> document civil war re-enactments.
>>
>> One of my favourites:
>> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.fil...tysburg149.jpg
>>

>> I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens
>> adaptor and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may
>> be quite noise prone, however...

> Just take multiple exposures at a duration where noise isn't an issue,
> and merge (average) them.
>
> It's what astrophotographers do all the time.
>
> BugBear

Would taking multiple exposures work in this situation - pinhole shots
do give a soft image. An example, a busy crowded building long exposure
gives a soft movement within the people and sharp edges of walls and
corners. Astro shots - individual shots render a sharp star trail.

May have to try and see what happens.

Interesting - digital is a whole new ball game as compared to film,
long and short exposures don't seem to have that reciprocity failure to
cope with.

Wolfgang Weisselberg 02-03-2013 05:31 PM

Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
> On 2013.01.29 08:37 , Rob wrote:

>> Interesting - digital is a whole new ball game as compared to film, long
>> and short exposures don't seem to have that reciprocity failure to cope
>> with.

> What digital makes up for in reciprocity failure it more than
> compensates for in noise...

Whereas good old chemical film is grain free and can be
averaged over multiple exposures easily?

-Wolfgang

PeterN 02-05-2013 12:43 AM

On 2/3/2013 12:31 PM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
> Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>> On 2013.01.29 08:37 , Rob wrote:

>>> Interesting - digital is a whole new ball game as compared to film, long
>>> and short exposures don't seem to have that reciprocity failure to cope
>>> with.

>> What digital makes up for in reciprocity failure it more than
>> compensates for in noise...

> Whereas good old chemical film is grain free and can be
> averaged over multiple exposures easily?
>
> -Wolfgang

Obviously, you have never shot film.

Although I do not like to ust cite Wikepedia, there is sufficient
information to show how wrong you are.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_grain>

--
PeterN
Beware the trolling wolf

PeterN 02-05-2013 04:09 PM

On 2/4/2013 9:12 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-02-04 16:43:25 -0800, PeterN <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> said:

>>> Whereas good old chemical film is grain free and can be
>>> averaged over multiple exposures easily?
>>>
>>> -Wolfgang
>>>

>> Obviously, you have never shot film.
>>
>> Although I do not like to ust cite Wikepedia, there is sufficient
>> information to show how wrong you are.
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_grain>

> I have a feeling you are responding to Wolfgang's demonstration of
> Teutonic sarcasm.

I missed it.

--
PeterN

Wolfgang Weisselberg 02-07-2013 03:57 PM

PeterN <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 2/4/2013 9:12 PM, Savageduck wrote:

>>> Obviously, you have never shot film.

>>> Although I do not like to ust cite Wikepedia, there is sufficient
>>> information to show how wrong you are.
>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_grain>

>> I have a feeling you are responding to Wolfgang's demonstration of
>> Teutonic sarcasm.

> I missed it.

Don't feel bad, it was very subtle, sort of like the bombardment
and the subsequent landing in Normandy.
The Führer *knew* the real landing would happen in Calais.

-Wolfgang

John Turco 02-10-2013 04:07 AM

On 2/7/2013 9:57 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
> PeterN <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> wrote:

>>> I have a feeling you are responding to Wolfgang's demonstration of
>>> Teutonic sarcasm.

>> I missed it.

> Don't feel bad, it was very subtle, sort of like the bombardment
> and the subsequent landing in Normandy.
> The Führer *knew* the real landing would happen in Calais.
>
> -Wolfgang

So speaks the "Teutonic Knight" of Usenet!

John